AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I want to train my Henry on how to use the Doggy door, as it's summer time and very hot where we live, so we constantly have the ac running. I am curious if anyone has had success Doggy door training theiron bully? Also wondering if their big heads will even fit? The door is for "large" breeds but I have a feeling henry is going to be very stocky and wide when he is fully grown. Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I have friends that have one and the training was hit and miss at first. Gigi caught on rather quickly. Drake was another story. He finally started to get it after a few days. Trouble was he'd stick his head out of the door and then start peeing. So, yes, he was outside...he could see the grass and the trees and the sky, and he could hear the birds cheeping, but somehow, he still manages to whizz indoors. He finally got it and now uses the door regularly with few incidences.

OP
AdorabullHenry

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Good to know! We are going to try to start training hI'm now at 3 months so hopefully he catches on

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I have friends that have one and the training was hit and miss at first. Gigi caught on rather quickly. Drake was another story. He finally started to get it after a few days. Trouble was he'd stick his head out of the door and then start peeing. So, yes, he was outside...he could see the grass and the trees and the sky, and he could hear the birds cheeping, but somehow, he still manages to whizz indoors. He finally got it and now uses the door regularly with few incidences.

You just made my day. I really think my Bentley would do the same thing...stick his head out and say hey this is ok and start peeing. Great post...thanx for the chuckle.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Doggie doors can be dangerous only because if you are not home, your bully will go outside and lay in the sun, get too hot and will just lay there and die. They will not come back in. They get hot and don't fell like getting up. So if you are home all day and can monitor the situation, they are OK, but don not leave home with the doggie door open, so they can use it. Always close it with the barrier so they can not get out, because you will come home to a dead dog, or one that someone has stolen. I don't let mine out unless we are out with them. We don't have to worry that much about theft where we are, but it can happen anywhere.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Excellent advice-You said it before I could! Thank you!:)

OP
AdorabullHenry

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] thank you for that input as I never thought about it that way. Henry does already love to sun bathe so I would be very very worried about that.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
We have one, our dogs trained themselves in a day. It leads to a cool room in our basement. I know what they are saying about the dogs staying out but Biscuit is always inside there when I get home. However take into consideration any issues, my girl doesn't seem to have the difficulty breathing as bad as some. I'd just rather her have access to the dog door during the day then be stuck in a crate. We are also in a very low crime area with a 6ft privacy fence. Plus if anyone were to try to go in that back yard with my male pit they would regret it lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and my yard is also 75% shaded, so there is that too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have one that leads to our deck, they both caught on real quick... Used treats to lure them through... pups can not get to grass, but it is never open unless we are home and able to monitor them. Potty in the yard is always supervised... Cheli is good at regulating himself but Lambeau is not so i do time their stay on the deck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

LMAO!...Oh Drake...such a silly boy dawg...it made sense to your bully brain
and takes bully laziness to a new benchmark! Sending your parents big hugs
of solidarity from another bully pawrent ;)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Doggie doors can be dangerous only because if you are not home, your bully will go outside and lay in the sun, get too hot and will just lay there and die. They will not come back in. They get hot and don't fell like getting up. So if you are home all day and can monitor the situation, they are OK, but don not leave home with the doggie door open, so they can use it. Always close it with the barrier so they can not get out, because you will come home to a dead dog, or one that someone has stolen. I don't let mine out unless we are out with them. We don't have to worry that much about theft where we are, but it can happen anywhere.

We actually have a doggie door, but we keep it locked up… mostly I'm afraid they will go outside & I won't know they are out there and they will overheat. I keep an eye on the time, and leave the door open in the summer months when they go outside.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.