OP
C

CaveDiverFL

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Thanks everyone for the advice. She will have to ride shotgun as there is no second row or extra space behind the seats. I will get one of those harnesses that buckle to the seat belt. I also got some window shade stuff so I can block the sun when driving west. I will fill in the feet part with luggage and soft stuff in case she slips. I'm also taking a 7 gallon potable water container on the road.

Lastly I have to agree about leaving her alone, I found some mobile urinals on amazon you can use so I guess that's what I'll be doing haha.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
It's summer and bullies are like silk with temps. I use the thermostat below to monitor my cab temps when traveling with my bully. I have the monitor in the front and the thermostat close to my bully. This method tells me the true temp around my bully.

I think her riding shotgun is ideal. I agree with not leaving her in your cab, take her inside with you. I have not had my store or gas station say no to her coming in. They give him some love, he gives them some love and all is good.

AcuRite Digital Wireless Thermometer 00380 - Walmart.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
When we moved to maine, we had two dogs, a cat and a guinea pig. I have to say the best traveling companion was the guinea pig. Happy as a clam in her cat kennel filled with shavings. Water bottle and pellets. She sang to us the whole trip-little happy guinea pig chirps and chuckles. I can't imagine traveling with a parrot.

The parrot had the time of his life! He loved it (can't say the same for the cats). We also took him with us when we moved back home to England.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
My English Bully Agnes and I are moving from Florida to Colorado in a little less than 2 weeks. We will be driving a Penske Truck (bucket seats) and spend 3 nights at dog friendly hotels along the way.

I was hoping to get some advice on how to keep her secured / comfortable during the trip. Of course I will be taking all her food, water, paperwork, health certificate, etc with me. I will also only leave her in the truck with the AC running and a sign in the window advising people of that (while I use the facilities).

My concern is about keeping her on the front seat. The seats are big bucket seats so she should be fine laying / sitting there. I'm wondering if there are any carriers that could be put on those seats that can support a bullies weight (55lbs) or some other restraints / comfort stuff. I check Kurgo but they only had products for the back-seat which of course I wont have.

Any advice for our 2000 mile journey is appreciated.

View attachment 99069View attachment 99070View attachment 99071

Well I know [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] made the trip to Florida from Washington DC. She has been tagged and hopefully can chime in on your question of advice.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Safe travels to you and your bully. Have fun!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
My sister lives in Colorado Springs and we visited. The place is pretty arid so lots of water. Also, I would not be playing real hard with when you get there as you are going from sea level to a few thousand up depending on where you are going. Watch out for elevation sickness.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
What a cute story!
When we moved to maine, we had two dogs, a cat and a guinea pig. I have to say the best traveling companion was the guinea pig. Happy as a clam in her cat kennel filled with shavings. Water bottle and pellets. She sang to us the whole trip-little happy guinea pig chirps and chuckles. I can't imagine traveling with a parrot.

schak

Oct 14, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Margie
I just drove 2,200 miles from Wisconsin to California with my bulldog in late March. With everything that I was dealing with (selling house, packing, job, etc.), the drive with the dog was the one thing that rattled me the most.
It turned out to be relatively smooth sailing. Margie the bulldog was a GREAT travel companion. She was in her carrier in the back seat (she sleeps in it at home) and slept/snored a majority of the time. We took our time (four days) and I made frequent stops at rest stops so that she could get a drink, have a treat and walk around a little. Sometimes she was a little spooked by the rest stops with the big semis, so I would just zip open her carrier and give her a drink from the collapsible bowl that she uses.
Since I was traveling solo, the only thing that was tough was checking into hotels. It usually involved three or four trips to the car after checking in and checking out.

schak

Oct 14, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Margie
A selfie before we started on Day 1.

CAM01577 (2).jpg

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I drove from DC to Florida then back to DC (call me indecisive maybe) with my bully Ruckus in a Budget truck. I have two Bulldogs, but Regina rode with my boyfriend Keith in the car.

Ruckus absolutely loved it. He must have remembered the truck from the trip down because he was super excited to see the return ride.

In general, Ruckus is a pretty good traveler. We do frequent roadtrip a with the dogs, so he is accustomed to riding. The Budget trucks have a driver and pass ever seat and a gold down center seat. We wound up thing down the center seat to make bench seats. Most of the drive, Ruckus was either asleep with his head on my lap or looking out the window.

I already had a pet seatbelt restraint rated for his weight. It clips on to his harness and then has a seatbelt component that you simply buckle into your car seat belt buckle. It's adjustable so you control how much they can move and roam.

I would recommend getting a travel water bowl to keep on the cab of the truck so she always has water available. I got fresh ice whenever I stopped for gas or food and let Ruckus munch on those. Of course, I also had special treats for behavior bribery.

Even though my boyfriend and I had a 2 vehicle caravan, trucks can only go so fast. We tried to coordinate stops for bathroom breaks, food etc, but there were ultimately a few times that we were separated and I had to stop to use the bathroom at the rest stop alone. There was only one time I left Ruckus in the truck alone and that was because the rest stop was staffed and they wouldn't let me bring him into the bathroom. Otherwise, I just took him in with me and tried to grab a large enough stall. If you do leave your bully in the car alone, lock those doors. Bullies are awesome and people can be crazy.

My biggest piece of advice is to just roll with it. There will be traffic and weather to deal with and who knows what else, but you just sort of have to kiss your bully and say, okkkkkkk let's do this!

Whitney Chiang

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
We're actually going to be making a similar trek in about a month - Florida to Washington. We'll be in my Honda Fit though, so not quite as many unknowns. Our bully has been on shorter trips in the same car. For this trip though, we picked up a cool pad to stick in his bed, and we have his "cave" for staying in hotels. LaQuinta is great for bullies because they're pet friendly with no weight limit. We had a few surprises when we first got him from hotels that didn't tell us until check in that the limit was 2 25lb dogs...and Oliver is basically 2 25lb dogs.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

OP
C

CaveDiverFL

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Thanks all! Our adventure starts tomorrow. I will post photos and let you guys know how it went.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks all! Our adventure starts tomorrow. I will post photos and let you guys know how it went.

Safe travels... Look forward to pictures

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
[MENTION=11327]CaveDiverFL[/MENTION]
Not sure if you left yet, but Best wishes! Make sure to bring your extra key so if you do have to stop, you can leave care running and AC on and LOCKED.
HATS OFF to you. With full blast air on, our dog gets so excited and hyper in the car, he can't seem to calm down and will pant awfully the whole time. I dread just the 10 min ride to the vet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.