How soon after surgery did you change food?

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Bristol had her soft palate done the end of April but then got a difficult case of aspiration pneumonia from the surgery and has only been cleared from the pneumonia for about 2 weeks. We had her on all canned food before surgery as she handled that without regurgitation but the vet said we could slowly introduce kibble into her food, which we did two weeks ago per the vet. I am still mixing about 1/2 cup kibble to half a can of canned food twice a day.
For those who had the surgery done did you stay on canned food or some sort of soft food? Did you ever go to dry?
She's a great weight for her size 31-33 lbs and the doctor wants to make sure she doesn't really gain any weight.
I am just looking for insight as we don't really have any additional follow ups and the vets instructions were just slowly wean as long as she can handle the dry food but I am so terrified to make a complete switch to dry even after a long transition.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
She should be able to eat dry by now. If you are worried, get a slow feed bowl so she can not gulp it down too fast. Or you can soak her dry food to soften it.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
back on kibble about 10 days removed from surgery

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She should be able to eat dry by now. If you are worried, get a slow feed bowl so she can not gulp it down too fast. Or you can soak her dry food to soften it.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.