Is your bully protective?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Whenever Dave (Sam's daddy) leaves Samson gets alot more protective of me and the house. He follows me closer, he barks at sounds he wouldn't normally. Does this happen to you?

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is the one who thinks she needs protection.

The only time she ever barks is at loud sounds that startle her. A quick yelp and then she runs to the protection of her bed under the desk. And the reason her bed is under that desk is because she would run and hide there, so we figured that was the best place to make her "safe" spot.

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy is my shadow if she hears a noice she shouts but if shes startled she runs like the wind n hides under the kitchen table :lol:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh yes! Anytime hubby is gone overnight Cutty goes into head of the house mode. It is nice for him to know he has to protect us but really it makes it harder to sleep at night because EVERY sound he hears he barks at which make me anxious. lol. Better than him not changing at all tho!

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
aww, samson protects his momma! butler doesn't change, he's always stuck like glue to me. no matter if it's just me at home or the hubbs too, butler will bark at the doorbell or a knock on the door. a big deep tough guy bark and he changes his posture to real tall and forward. it is the cutest thing. he is always really protective of mario's kids, like if mario picks one up and they make noise, butler gets really anxious like they are getting hurt or something and he will jump on mario until he puts the kids down.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
That is so cute! Mocha gets upset for a little while if she cant go for a ride, but shes over it quickly. What she does is follow me,or the rest of the family around the house. She hates being alone!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Yes! She will hear a sound in the night and stand over me and bark as loud as she can, then will investigate the noise. She scares the crap out of me sometimes!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Yes! Any odd noise and Chunk stands real tough and barks his deepest bark. However, once in a while he does it while backing up! :lol: The other day though, a neighbor I don't know was outside and while he was being very nice and friendly to me, when he bent down Chunk went running over to him like they were best friends. So either, I should follow Chunk's evaluation of character (they say dogs read people best right?!) or be concerned that he's not protective enough. :D

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I would have to say Sarge is to a point...He doesn't like my husband showing me affection. He'll head butt him or push him away from me.

He has never acted aggressive toward anyone...except when my husband went on his mission trip to Africa. I was having trouble with one of the neighbors doing "weird" things. Bought some pepper spray and locked my windows and doors while my husband was away. Due to something this man did while we both were using the same bank. He had the tellers concerned...so I thought maybe I'm not over reacting...

But one night...Sarge literally ATTACKED the sliding doors! :eek: Freaked me out...I slept with the baseball bat next to me in bed that night. That is when I started locking my doors and windows and bought the pepper spray. After that incident...Sarge was extremely over protective. He wouldn't even let our employees into the house! And he knew one of them for THREE YEARS!

So the night my husband was dropped off...Sarge ran out and I was afraid for Paul the man dropping my husband Wade off stepped out of his truck. And Sarge had been so aggressive lately...but since he seen his "dad" was home. He greeted Paul friendly verses the aggression he's shown everyone else the two weeks my husband was gone. And was back to his easy going self again.

Sarge other than the time my husband left on that mission trip...has never shown aggression toward anyone...other than not liking my husband to show me affection. He get's all vocal and cute when my husband kisses me...and tries to knock him away with his head. Never attempting to bite.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'd like to say 'always' because Stig does bark when he hears a noise, especially in the middle of the night. But then last night, he slept through my sis making noise in the kitchen at 5 in the morning (Stig sleeps with my bf and I in our room upstairs) and me giving him a goodbye kiss before I left for work. So I say, yes, he is protective ... except when he's extremely tired. lol.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Mine aren't protective of me. They bark at things that scare but they look to me to make sure everything is okay, which is fine since I am the mama and self-proclaimed pack leader. :) Linus is very laid back and Truman is not interested in guard dog duties over playing.

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Lola is protective of me espeically! She kees a close eye on where I am, where I am going and what I am doing. Sometimes it drives me crazy because I will turn around and about trip over her. Brodie, proective of Mackenzie my 5 year old. She is definately his "human" and he loves her so and follows her around like a shadow! It is cute but sometimes drives her insane. She even has a hard time swinging because he will sit so close to the swing she is afraid she is going to hit him. I LOVE IT!!!

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Sam is never aggressive towards people, even strangers, it's just for whatever reason if Dave is gone he becomes much more alert. Like cali~jenn said about Cutty almost like he feels the need to become the man of the house and protect us ladies (loki and I). Barks at things he wouldn't normally, gets out of bed at night and barks at things he hears, when if Dave is home he NEVER gets up out of bed at night. No matter what though even when Dave is home he always becomes alert and barks when someone knocks at the front door/rings the door bell, does exactly what [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] says Butler does, barks very deeply and gets real stiff and stands real tall like a little soldier. Also like Butler does with Mario's kids, when Dave is being playful with me like comes up behind be and grabs and tickles me (I am super ticklish so I always let out some type of sound) or he picks me up Samson will jump on him until he lets me go. Like he thinks Dave is hurting me, he doesn't do this when we are being affectionate or anything just when being playful like that.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah almost never barks and I've never heard her growl. I think if a stranger came in to the house, she would just roll over and be like, "pet me?"

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.