Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Moving across country with Bulldog in Truck

I drove from DC to Florida then back to DC (call me indecisive maybe) with my bully Ruckus in a Budget truck. I have two Bulldogs, but Regina rode with my boyfriend Keith in the car.

Ruckus absolutely loved it. He must have remembered the truck from the trip down because he was super excited to see the return ride.

In general, Ruckus is a pretty good traveler. We do frequent roadtrip a with the dogs, so he is accustomed to riding. The Budget trucks have a driver and pass ever seat and a gold down center seat. We wound up thing down the center seat to make bench seats. Most of the drive, Ruckus was either asleep with his head on my lap or looking out the window.

I already had a pet seatbelt restraint rated for his weight. It clips on to his harness and then has a seatbelt component that you simply buckle into your car seat belt buckle. It's adjustable so you control how much they can move and roam.

I would recommend getting a travel water bowl to keep on the cab of the truck so she always has water available. I got fresh ice whenever I stopped for gas or food and let Ruckus munch on those. Of course, I also had special treats for behavior bribery.

Even though my boyfriend and I had a 2 vehicle caravan, trucks can only go so fast. We tried to coordinate stops for bathroom breaks, food etc, but there were ultimately a few times that we were separated and I had to stop to use the bathroom at the rest stop alone. There was only one time I left Ruckus in the truck alone and that was because the rest stop was staffed and they wouldn't let me bring him into the bathroom. Otherwise, I just took him in with me and tried to grab a large enough stall. If you do leave your bully in the car alone, lock those doors. Bullies are awesome and people can be crazy.

My biggest piece of advice is to just roll with it. There will be traffic and weather to deal with and who knows what else, but you just sort of have to kiss your bully and say, okkkkkkk let's do this!

Real Name
    Whitney Chiang
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

We're actually going to be making a similar trek in about a month - Florida to Washington. We'll be in my Honda Fit though, so not quite as many unknowns. Our bully has been on shorter trips in the same car. For this trip though, we picked up a cool pad to stick in his bed, and we have his "cave" for staying in hotels. LaQuinta is great for bullies because they're pet friendly with no weight limit. We had a few surprises when we first got him from hotels that didn't tell us until check in that the limit was 2 25lb dogs...and Oliver is basically 2 25lb dogs.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Agnes
    Likes (Received)

Thanks all! Our adventure starts tomorrow. I will post photos and let you guys know how it went.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CaveDiverFL View Post
    Thanks all! Our adventure starts tomorrow. I will post photos and let you guys know how it went.
    Safe travels... Look forward to pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

@CaveDiverFL
    Not sure if you left yet, but Best wishes! Make sure to bring your extra key so if you do have to stop, you can leave care running and AC on and LOCKED.
    HATS OFF to you. With full blast air on, our dog gets so excited and hyper in the car, he can't seem to calm down and will pant awfully the whole time. I dread just the 10 min ride to the vet.

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CaveDiverFL View Post
    Just got back from my road trip...3000km... advise.... stop every 3 hrs. Walk, play, run and YOU need to also do the same! My stops lasted from 15min to 30mins. If I recall you're doing same milage as I just did. That is 3 puppy hotels!!!

ENJOY AND VROOM VROOM SAFELY

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads