Is it too late?

Brian Karn

May 6, 2016
So I'd never had 2 dogs at the same time before and almost a year ago, we brought Diesel home.

Our yellow lab Daisy had always been the only dog in the home but had other dogs visit and even live with us temporarily for a few months and she loved the furry friends. She has always been a social and happy dog, welcome of others in or out of our home and played well with others. That is until we introduced Diesel.

After reading a bit here, I realize I screwed up by not introducing them in neutral territory. I in fact walked in with the puppy in my arms and brought him down to her level. She was instantly annoyed with him and to this day really doesn't like him.

Her interaction is always the same: ignore him and put up with him wanting to play with her only long enough before snapping at him when she's tired of him chewing on her and jumping on her trying to get her to play.

About the only thing she will do with him is nap. I will find them asleep with him curled up into her tummy like besties.

Daisy is up there in age and will be turning 10 next year while Diesel is an intact 1 year old who loves her to death and begs her to play.

Again, she has never had a problem with ANY dog before even when others came to visit in our home. This dog, she has disliked him since the day they met.

What say you all? Is there any hope of them being mutual buds, or should I expect it to be a 1 way relationship?

uploadfromtaptalk1466551158736.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well I had a similar experience w/my boxer (who was 9) when I introduced my older bulldog Walter. It took some time, but she finally got used to the idea of him hanging around… Lol Make sure to give her time during the day to get a "puppy" break… I would put Walter in the crate to let Roxie get some rest. And at night she slept in our bedroom, while Walter was in his crate in our bathroom. I would make sure to do things w/them together like training, taking walks, or playing fetch. I think that Walter gave Roxie some excitement in her later years, although she would be exhausted by the end of the day. Turn around is fair play, because after my beloved Roxie passed we NOW have Willow who is 8 mos of bulldog puppy madness. Walter is getting a fair dose of his share these days… Lol Give it time, but be prepared… they may not be "best" buddies, but IMO single dogs get very lonely and it's always better to spend your day w/a buddy.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well, Brian...do not blame yourself. Her reaction could have been the same
no matter how you introduced them. It's different when the new dog is staying
in THEIR home than playing with dogs (happily) but everyone goes separate ways.
It's not uncommon for elderly dogs to just put up with younger dog, it might resolve
in better attitude once his 'puppyness' calms down...or not.

You might try bribing her with whatever is her fav thing whenever you catch her being
nice to him with exuberant praise for her. Good luck & keep us updated on them.

Nice to have y'all here at EBN...WELCOME!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like how Banks was with Cheli.... Banks was 6 when we brought Cheli into our home-- we did a full week of neutral territory introductions and for three years (she past at age 9) all she did was tolerate him. She would play fir a bit and then snap at him when she had enough. They loved and followed each other, Cheli was even very depressed after she past. So, it could just be she reached her threshold with him and she is just telling him to back off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
It is most likely the age gap and the fact that he's still a rambunctious puppy. My oldest girl was 8 when we brought Biscuit home at 10 weeks. It took a while for her to adjust to her annoying puppy ways. Polly my older girl (pit) would try and get her to stop but she didn't get the hint. Now Biscuit is 14 months old and has completely mellowed out and they are great buds. Just think of it as an older sibling younger sibling situation, would you want your MUCH younger brother following you around and messing with you all the time? :D

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
It is most likely the age gap and the fact that he's still a rambunctious puppy.
IMO...
This is it in a nutshell. The adult in the house tolerates a bit of play but tires of it sooner than the kid in the family. Kid continues play until corrected. This type of behavior is nothing out of the ordinary and will, hopefully, fade in time...when Diesel settles down a bit.
In the mean time, try limiting their interaction to a few minutes several times a day. As cute as they are, puppies can be annoying after a while.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
When older dogs snap at my boy when he was a pup i let it be. Infact i am thankful for them because that's how puppies learn doggie manners. Older dogs are the best teachers for pups. Even today at 3 years old, when other dogs snap at him, i don't worry, i nerver do. Aggression is very different than someone correcting and telling your pup "hey i'd have enough. stop it". I'm pretty sure they would be best buds when Diesel matures a little :yes:.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Great advice from everyone!:yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online