Firework and bulldogs

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
With 4th of July around the corner and the anticipation of loud booms, what do you do with your Bully to help comfort them while the fireworks are going off?

Curly has only experienced one 4th of July where there were fireworks booming around the neighborhood and he spent most of the evening hiding under the kitchen table. I tried to take him out around midnight and people were still shooting fireworks so he ran back into the house.

This year, Curly will be spending 4th of July with my sister who lives in Center City Philadelphia, and as you can imagine there will be a lot of fireworks going off.

Long short of things, what do you do to keep your bully's stress down while there are fire works going off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] I am out in the country-not so many fireworks/noise. Since Curley is having so many changes,and won't be with his regular family-maybe a thundershirt might be a help for him on the 4th-making him feel more secure. What I have heard,they really do help.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Coming from LA to the east coast with curly he hadn't even experienced a thunderstorm (which he is surprisingly okay with). Fireworks though is a different story though!

I was actually wondering about the thundershirt for him - I will look into this. The only concern is that he hates things wrapped around him like harnesses, any sweaters - he's good with jackets that sit on his back with a strap around his chest. So hopefully it doesn't stress him out even more... We'll give it a few tries before the 4th to make sure it calms him...

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I turn the TV on loud here, close all doors and windows on New years. People tell me they get this mild sedatives in tablet form from vets to help their dog relax during fireworks. Never tried them though. But like Lynn [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] adviced, I will as soon try thundershirts on my boy than give him sedatives. Love yah Lynn you're the best!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We just try to stay calm, and when they bark at the noise, we tell them NO, eventually they settle down. Now they pretty much ignore them.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
With 4th of July around the corner and the anticipation of loud booms, what do you do with your Bully to help comfort them while the fireworks are going off?

Curly has only experienced one 4th of July where there were fireworks booming around the neighborhood and he spent most of the evening hiding under the kitchen table. I tried to take him out around midnight and people were still shooting fireworks so he ran back into the house.

This year, Curly will be spending 4th of July with my sister who lives in Center City Philadelphia, and as you can imagine there will be a lot of fireworks going off.

Long short of things, what do you do to keep your bully's stress down while there are fire works going off?

Hi Nu.

First...we give them a product called Composure by Vetri Science. Second...we take them outside before it is totally dark or for Stu...Early Evening Nautical Twilight.

We watch TV with the sound up a little more than we usually have it.

Hope this helps.

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
I just won't wake Vader up and he will be fine. :yes:
Reya I will stick my head into their area and say it's all okay every now and then.
They are pretty good with noise, now moving the trash can or placing an item in their area while they are sleeping is another story. :)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
She's not much of a barker at all, but she'll bark when startled by fireworks. Actually, she only barks when genuinely scared by something. I just talk to her calmly and tell her it's going to be OK.

MolinaMama

May 29, 2016
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molina
Last night was Molina's first experience with fireworks and she seemed completely unfazed. My other dog (boston terrier) used to be very upset by them and I would do the windows closed and TV or music up loud.

I LOL'd at the "moving garbage can" statement :yes: Molina runs far away any time I open a garbage bag to put in the can.

jfulen

Dec 19, 2015
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
Harley didn't do so well. Between the city fireworks show and the neighbors popping Black Cats, my poor little girl was a shaking mess who tried to climb on me like a cat. We sat together on the couch most of the night with her right next me the entire time. Next July 4th we will have to get her a sedative.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I have to say Frith was pretty good with fireworks this , her first year. That is until the cannon . . .We live in maine and for the longest time there were no fireworks allowed. Now they are pretty much every weekend through summer. So, some people get creative in celebration, and our neighbor lights up his cannon on special occasions. Black powder club here is big. She was sound asleep, cannons are loud, and the percussion from them is like the scene from back to the future with the guitar amp. Frith went OCD, at everything and nothing. She was so confused it was funny.

I hope everyone's pups made it through another year.
And thunder jackets are a 50/50 shot according to our vet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.