Thread: Doggy Door

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry
    Likes (Received)

Default Doggy Door

I want to train my Henry on how to use the Doggy door, as it's summer time and very hot where we live, so we constantly have the ac running. I am curious if anyone has had success Doggy door training theiron bully? Also wondering if their big heads will even fit? The door is for "large" breeds but I have a feeling henry is going to be very stocky and wide when he is fully grown. Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Doggy Door

I have friends that have one and the training was hit and miss at first. Gigi caught on rather quickly. Drake was another story. He finally started to get it after a few days. Trouble was he'd stick his head out of the door and then start peeing. So, yes, he was outside...he could see the grass and the trees and the sky, and he could hear the birds cheeping, but somehow, he still manages to whizz indoors. He finally got it and now uses the door regularly with few incidences.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry
    Likes (Received)

Good to know! We are going to try to start training hI'm now at 3 months so hopefully he catches on

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    I have friends that have one and the training was hit and miss at first. Gigi caught on rather quickly. Drake was another story. He finally started to get it after a few days. Trouble was he'd stick his head out of the door and then start peeing. So, yes, he was outside...he could see the grass and the trees and the sky, and he could hear the birds cheeping, but somehow, he still manages to whizz indoors. He finally got it and now uses the door regularly with few incidences.
    You just made my day. I really think my Bentley would do the same thing...stick his head out and say hey this is ok and start peeing. Great post...thanx for the chuckle.

5. Likes Texas Carol, CCandMurray liked this post
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Doggie doors can be dangerous only because if you are not home, your bully will go outside and lay in the sun, get too hot and will just lay there and die. They will not come back in. They get hot and don't fell like getting up. So if you are home all day and can monitor the situation, they are OK, but don not leave home with the doggie door open, so they can use it. Always close it with the barrier so they can not get out, because you will come home to a dead dog, or one that someone has stolen. I don't let mine out unless we are out with them. We don't have to worry that much about theft where we are, but it can happen anywhere.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Davidh Excellent advice-You said it before I could! Thank you!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

8. Likes Davidh, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry
    Likes (Received)

@Davidh thank you for that input as I never thought about it that way. Henry does already love to sun bathe so I would be very very worried about that.

Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

We have one, our dogs trained themselves in a day. It leads to a cool room in our basement. I know what they are saying about the dogs staying out but Biscuit is always inside there when I get home. However take into consideration any issues, my girl doesn't seem to have the difficulty breathing as bad as some. I'd just rather her have access to the dog door during the day then be stuck in a crate. We are also in a very low crime area with a 6ft privacy fence. Plus if anyone were to try to go in that back yard with my male pit they would regret it lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and my yard is also 75% shaded, so there is that too.

11. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Doggy Door

We have one that leads to our deck, they both caught on real quick... Used treats to lure them through... pups can not get to grass, but it is never open unless we are home and able to monitor them. Potty in the yard is always supervised... Cheli is good at regulating himself but Lambeau is not so i do time their stay on the deck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post

LMAO!...Oh Drake...such a silly boy dawg...it made sense to your bully brain
    and takes bully laziness to a new benchmark! Sending your parents big hugs
    of solidarity from another bully pawrent

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

14. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Doggie doors can be dangerous only because if you are not home, your bully will go outside and lay in the sun, get too hot and will just lay there and die. They will not come back in. They get hot and don't fell like getting up. So if you are home all day and can monitor the situation, they are OK, but don not leave home with the doggie door open, so they can use it. Always close it with the barrier so they can not get out, because you will come home to a dead dog, or one that someone has stolen. I don't let mine out unless we are out with them. We don't have to worry that much about theft where we are, but it can happen anywhere.
    We actually have a doggie door, but we keep it locked up… mostly I'm afraid they will go outside & I won't know they are out there and they will overheat. I keep an eye on the time, and leave the door open in the summer months when they go outside.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

16. Likes Manydogs liked this post

Remove Ads