Moving across country with Bulldog in Truck

CaveDiverFL

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
My English Bully Agnes and I are moving from Florida to Colorado in a little less than 2 weeks. We will be driving a Penske Truck (bucket seats) and spend 3 nights at dog friendly hotels along the way.

I was hoping to get some advice on how to keep her secured / comfortable during the trip. Of course I will be taking all her food, water, paperwork, health certificate, etc with me. I will also only leave her in the truck with the AC running and a sign in the window advising people of that (while I use the facilities).

My concern is about keeping her on the front seat. The seats are big bucket seats so she should be fine laying / sitting there. I'm wondering if there are any carriers that could be put on those seats that can support a bullies weight (55lbs) or some other restraints / comfort stuff. I check Kurgo but they only had products for the back-seat which of course I wont have.

Any advice for our 2000 mile journey is appreciated.

11334258_10153282723901390_4068101541730820108_o.jpg11415288_10153282718706390_779722500969684813_n.jpg12715993_10153852217691390_4640654991733687493_o.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I plan on buying the Sleepypod (Sleepypod® Clickit Utility| Top performing Dog Harness | Dog Safety - Sleepypod® | The safest pet company | Dog Carrier | Cat Carrier | Dog Harness) for my buddy when he slows down with growing. I have a friend who uses it for her service dog and loves it. The harness will buckle right into the seat and does allow the dog to lay down.

WOW -- that is really cool -- never heard of these before. We had something like this years ago, but this seem much better

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always had to figure out ways to have make alot of my own things. One thing is that my dogs wear harnesses. I did not make this,but you can buy a short lead that clips into the seat belt on one end,and has a clip on the other,that clips onto the harness. Same idea but only cost about $5.00. Get a nice comfy bed that will fit on the seat.This little seat belt will allow her to lay down,or sit up. Best of luck on your trip. It will bond you and Agnes even closer. Most of all Stay Safe!!
[MENTION=11327]CaveDiverFL[/MENTION] :trainride: and have a great trip!

MacAttack

Sep 17, 2012
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear, Mac (2/12 - 5/16) & Louis (french)
Can't offer any advice except the short lead with clips that hook onto the seat belt and harness like Manydogs said; however, your girl Agnes' face markings are so cool! She's a pretty girl. Best of luck on your move, safe travels and I'm jealous you're leaving for cooler weather! :)

OP
C

CaveDiverFL

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Can't offer any advice except the short lead with clips that hook onto the seat belt and harness like Manydogs said; however, your girl Agnes' face markings are so cool! She's a pretty girl. Best of luck on your move, safe travels and I'm jealous you're leaving for cooler weather! :)

Thanks, we got a nice little balcony with mountain view for her - she'll love it out there, especially the snow.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
The only advice I can give you is take her with you when you use the restroom! You don't want her stolen, which unfortunately does happen and rest stops are notorious for break-ins.. If anyone complains, too bad, you will be in and out of there before they can do anything about it!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The only advice I can give you is take her with you when you use the restroom! You don't want her stolen, which unfortunately does happen and rest stops are notorious for break-ins.. If anyone complains, too bad, you will be in and out of there before they can do anything about it!!!

I agree… tell then she is your service dog!!! :rofl:

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
My English Bully Agnes and I are moving from Florida to Colorado in a little less than 2 weeks. We will be driving a Penske Truck (bucket seats) and spend 3 nights at dog friendly hotels along the way.

I was hoping to get some advice on how to keep her secured / comfortable during the trip. Of course I will be taking all her food, water, paperwork, health certificate, etc with me. I will also only leave her in the truck with the AC running and a sign in the window advising people of that (while I use the facilities).

My concern is about keeping her on the front seat. The seats are big bucket seats so she should be fine laying / sitting there. I'm wondering if there are any carriers that could be put on those seats that can support a bullies weight (55lbs) or some other restraints / comfort stuff. I check Kurgo but they only had products for the back-seat which of course I wont have.

Any advice for our 2000 mile journey is appreciated.

View attachment 99069View attachment 99070View attachment 99071

Having driven from maine to oregon twice now, know that you will be driving into the afternoon sun. This means that the passenger's seat is in full sun and gets hot no matter that you have the AC going. Check the temps, you may want to do night driving.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
sometimes there is room behind the seat for a pet carrier, but not sure if big enough for a bully
Look at your roads. When you are headed north the afternoon sun shouldn't be that bad, but going west can be brutal. I have seen ice blankets. you may want to see if something like that could work for the seat. Also though the hotels are pet friendly, we found they had policies against leaving the pet in the room, so dinner was always take out. Good luck driving cross country can be fun. I would also consider listing out vet numbers along the way just in case.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
sometimes there is room behind the seat for a pet carrier, but not sure if big enough for a bully
Look at your roads. When you are headed north the afternoon sun shouldn't be that bad, but going west can be brutal. I have seen ice blankets. you may want to see if something like that could work for the seat. Also though the hotels are pet friendly, we found they had policies against leaving the pet in the room, so dinner was always take out. Good luck driving cross country can be fun. I would also consider listing out vet numbers along the way just in case.

This is very important. We made a couple of long distant moves and we never left our pets by themselves, ever (3 cats, a dog and a parrot!). My husband often says I'm paranoid, I say, better safe than sorry!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
This is very important. We made a couple of long distant moves and we never left our pets by themselves, ever (3 cats, a dog and a parrot!). My husband often says I'm paranoid, I say, better safe than sorry!

When we moved to maine, we had two dogs, a cat and a guinea pig. I have to say the best traveling companion was the guinea pig. Happy as a clam in her cat kennel filled with shavings. Water bottle and pellets. She sang to us the whole trip-little happy guinea pig chirps and chuckles. I can't imagine traveling with a parrot.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Oh, another thin that made life easy was collapsable water dish from petco. We bought a case of bottled water and had the dish on hand so drinks could be given at any time.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=11327]CaveDiverFL[/MENTION] im on a road trip as we speak. (I read my emails at night. Working!) Anyway I just did 3200km which is about 2000miles with Nyala. She's a real trooper I swear she's fantastic. She has her harness and smaller leash to the safety belt in back seat. I dont want her in the front. Something happens and bag deploys, it will kill her. I leave the leash a tad long so she can move or stretch if she wants to walk across the back seat. God forbid I need to smack the breaks, hopefully it never happens and will not...positive thinking... she will be blocked in immediately. I stop every 2-3 hrs. Make her do her business, play ball with her a good 10 - 15mins, has a snack and back on the road. Took me over 3 days and some but worth every pit stop. I need to move too as hard on a back sitting long hrs. I brought her frozen home cooking meals, yogurts, bottle water, treats, fruits in a cooler. Breakfast is at the pet friendly hotels and supper on the road. Ive arrived this morning at my destination and she's just as happy as when we left. She sleeps or sometimes with an eye or 2 open and doesn't say a word.

Will be posting pics. Today people were fishing and she had a first encounter with a big catfish. She was going nuts want to see what a fish was. Like a toy but smells like her food. Lolll then she saw a beaver and barked at it. Go figure she never barks. So don't worry Agnes will do great. Bring bottle water cause water can have different taste in different placesand make sure you stop ever 2-3 hrs max for a good 15 mins to have Agnes move. Very important. I was worried about bullies traveling but they are good travelers. Have fun n take photos! !

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Does the floor of the truck have room for her and a comfy blankie? Thinking you can put the A/C on the feet area for her. I agree with others on leaving her alone in the truck. I would take her with you at all times, there are some crazies out there. Best of luck & safe travels - be sure to let her have a blanket or toy she loves with her throughout the trip for comfort :) let us know once you've made it to your new home safe & sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online