Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving across country with Bulldog in Truck

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Agnes
    Likes (Received)

Default Moving across country with Bulldog in Truck

My English Bully Agnes and I are moving from Florida to Colorado in a little less than 2 weeks. We will be driving a Penske Truck (bucket seats) and spend 3 nights at dog friendly hotels along the way.

I was hoping to get some advice on how to keep her secured / comfortable during the trip. Of course I will be taking all her food, water, paperwork, health certificate, etc with me. I will also only leave her in the truck with the AC running and a sign in the window advising people of that (while I use the facilities).

My concern is about keeping her on the front seat. The seats are big bucket seats so she should be fine laying / sitting there. I'm wondering if there are any carriers that could be put on those seats that can support a bullies weight (55lbs) or some other restraints / comfort stuff. I check Kurgo but they only had products for the back-seat which of course I wont have.

Any advice for our 2000 mile journey is appreciated.

-11334258_10153282723901390_4068101541730820108_o-jpg-11415288_10153282718706390_779722500969684813_n-jpg-12715993_10153852217691390_4640654991733687493_o-jpg

2. Likes MacAttack, Canelospeeps, rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Moving across country with Bulldog in Truck

I plan on buying the Sleepypod (Sleepypod® Clickit Utility| Top performing Dog Harness | Dog Safety - Sleepypod® | The safest pet company | Dog Carrier | Cat Carrier | Dog Harness) for my buddy when he slows down with growing. I have a friend who uses it for her service dog and loves it. The harness will buckle right into the seat and does allow the dog to lay down.

4. Likes ddnene, BullyBoston liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    I plan on buying the Sleepypod (Sleepypod® Clickit Utility| Top performing Dog Harness | Dog Safety - Sleepypod® | The safest pet company | Dog Carrier | Cat Carrier | Dog Harness) for my buddy when he slows down with growing. I have a friend who uses it for her service dog and loves it. The harness will buckle right into the seat and does allow the dog to lay down.
    WOW -- that is really cool -- never heard of these before. We had something like this years ago, but this seem much better
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have always had to figure out ways to have make alot of my own things. One thing is that my dogs wear harnesses. I did not make this,but you can buy a short lead that clips into the seat belt on one end,and has a clip on the other,that clips onto the harness. Same idea but only cost about $5.00. Get a nice comfy bed that will fit on the seat.This little seat belt will allow her to lay down,or sit up. Best of luck on your trip. It will bond you and Agnes even closer. Most of all Stay Safe!!
    @CaveDiverFL and have a great trip!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

7. Likes MacAttack, CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Teresa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear, Mac (2/12 - 5/16) & Louis (french)
    Likes (Received)

Can't offer any advice except the short lead with clips that hook onto the seat belt and harness like Manydogs said; however, your girl Agnes' face markings are so cool! She's a pretty girl. Best of luck on your move, safe travels and I'm jealous you're leaving for cooler weather!

9. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Agnes
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
    Can't offer any advice except the short lead with clips that hook onto the seat belt and harness like Manydogs said; however, your girl Agnes' face markings are so cool! She's a pretty girl. Best of luck on your move, safe travels and I'm jealous you're leaving for cooler weather!

Thanks, we got a nice little balcony with mountain view for her - she'll love it out there, especially the snow.

11. Likes MacAttack, CCandMurray liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

The only advice I can give you is take her with you when you use the restroom! You don't want her stolen, which unfortunately does happen and rest stops are notorious for break-ins.. If anyone complains, too bad, you will be in and out of there before they can do anything about it!!!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    The only advice I can give you is take her with you when you use the restroom! You don't want her stolen, which unfortunately does happen and rest stops are notorious for break-ins.. If anyone complains, too bad, you will be in and out of there before they can do anything about it!!!
    I agree… tell then she is your service dog!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

14. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CaveDiverFL View Post
    My English Bully Agnes and I are moving from Florida to Colorado in a little less than 2 weeks. We will be driving a Penske Truck (bucket seats) and spend 3 nights at dog friendly hotels along the way.

I was hoping to get some advice on how to keep her secured / comfortable during the trip. Of course I will be taking all her food, water, paperwork, health certificate, etc with me. I will also only leave her in the truck with the AC running and a sign in the window advising people of that (while I use the facilities).

My concern is about keeping her on the front seat. The seats are big bucket seats so she should be fine laying / sitting there. I'm wondering if there are any carriers that could be put on those seats that can support a bullies weight (55lbs) or some other restraints / comfort stuff. I check Kurgo but they only had products for the back-seat which of course I wont have.

Any advice for our 2000 mile journey is appreciated.

-11334258_10153282723901390_4068101541730820108_o-jpg-11415288_10153282718706390_779722500969684813_n-jpg-12715993_10153852217691390_4640654991733687493_o-jpg
    Having driven from maine to oregon twice now, know that you will be driving into the afternoon sun. This means that the passenger's seat is in full sun and gets hot no matter that you have the AC going. Check the temps, you may want to do night driving.
    Fritthy

16. Likes 2BullyMama, Whitney Chiang liked this post
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

sometimes there is room behind the seat for a pet carrier, but not sure if big enough for a bully
    Look at your roads. When you are headed north the afternoon sun shouldn't be that bad, but going west can be brutal. I have seen ice blankets. you may want to see if something like that could work for the seat. Also though the hotels are pet friendly, we found they had policies against leaving the pet in the room, so dinner was always take out. Good luck driving cross country can be fun. I would also consider listing out vet numbers along the way just in case.
    Fritthy

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frith View Post
    sometimes there is room behind the seat for a pet carrier, but not sure if big enough for a bully
    Look at your roads. When you are headed north the afternoon sun shouldn't be that bad, but going west can be brutal. I have seen ice blankets. you may want to see if something like that could work for the seat. Also though the hotels are pet friendly, we found they had policies against leaving the pet in the room, so dinner was always take out. Good luck driving cross country can be fun. I would also consider listing out vet numbers along the way just in case.
    This is very important. We made a couple of long distant moves and we never left our pets by themselves, ever (3 cats, a dog and a parrot!). My husband often says I'm paranoid, I say, better safe than sorry!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

19. Likes 2BullyMama, Canelospeeps liked this post
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    This is very important. We made a couple of long distant moves and we never left our pets by themselves, ever (3 cats, a dog and a parrot!). My husband often says I'm paranoid, I say, better safe than sorry!
    When we moved to maine, we had two dogs, a cat and a guinea pig. I have to say the best traveling companion was the guinea pig. Happy as a clam in her cat kennel filled with shavings. Water bottle and pellets. She sang to us the whole trip-little happy guinea pig chirps and chuckles. I can't imagine traveling with a parrot.
    Fritthy

21. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads