WARNING Concerning Antlers!!!!!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all! Just a word concerning antlers for our pups. I watch Joey VERY CLOSELY while she is enjoying her antler. However, even with my "hovering" take a look at what she vomited up at 3AM today (placed pen so you can see the size) PLEASE take note.....

Antler Piece.jpg

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hello all! Just a word concerning antlers for our pups. I watch Joey VERY CLOSELY while she is enjoying her antler. However, even with my "hovering" take a look at what she vomited up at 3AM today (placed pen so you can see the size) PLEASE take note.....

View attachment 99254

Great info. When the antlers get that small, we take them away.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Great info. When the antlers get that small, we take them away.
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] Oh so do we....take them away, ALWAYS! This was a piece off of a FULL antler that is STILL very large......to me that is the really scary part

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
@rjisaterp Oh so do we....take them away, ALWAYS! This was a piece off of a FULL antler that is STILL very large......to me that is the really scary part

Yes...we are real careful as you never know what the heck the fur kids are going to pick-up and put in their mouths. Especially Jewel and Bentley. Right now, Bentley has to go out on his leash because of being on "injured reserve" so we can really monitor. Now bloodhound Jewel we have to be careful but not as much as when she was a puppy.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh my goodness that's scary. I'm so glad she was able to throw it up with no problems and she's okay. Our bullies are so quick, even when we are watching them, they can swallow things so fast. My Dozer has swallowed socks on 4 occasions and has luckily pooped them out or threw them up, but most of the time we don't even know he's swallowed one. I only saw him swallow one once and he was so quick, I couldn't get it away from him before he swallowed it. My Grandson always takes his socks off when he comes home from school and he leaves them in his shoes pro n the floor. Blossom loves to eat cigarette butts and she finds them everywhere, I have to be her eyes and avoid them, but it's not easy, because there are cigarette butts everywhere.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Was the original antler a split or a thin horn?
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] No, it was the same that I always order, a medium "crown cut" antler. PLUS I always inspect them and if Joey has been chewing on it and then dried I cut off any small pieces and file any sharp edges.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Weird. I have only seen things like your pic with the smaller deer tines and splits. We quit using deer and elk antlers last year for the reason you show and switched to moose paddle. It is a bit more expensive but we like the overall size as she can only chew on a corner and not stick the whole thing in her mouth or bite large chunks off.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] I'm glad too that it came up, God only knows what damage that would have done had it started down her digestive tract, can't even think of it! Joey attempted a sock but only one time, lesson learned! Thankfully no small ones around to leave them around....THAT I think would be the hardest, to teach a little one not to leave things lying around. I do have friends that needed to be taught that when you get up take note of where your drink is....Joey has been known to go after coffee, soda, scotch, beer, wine, (see the pattern LOL)

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Weird. I have only seen things like your pic with the smaller deer tines and splits. We quit using deer and elk antlers last year for the reason you show and switched to moose paddle. It is a bit more expensive but we like the overall size as she can only chew on a corner and not stick the whole thing in her mouth or bite large chunks off.
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] Agree! I just emailed Carol at Acadia Antlers and switching to moose paddles ASAP, I did email her the photo as well........

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
No antlers for our babies at all. We stick with Chicken Feet.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] So happy that Joey vomited that up-thus avoiding possible surgery. The only thing my dogs get to have a durabone nylabones. I know anything more delicious would cause a fight, and I AM afraid they would swallow them(probably whole!) [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] you have been sooooo lucky with the socks XXXX! I have to watch out for anything as Maude would swallow!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We only give ours Elk or Moose antlers because they are larger and do not splinter like deer antlers can, plus we don't get the ones with the points on them, only the antlers close to the base where they are larger. So happy your bully threw it up, so it didn't cause further problems.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online