Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Good morning y'all. So Gigi turned 6 months old on June the 6th! Yay! Some days I didn't think she'd make it to 6 months after all the struggles with pneumonia. She has been healthy and full of life after recovering from it, thank goodness:).

So the time finally came for her to have her spay/palate surgery. We took her in to her bulldog vet last night and she spent the evening there and has already finished up with surgery this morning. He said everything went great during her surgery. He did say he thought she might've been coming into heat soon, because her ovaries were bigger. He also said her palate was pretty long, so he had to remove quite a bit but she did fine. When I spoke to him on the phone, he was just coming out of the surgery, so she had not woken up yet. We will be picking her up late this afternoon, so she has all day to just recover.

I do have a question about the palate recovery. I know she has to eat soft food for a while, so I'm going to stock up on her canned food. How long should she just be on a soft diet?

image.jpeg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
10 days is all we do but the Vet did the surgery and knows her condition best so go with what he advises. GL GL!

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
The vet just sent me an after surgery pic, she's awake and doing well!!

image.jpeg

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
A couple of weeks should be fine. You can also moisten the dry kibble (I use unsalted chicken broth) to see if she eats it. The canned bone chicken is nice to give. Bentley just can't have enough of it. Bentley did not want to eat very much the first 48 hours after surgery. ACL repair and palate shortened.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15577]Jenni23[/MENTION] Gigi looks great in that little photo-so happy that all went well,and she is coming home. You all have been through enough. Hope it is smooth sailing from now on!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy everything went well, and she is doing well. I would go with what the vet tells you with the food. As others have said, it's usually 10 days, but see what your vet says. Try to keep her quiet and no jumping for at least 10 days due to the spay surgery. She may act a little strange for a month or so, because her hormones are going to go crazy for awhile because of the spaying.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Yeah! Wonderful news. It only gets better from here right?

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
[MENTION=15577]Jenni23[/MENTION] HOW PRECIOUS is she???? So happy to hear that all went well and sincerely hope that recovery is quick and uneventful!

Thank you:). She's quite the little character. I really hope her recovery is uneventful as well. We chose to go ahead with all of her surgeries before we move in the first week of July. We bought a farm in SC, and I wanted to have her recover here with a vet that we already have confidence in.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thank you:). She's quite the little character. I really hope her recovery is uneventful as well. We chose to go ahead with all of her surgeries before we move in the first week of July. We bought a farm in SC, and I wanted to have her recover here with a vet that we already have confidence in.

Sounds like the perfect plan!! Ummmmmm farm in SC....HOW GREAT IS THAT!!!!! Believe it or not since Joey arrived in my life I am looking for land every day. In a very nice development now, but would love her to have an area to roam. I hope that you post photos of your new "Eden"

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awesome... So happy all went well and she is doing so well. :luv:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Awwww, such a sweet face, her eyes are so big & gorgeous, love Gigi
and so happy to hear she's over pneumonia & her spay/pallet surgery
is behind her & she's doing well in recovery.

Congratulations on your new home, how exciting, we'll need pics of course ;)

Big hugs to all <3

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Gigi, you are so Precious, such a Sweetie you are, I love your Precious Face, So-so-so-Sweet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.