socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Like all bullies, my puppy has a sensitive stomach. My last bully was the same way. For food, I have been using Simply Nourish Chicken and Brown Rice flavor from Petsmart 2 times a day with a scoop of cottage cheese on top. I am not getting solid stool from these foods and don't know if helps with their skin, coat, shedding? Or the cottage cheese is the problem (I heard it helps with digestion)?

I'd like to explore other options of food that 1) provide a somewhat solid stool, 2) good for skin and coat, 3) possibly decrease shedding.

What do you feed your bully? I would like to feed him twice a day. Thanks

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Nate. Here is a link to a weight chart Find Out Your Puppy's Adult Weight | Puppy Chart Here is a link to food ratings: English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Jewel has empty stomach syndrome so if she does not eat she usually throws up frothy yellow mucous with bile (yellowish froth). So to prevent this, we feed smaller meals more frequently. The fact that she has had pancreatitis, Jewel is on a prescription diet that contains low fat. It is not the greatest food, but we give her vitamin supplements as well.

Bentley eats a grain free kibble and we feed him 3 times a day 1 cup of Fromm Pork and Applesauce.

We also give Jewel and Bentley some Swanson Boned Chicken from time to time with their food. The also are given bout two tablespoons of low-fat or zero fat yogurt in the evening. It's their ice cream and they love it.

I'm not sure about cottage cheese...but I am sure someone else will chime in along the way if not sooner than my post.

I also tagged some members. Hope this helps. --rj

Tuneybuster

Oct 7, 2014
Like all bullies, my puppy has a sensitive stomach. My last bully was the same way. For food, I have been using Simply Nourish Chicken and Brown Rice flavor from Petsmart 2 times a day with a scoop of cottage cheese on top. I am not getting solid stool from these foods and don't know if helps with their skin, coat, shedding? Or the cottage cheese is the problem (I heard it helps with digestion)?

I'd like to explore other options of food that 1) provide a somewhat solid stool, 2) good for skin and coat, 3) possibly decrease shedding.

Hi first I would recommend a grain free food. I also suggest that you try to add pumpkin and yogurt in small amounts. Be sure to make the food transition slowly and don't introduce all the changes at the same time. Fromm has a good line of grain free food. You could contact their headquarters and ask for suggestions for sensitive stomach frommfamily.com phone 800-325-6331

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Finding the right food is an adventure that may be a long or a short one. I would suggest something that is grain free, or if you want to eliminate what animal proteins your pup may be sensitive to I would strongly suggest The Honest Kitchen Preference Base mix as you can control what animal proteins are in it and it is grain free.

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
I recently switched Sgt. to Fromms surf & turf. My Boston terrier has been on it for about 3 years so it was great to find out it was recommended for EBs. The slow switch over definitely changed Sgt.'s stool, so I added a little pure pumpkin to his dinners for a few nights. All good now! He loves his new food, he also eats it a little slower then his old stuff. He eats twice a day.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Let me echo the above on the pumpkin....it is not the pie mix that contains the spices and sugar, etc. As [MENTION=15894]asherose[/MENTION] mentioned "pure pumkin."

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang... Find a high quality grain free food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I feel your pain, it definitely can be a struggle for bullies with food, I'm still looking for the right combination. I've had Murray since a puppy, he ate taste of the wild puppy until one day he decided he was sick of it and stopped eating it. From there I switched to blue wildnerness duck which he liked but made his tear stains bad. We've tried three different kinds of fromms:pork and peas, lamb and lentil, beef frittata but somewhere in these switches post taste of the wild he developed this licking issue that I still haven't gotten total control of (we go to the vet on Friday) I've also tried zignature lamb and most recently natures variety salmon which he enjoys but is expensive and again the licking hasn't quite gone away even with supplementing with Greek yogurt, coconut oil, Nuvet and Pepcid. I definitely feel like grain free is the way to go and many swear by the pumpkin, just hang in there because it can take some trial and error before finding just the right combination for your bully. Please keep us posted of your progress and I wish the best of luck to you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Check out the article about diarrhea and soft stool, because it may be the food type, over feeding, cottage cheese topper, worms, ect. Compare the article to your pups symptoms to see what you think.

Frankie's Mama

Jul 9, 2014
Muskegon, MI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
Frankie is fed twice a day and he eats Royale Canine Bulldog formula. I add yogurt in with his evening meal and he absolutely LOVES it!! Hope this helps!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Some of the better foods to look into are.... Earthborn, Fromm, Acana, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Nature's Variety.... go grain free for sure.

OP
S

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
thoughts on science diet puppy large breed formula? It was recommended by the vet

OP
S

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Frankie is fed twice a day and he eats Royale Canine Bulldog formula. I add yogurt in with his evening meal and he absolutely LOVES it!! Hope this helps!

I looked at this one. Where do you usually buy it from? Its quite expensive at Petsmart

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I looked at this one. Where do you usually buy it from? Its quite expensive at Petsmart

Look at ingredients... It is all fillers -- rice, meals, not meat. RC really is not a high quality food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online