General questions about female dog.

Pumba

May 27, 2016
Country
U.S
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba
This is my first female dog! I'm excited and nervous! Just have some questions. When do they having their first period or heat if u call it in heat. How long its last and how often it will be. Should I put my female dog in a different room wiz my intact male dog? What to do when she is in heat. Diapers?? Thank you!! Im picking my female dog name Timon tonight!! I cant wait! I will post her pics as soon as she is home with me.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15942]Pumba[/MENTION] Most females will come in heat anywhere from 6 months to a year. I had my 3 spayed at a year,and they hadn't come in heat yet,which is unusual.
I'd say the most common is 8 months. They stay in heat for at least 21 days. You will definitely have to separate male and female. If you are not planning on breeding,life will be so much easier to have her spayed. The male will drive you crazy when she is in heat,because it will drive him crazy!!
On another note-can't wait to see your baby pictures!!:paci:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
The male will drive you crazy when she is in heat,because it will drive him crazy!!
And a male in pursuit of an "in heat" female can be extremely destructive.

OP
Pumba

Pumba

May 27, 2016
Country
U.S
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba
[MENTION=15942]Pumba[/MENTION] Most females will come in heat anywhere from 6 months to a year. I had my 3 spayed at a year,and they hadn't come in heat yet,which is unusual.
I'd say the most common is 8 months. They stay in heat for at least 21 days. You will definitely have to separate male and female. If you are not planning on breeding,life will be so much easier to have her spayed. The male will drive you crazy when she is in heat,because it will drive him crazy!!
On another note-can't wait to see your baby pictures!!:paci:

What about if I have pumba nuetered. Is he going to be the same crazy as if he is intact?

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
It is a myth that whole spay/neuter changing a dogs personality. I had my Raven spayed and Tyson neutered and their personalities stayed the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
We are not talking about change in personality. We are talking about change in sexuality. :) [MENTION=15942]Pumba[/MENTION] Some dogs even though they are castrated,can still get aroused by a female in heat, especially when the female(after about a week) will keep bugging the male!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Having him neutered will help, but as stated above, some will still get excited. It's safer having him neutered for sure, but you still have to watch a bitch in heat especially when you are outside with them. They usually have two heat cycles a year and it last about three weeks or so. They will come in heat any time around 6 months to 10 months of age and every 6 to 7 months after that.

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
From what I have heard is that you should wait atleast a year to neuter a male dog so that he is fully grown. Can the same be said about spaying a female? I have a female at home and I want her to grow to her full potetial, but I do not want to breed her. I plan on spaying but I want to make sure I do not do it to early if it will effect her growth

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
People I have known get their females spayed at 6 months, and I don't see any difference. I personally have never done it that young. I guess it's up to the "parent".

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
People I have known get their females spayed at 6 months, and I don't see any difference. I personally have never done it that young. I guess it's up to the "parent".

We had Banks spay at 6 months on the dot.... Did not impact her in anyway size, health or bitchyness, er i mean, personality!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
I have a vet appointment for the pups this afternoon. Reya who is 6 months old is going for an exam to see if she is developed enough to be spaded. Vader is probably going to be at 9 months to a year. Waiting for him to start lifting his leg and marking things. Then it will be time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online