How is your bully with stairs?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I have a set of about 7 stairs that Fezzik is too scared to go down. It doesn't bother me too much, but I was wondering if anyone else's bully is like that. Maybe I am babying him too much but I always carry him down the stairs mainly because he is clumsy with stairs. We always take him out the back door which has 3 stairs off the deck he goes down after some trepidation.

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
I have a set of about 7 stairs that Fezzik is too scared to go down. It doesn't bother me too much, but I was wondering if anyone else's bully is like that. Maybe I am babying him too much but I always carry him down the stairs mainly because he is clumsy with stairs. We always take him out the back door which has 3 stairs off the deck he goes down after some trepidation.

I think their perception is off a bit when in downward motion We help brosco go down stairs if there are more than 3 Going up is no problem

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella had a hard time but we just worked with her. She runs right up the stairs no problem but going down is quite comical. She puts her front paws on the lower step and pushes her tush off. While in the air she spins her hips so that now all 4 paws are on the same step. Repeat till she hits the bottom. Hasn't tumbled down yet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau is a bowling bowl when going down stairs.... he just flies down them with wreck less abandon.... he scares me at times. All of our babies had no issue with them, but we also carried them down until they were over 6 months of age

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Ellie had some hesitation at first, but now she does them like a champ!! and if someone rings the doorbell, she goes down so fast its like she is on a sliding board

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
We have a two story home...Sarge has never hesitated to use the stairs from the main floor to our upstairs (where our bedroom that he sleeps in is)...he too is like a bowling ball on the way down! He won't however go down to our basement. Our main floor stairs are carpeted, basement stairs are not. I don't know if that makes a difference to him?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty doesn't do stairs. His previous home was a one storey and he never learned how. Ours is a two storey but as the master bedroom is downstairs he has no need to go upstairs at all and we have not encouraged him.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
The stairs are not carpeted. It doesn't really bother me that he doesn't go down them because I use it as a barrier to the carpeted basement area. I was just curious to see what other bullies did. I figure it's better for his joints anyways that he doesn't go up and down all those stairs.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith

Have you ever had him xrayed? We just found out about fused vertabra, they don't bother Frith because they are high on her back, but and lower and it would have effected flexibility more. She has no problem with stairs

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Have you ever had him xrayed? We just found out about fused vertabra, they don't bother Frith because they are high on her back, but and lower and it would have effected flexibility more. She has no problem with stairs
He hasn't had x-rays. He has always been scared of stairs, and still hesitates with the 3 steps in the back before going down. I think these ones just look too steep to him and he hasn't had sufficient motivation to go down since I carry him all the time.

Brian Karn

May 6, 2016
Lambeau is a bowling bowl when going down stairs.... he just flies down them with wreck less abandon.... he scares me at times. All of our babies had no issue with them, but we also carried them down until they were over 6 months of age
This! Diesel will knock you on your butt if you're down range.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
He hasn't had x-rays. He has always been scared of stairs, and still hesitates with the 3 steps in the back before going down. I think these ones just look too steep to him and he hasn't had sufficient motivation to go down since I carry him all the time.

Friths motivation was the schnauzer laughing at her.:)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Lolllll like the bobleheads bigger than the body.

Florasaurus

May 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluebelle
Daisy was scared to death.
Flora was learning quickly :)
Marigold runs up and down with ease!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online