Talk to me specifically about Fromms-internist has me more confused then ever.

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
So Penny has been on Blue Buffalo wilderness Salmon since we rescued her but with her seasonal flank alopecia we talked to the general vet about possible food allergies and she put her on the Hills Z/D for skin issues as a food trial. We have seen no change in the 8 weeks she has been on it, but both her and chihuahuas love it.
Bristol has been on a medically prescribed canned food diet- royal canine gastric low fat since she was 6 months to aid with regurgitation issues until we went through all evaluations and had the surgery. I can switch her to kibble and her internist said no need for the Z/d as it is expensive and for her unless it is just easier to have all dogs on same food.
When I asked about Fromms the internist seemed indifferent she said they are small company they have had a pretty big recall and they don't have as much research as what is done for royal canine and Hills
But for the most part as a community you all are not fans of the two the internist recommended.
I wonder if it is in the vets interest to plug a brand?
Also there seems to be even discussions on here as far as the flavor of Fromms -some dogs don't do well with beef frittata, others allergic to chicken, while some allergic to salmon. If we were to make the switch is there a flavor that seems to do well for all not causing allergic reactions so we don't have to go through trial and error with all the flavors?
I know everyone has their own opinion, I am just looking for insight as picking the best options for two Bulldogs with two different issues and sweet little chihuahuas that seem to have stomachs of steel ;)

OP
Pennyblossom

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Yeah we aren't going back to BB I am just not sure what kibble to switch too as I want to make sure it doesn't cause flares for Penny's allergies and it is a good fit for little Bristol.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
PHP:
Good morning. Jewel had pancreatitis and our vet wants Jewel to be on a low/non-fat diet. We have her on RC gastrointestinal. Bentley eats Fromm Pork and Applesauce. He used to eat Fromm Pork and Peas and Fromm Beef Frittata due to switching around because he itched/scratched after eating and then some scratching in between meals. We also discussed this with our vet who said to give Bentley Fish Oil. Low and behold itching stopped. Its up in the air about what helped...the change in food or the fish oil.

We also give Fromm treats. they have biscuits that are 5% crude fat and safe for Jewel.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So Penny has been on Blue Buffalo wilderness Salmon since we rescued her but with her seasonal flank alopecia we talked to the general vet about possible food allergies and she put her on the Hills Z/D for skin issues as a food trial. We have seen no change in the 8 weeks she has been on it, but both her and chihuahuas love it.
Bristol has been on a medically prescribed canned food diet- royal canine gastric low fat since she was 6 months to aid with regurgitation issues until we went through all evaluations and had the surgery. I can switch her to kibble and her internist said no need for the Z/d as it is expensive and for her unless it is just easier to have all dogs on same food.
When I asked about Fromms the internist seemed indifferent she said they are small company they have had a pretty big recall and they don't have as much research as what is done for royal canine and Hills
But for the most part as a community you all are not fans of the two the internist recommended.
I wonder if it is in the vets interest to plug a brand?
Also there seems to be even discussions on here as far as the flavor of Fromms -some dogs don't do well with beef frittata, others allergic to chicken, while some allergic to salmon. If we were to make the switch is there a flavor that seems to do well for all not causing allergic reactions so we don't have to go through trial and error with all the flavors?
I know everyone has their own opinion, I am just looking for insight as picking the best options for two Bulldogs with two different issues and sweet little chihuahuas that seem to have stomachs of steel ;)

Well, as far as I know Fromm has barely ever had any recalls and their recent one was self imposed due to too much vitamin D being in the batch. I have tried every flavor of Fromm with my guys and they seem to do best on pork and peas so maybe start with that one and see how it goes. Unfortunately, trail and error is the only way to find the right food unless you do the allergy testing, which I did for my gang and it turned out Pork and Peas is the one I needed to feed. Nitschke was allergic to rice, Banks was allergic to chicken and Lambeau is allergic to lamb .... I did do flavor changes to try and lessen eye issues, but that turns out to be all environmental.

I'm also tagging Lisa... as see is very knowledgeable on the Fromm product. Oh, just remembered too, I spoke with our local pet food store owner, sell pretty much every high quality brand out there and he stated to me, Fromm is one of the best made kibble foods you could buy, they control all their own sourcing, production and packaging and keep the batches small to ensure high quality products.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Well, as far as I know Fromm has barely ever had any recalls and their recent one was self imposed due to too much vitamin D being in the batch. I have tried every flavor of Fromm with my guys and they seem to do best on pork and peas so maybe start with that one and see how it goes. Unfortunately, trail and error is the only way to find the right food unless you do the allergy testing, which I did for my gang and it turned out Pork and Peas is the one I needed to feed. Nitschke was allergic to rice, Banks was allergic to chicken and Lambeau is allergic to lamb .... I did do flavor changes to try and lessen eye issues, but that turns out to be all environmental.

I'm also tagging Lisa... as see is very knowledgeable on the Fromm product. Oh, just remembered too, I spoke with our local pet food store owner, sell pretty much every high quality brand out there and he stated to me, Fromm is one of the best made kibble foods you could buy, they control all their own sourcing, production and packaging and keep the batches small to ensure high quality products.

I just wanted to add to this that Fromm is a 100% guarantee. So if you find your bully doesn't do well, the pet store will switch out your flavors at no cost to you.

I find my bully reacts slightly to the Beef Fritatta, but does well on the Pork and Peas and the Hasen Duckenpfeffer.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
After trying all the grain free entree of Fromm, my EBD does well on lamb & Lentil and the other flavor is game bird. I was able to return the others with no problems.

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
My English and Frenchie do the best on Fromm Lamb & Lentil. We tried Pork & Peas and my English had explosive diarrhea. He seems to have a sensitive tummy and any little adjustment messes with him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Christine has it right, actually they have never had a single recall until the recent one on vitamin D. They do QC on their food twice, not once and they were the first to add probiotics in the guaranteed analysis.

Believe me, your vet wants you to buy food from them, that way they make money and keep you coming back. But, since your food is prescribed I cannot really tell you what to do, I can only give advice for what works for us. The best thing about the Fromm 4 star line is you can switch between flavors without doing a slow switch, they are formulated to work together. (beef for breakfast, pork and peas for dinner, ect)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Fromm's for my pups w/NO issues… Willow is on the puppy formula (pink bag) but Wally I switch between the beef & the pork.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I've tried lamb and lentil, pork and peas, beef frittata. Murray seemed to enjoy the flavor of all but had terrible licking. Amidst a food trial now I am about 3/4 weeks into switching to natures variety salmon which Murray seems to like, the licking has lessened but not completely gone away yet and we'll be trying allergy testing after the end of 4 months. Good luck, I know it can be challenging!!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
PHP:
Good morning. Jewel had pancreatitis and our vet wants Jewel to be on a low/non-fat diet. We have her on RC gastrointestinal. Bentley eats Fromm Pork and Applesauce. He used to eat Fromm Pork and Peas and Fromm Beef Frittata due to switching around because he itched/scratched after eating and then some scratching in between meals. We also discussed this with our vet who said to give Bentley Fish Oil. Low and behold itching stopped. Its up in the air about what helped...the change in food or the fish oil.

We also give Fromm treats. they have biscuits that are 5% crude fat and safe for Jewel.

My bet is on the fish oil--it is high in vit D. Vit D is used to treat all sorts of skin problems.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I feed raw food and Fromms is not available in Finland. Hill's and RC on the other hand are and I consider them not food at all. All you have to do is check out the ingredient list and see that is all chemistry not food. They are huge global brands that have all the money to do their own research in order to come up with results in their favour and have vets in their pockets.

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Like this post. The gang seems tired of the Fromms puppy chiot and the kibble shape is a challenge for Reya (pointy narrow snout). So I drove all over Dallas today to find Lamb & Lentil. Pet Supply Plus seems to be the only Fromms supplier that I have found locally and the normal store I buy the Puppy didn't have pork and peas or lamb and lentil. I got a small bag just to try and see if there are any undesirable end results.. :pray2: They chowed down and then came running over to say thank you for the change.. lol.
Okay, the fish oil didn't go over as well... Hell I couldn't shallow the gel cap, it was that big.. I hoped they would just chew it and swallow... Reya after awhile got it down... Vader I had to take it back and cut it and pour into a pill pocket and administer that way..:facepalm2::facepalm2: Has to be a better way...
So far so good and I will go back and forth till the puppy is gone and might try a few other flavors.
Reya seems to be good to go, but I think I will have Vader allergy tested...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.