Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seriously my dog hates his harness and won't walk!!!

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seriously my dog hates his harness and won't walk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Karn View Post
    The Julius K-9 IDC is an AMAZING harness that fits bullies perfectly, slip over head and 1 buckle. Very good quality and features, Google it!! Or even better:

Let me google that for you

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    I use this one and love it. It is so easy to get on. Mine gets his put on everytime he goes outside so at a year he is used to it. Onwalks I give a small tug and whistle when he needs to heel. Sometimes though he just needs to sit and get a little love and attention before we continue on.

Real Name
    Whitney Chiang
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Our does this with me sometimes, but is a perfect angel with my husband. Part of it is making sure your dog knows you're alpha. My husband is way better at this than me, so he gets better results. It's mostly little things we do to make sure he knows we're in charge - We don't let him walk inside before us, make him sit and tell him "okay" when we feed him instead of just letting him go after the bowl, and when he's being stubborn, I try not to give in. If I have to tell him to do something 47 times, I don't stop telling him until he does it, then I reward the good behavior. It's really hard because he's adorable, but I have found when I'm consistent he listens better overall.

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

This could also be a matter of just getting him used to the harness first. Simply put the harness on at home and let him sleep, play, eat while it's on him. Let him get used to it like it's his second fur and ofcourse let's not forget about praises and treats . Goodluck and have fun!

4. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Curly hates his harness - we realized it was chaffing him. Fortunately we taught him to heel at a very early age and really doesn't go after things so we were able to switch him to a martingale collar.

We didn't do too much experimenting with the harnesses but it might be more of a comfort thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harley
    Likes (Received)

I decided not to use collar on my Harley anymore ......afraid of hurting him because now 9 months and 62 lbs he wants to do his own thing....with a nice thick harness now I steer him to where I want to go but every 2 minutes will plant his feet and like pulling a rock... I have a street behind me where they are building houses with no grass....there he will walk but where there is grass he needs to smell and count every blade.....
    Still love him though...

-harley-jpg

7. Likes Chunky White liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

This is a perfect example of only walk a bully as far as you can carry him/her. Sorry...I have just the opposite problem. I just pick up a harness and Bentley goes ballistic running in circles like okay dad I'm ready to go c'mon dad you're not moving fast enough.

Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

I usually walk Chunky with a Julius K9 Harness and he stands perfectly still when he sees me pick it up to put it on him. I like it because its easy to put on and take off after his walks. I have two collars that I can put on him also and both are easy on and off so I am not leaving them on all the time and they are easy to carry. He does walk better with the harness but when he decides to be stubborn its always with the harness because its not pulling against his neck.

Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

Real Name
    Polly
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop
    Likes (Received)

You can make the clicking noise with your tongue. Much easier and faster than using a clicker. Any fast little noise is the cue. I clicker-trained my horse and learned quickly I needed 2 hands free. Then I thought "Hey, I can make this same noise with my dog." And it's always in my mouth, not a little piece of plastic to lose. LOL

11. Likes Chunky White, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads