sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
We only give ours Elk or Moose antlers because they are larger and do not splinter like deer antlers can, plus we don't get the ones with the points on them, only the antlers close to the base where they are larger. So happy your bully threw it up, so it didn't cause further problems.
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Thank you! This was moose crown cut from Acadia Antlers, never deer.......again this is what really bothered me. They're not suppose to come off in pieces like that.....

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] So happy that Joey vomited that up-thus avoiding possible surgery. The only thing my dogs get to have a durabone nylabones. I know anything more delicious would cause a fight, and I AM afraid they would swallow them(probably whole!) [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] you have been sooooo lucky with the socks XXXX! I have to watch out for anything as Maude would swallow!
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] THANK YOU!! Right? WHEW!!!!! I've been researching alternatives all morning. I MIGHT try the BeneBone, every tried them with your pups?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Is that really, from a real antler? Antlers are so solid that I think this is a piece of something else...

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Glad to hear all is well. Makes me have second thoughts about the stuffed antlers I was thinking about for Frith.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Is that really, from a real antler? Antlers are so solid that I think this is a piece of something else...
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] It sure is! Believe me, I was as astonished as you are! Joey is NEVER outside alone, never unattended, when I say that I "hover" I mean to the fullest extent, she is still a curious baby at 12 months old. I have also found smaller chunks, from the same crown cut antler, in her stool, hard as a rock. Here is what the owner of Acadia Antlers replied (in part) to the photo and my email:

"the crowns are softer so a powerful chewer can create something unusual like this" (I special order the crown cuts for Joey)

They have great products for sure and she's been very helpful.

We tested her reply and indeed when squeezing the crown cut with pliers it broke into chunks. Defective? Once in a lifetime? Maybe......No more crown cuts for Joey, I can promise that. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] I do not give my dogs anything edible to play with or chew. No Benebones or anything like that. If you do give them to your girl, take a look-many of them are made outside this country. All are choking hazards. Bullies are Extreme chewers(and swallowers) and few things are safe. That is why mine only get the giant durabones.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Weird. I have only seen things like your pic with the smaller deer tines and splits. We quit using deer and elk antlers last year for the reason you show and switched to moose paddle. It is a bit more expensive but we like the overall size as she can only chew on a corner and not stick the whole thing in her mouth or bite large chunks off.

We only buy Acadia Antlers for that same reason… one of the dogs chewed up a deer antler, so I only use the moose ones now. They cost more, but IMO it's worth it...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Weird. I have only seen things like your pic with the smaller deer tines and splits. We quit using deer and elk antlers last year for the reason you show and switched to moose paddle. It is a bit more expensive but we like the overall size as she can only chew on a corner and not stick the whole thing in her mouth or bite large chunks off.

Yep... Moose paddle is all i buy now too!
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] .... I never seen this happen before either except as Todd mentioned with splits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Oh wow!!! Glad it came up! I give mine XL elk antlers. They don't splint and I just throw them away when they get to a swallow able size. I also stated getting them Himalayan chews. A little less expensive and they seem to love them more than the antlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
We only buy Acadia Antlers for that same reason… one of the dogs chewed up a deer antler, so I only use the moose ones now. They cost more, but IMO it's worth it...
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Thanks!! SAME...Only Acadia Antlers and Carol was very helpful. We're going to try the moose paddle versus the "crown cut", per Carol's suggestion.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] I do not give my dogs anything edible to play with or chew. No Benebones or anything like that. If you do give them to your girl, take a look-many of them are made outside this country. All are choking hazards. Bullies are Extreme chewers(and swallowers) and few things are safe. That is why mine only get the giant durabones.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Thank you! Understood! I am going to give the larger moose paddle a try, again with close observation, BUT also ordered the durabone to see if Joey likes it, we go through antlers like crazy......Thanks again!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh wow!!! Glad it came up! I give mine XL elk antlers. They don't splint and I just throw them away when they get to a swallow able size. I also stated getting them Himalayan chews. A little less expensive and they seem to love them more than the antlers. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Cornine Pesantes Thanks!! Always like a plan B....Himalayan chews! Will check them out today.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.