Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Default How is your bully with stairs?

I have a set of about 7 stairs that Fezzik is too scared to go down. It doesn't bother me too much, but I was wondering if anyone else's bully is like that. Maybe I am babying him too much but I always carry him down the stairs mainly because he is clumsy with stairs. We always take him out the back door which has 3 stairs off the deck he goes down after some trepidation.

Default Re: How is your bully with stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    I have a set of about 7 stairs that Fezzik is too scared to go down. It doesn't bother me too much, but I was wondering if anyone else's bully is like that. Maybe I am babying him too much but I always carry him down the stairs mainly because he is clumsy with stairs. We always take him out the back door which has 3 stairs off the deck he goes down after some trepidation.
    I think their perception is off a bit when in downward motion We help brosco go down stairs if there are more than 3 Going up is no problem

Brosco also gets hesitant with a large number of stairs we help him going down, going up he has no problems

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Bella had a hard time but we just worked with her. She runs right up the stairs no problem but going down is quite comical. She puts her front paws on the lower step and pushes her tush off. While in the air she spins her hips so that now all 4 paws are on the same step. Repeat till she hits the bottom. Hasn't tumbled down yet.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Lambeau is a bowling bowl when going down stairs.... he just flies down them with wreck less abandon.... he scares me at times. All of our babies had no issue with them, but we also carried them down until they were over 6 months of age
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

7. Likes Brian Karn, jenzaar, helsonwheels liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training MFrey2012's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Ellie had some hesitation at first, but now she does them like a champ!! and if someone rings the doorbell, she goes down so fast its like she is on a sliding board

Thanks and much Love,

Melissa - Ellie's Mom

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member asherose's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
    Likes (Received)

We have a two story home...Sarge has never hesitated to use the stairs from the main floor to our upstairs (where our bedroom that he sleeps in is)...he too is like a bowling ball on the way down! He won't however go down to our basement. Our main floor stairs are carpeted, basement stairs are not. I don't know if that makes a difference to him?

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Monty doesn't do stairs. His previous home was a one storey and he never learned how. Ours is a two storey but as the master bedroom is downstairs he has no need to go upstairs at all and we have not encouraged him.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

The stairs are not carpeted. It doesn't really bother me that he doesn't go down them because I use it as a barrier to the carpeted basement area. I was just curious to see what other bullies did. I figure it's better for his joints anyways that he doesn't go up and down all those stairs.

Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    Have you ever had him xrayed? We just found out about fused vertabra, they don't bother Frith because they are high on her back, but and lower and it would have effected flexibility more. She has no problem with stairs
    Fritthy

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frith View Post
    Have you ever had him xrayed? We just found out about fused vertabra, they don't bother Frith because they are high on her back, but and lower and it would have effected flexibility more. She has no problem with stairs
    He hasn't had x-rays. He has always been scared of stairs, and still hesitates with the 3 steps in the back before going down. I think these ones just look too steep to him and he hasn't had sufficient motivation to go down since I carry him all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Lambeau is a bowling bowl when going down stairs.... he just flies down them with wreck less abandon.... he scares me at times. All of our babies had no issue with them, but we also carried them down until they were over 6 months of age
    This! Diesel will knock you on your butt if you're down range.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads