Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Default Firework and bulldogs

With 4th of July around the corner and the anticipation of loud booms, what do you do with your Bully to help comfort them while the fireworks are going off?

Curly has only experienced one 4th of July where there were fireworks booming around the neighborhood and he spent most of the evening hiding under the kitchen table. I tried to take him out around midnight and people were still shooting fireworks so he ran back into the house.

This year, Curly will be spending 4th of July with my sister who lives in Center City Philadelphia, and as you can imagine there will be a lot of fireworks going off.

Long short of things, what do you do to keep your bully's stress down while there are fire works going off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Firework and bulldogs

@nubonics I am out in the country-not so many fireworks/noise. Since Curley is having so many changes,and won't be with his regular family-maybe a thundershirt might be a help for him on the 4th-making him feel more secure. What I have heard,they really do help.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes nubonics, dieMuttivonBifi, oscarmayer liked this post
    Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

@Manydogs Coming from LA to the east coast with curly he hadn't even experienced a thunderstorm (which he is surprisingly okay with). Fireworks though is a different story though!

I was actually wondering about the thundershirt for him - I will look into this. The only concern is that he hates things wrapped around him like harnesses, any sweaters - he's good with jackets that sit on his back with a strap around his chest. So hopefully it doesn't stress him out even more... We'll give it a few tries before the 4th to make sure it calms him...

check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

5. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

I turn the TV on loud here, close all doors and windows on New years. People tell me they get this mild sedatives in tablet form from vets to help their dog relax during fireworks. Never tried them though. But like Lynn @Manydogs adviced, I will as soon try thundershirts on my boy than give him sedatives. Love yah Lynn you're the best!

7. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We just try to stay calm, and when they bark at the noise, we tell them NO, eventually they settle down. Now they pretty much ignore them.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

9. Likes 1Chumly, Cali Doll liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nubonics View Post
    With 4th of July around the corner and the anticipation of loud booms, what do you do with your Bully to help comfort them while the fireworks are going off?

Curly has only experienced one 4th of July where there were fireworks booming around the neighborhood and he spent most of the evening hiding under the kitchen table. I tried to take him out around midnight and people were still shooting fireworks so he ran back into the house.

This year, Curly will be spending 4th of July with my sister who lives in Center City Philadelphia, and as you can imagine there will be a lot of fireworks going off.

Long short of things, what do you do to keep your bully's stress down while there are fire works going off?

Hi Nu.

First...we give them a product called Composure by Vetri Science. Second...we take them outside before it is totally dark or for Stu...Early Evening Nautical Twilight.

We watch TV with the sound up a little more than we usually have it.

Hope this helps.

11. Likes nubonics, CCandMurray liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vader and Reya
    Likes (Received)

I just won't wake Vader up and he will be fine.
    Reya I will stick my head into their area and say it's all okay every now and then.
    They are pretty good with noise, now moving the trash can or placing an item in their area while they are sleeping is another story.

13. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

She's not much of a barker at all, but she'll bark when startled by fireworks. Actually, she only barks when genuinely scared by something. I just talk to her calmly and tell her it's going to be OK.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

Real Name
    Tina
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molina
    Likes (Received)

Last night was Molina's first experience with fireworks and she seemed completely unfazed. My other dog (boston terrier) used to be very upset by them and I would do the windows closed and TV or music up loud.

I LOL'd at the "moving garbage can" statement Molina runs far away any time I open a garbage bag to put in the can.

16. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
    Likes (Received)

Harley didn't do so well. Between the city fireworks show and the neighbors popping Black Cats, my poor little girl was a shaking mess who tried to climb on me like a cat. We sat together on the couch most of the night with her right next me the entire time. Next July 4th we will have to get her a sedative.

18. Likes nubonics liked this post
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have to say Frith was pretty good with fireworks this , her first year. That is until the cannon . . .We live in maine and for the longest time there were no fireworks allowed. Now they are pretty much every weekend through summer. So, some people get creative in celebration, and our neighbor lights up his cannon on special occasions. Black powder club here is big. She was sound asleep, cannons are loud, and the percussion from them is like the scene from back to the future with the guitar amp. Frith went OCD, at everything and nothing. She was so confused it was funny.

I hope everyone's pups made it through another year.
    And thunder jackets are a 50/50 shot according to our vet.
    Fritthy

Remove Ads