Couch Material Recommendations

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I need to buy a new couch. Right now we have leather or fake leather. I am wondering what is best for scratches and dog hair. I like cuddling on the couch with him so I guess he is allowed on any furniture but the bed. Should I invest in a couch cover? I have to get one for the chair because he went to town before we stopped him.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have microfiber and hate it. It collects fur and drool stains easily so we are cleaning it every few days. We would have leather but our cats had an affinity for it and like to shred it so that is a no go for us right now. It really comes down to personal preference and if you want to clean it a lot or cover it up.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] I agree-REAL leather is the only way to go if buying. Be careful because they try to fool you with "bonded Leather" "pleather","faux leather" the only durable one is real leather. Right not you may just want to get a couch cover that you can take off and wash! (depends on your $$):)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
real leather! we have a set that is about 13 or 14 years old and still holding up. we just bought another set and hope it lasts as long

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I agree with what they said about fabric, don't do it. I don't let Biscuit on the couches but we allow my old pitty girl up there and put blankets down. But she just moves them and fur sticks to it anyway. I just washed all the cushions last weekend and it's a chore! Def stick with leather.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Real leather is the way to go mine is eleven years old and still looks new, and doesn't get that awful doggy smell with it either

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We have real leather upstairs, and I'm fixing to move it to the LR. We have a real nice microfiber set downstairs, and it's beyond gross… it's also beige another BAD decision. Ugh!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
As others have said, real leather holds up well. Make sure it feels thick when you pinch it...thin (cheap) leather is not worth it, IMO.
Also, regular cleaning and application of conditioner will help it last and minimize cracking of the finish.

I use Zaino products on my cars and home furniture. It's not cheap but it works really well.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I would say leather. Waiting to get a new leather one ourselves, we will just drop a blanket on it to save it from scratches. We presently have sofas from Ikea with the slipcovers. Not bad as I have removed them and washed them. Plus you can always totally replace them if you want to change colors or if the cover looks too washed out. Good luck choosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.