KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I've been having issues with barking lately. In the morning, he has been waking up really early (my theory is due to the light or the chirping birds) and barking to go potty and be fed. Normally he is a huge sleeper and I have to pry him out of bed, but his behavior has been changing with the season.

Additionally, he has been barking for attention. I was giving him free reign of the house while I have been home, but he lost those privileges when he started chewing on baseboards again. I keep him gated in the kitchen unless my husband or I are monitoring him. So if I'm trying to sleep in a little on the weekend he barks like crazy. Going for walks help calm him down, but with the rising heat those are more difficult to achieve. And I do feel like he gets a lot of attention, but he just won't leave us alone even if it's just to run out to get the mail or something.

So I'm looking for advice on handling the 2 situations: early morning barking and separation barking. Fezzik turned 1 back in April. This started only about a week or so ago. He doesn't bark when we are not home to my knowledge; it's only when he knows we are there.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I find that my Frankie goes through cycles. Sometimes he will wake up around 1-2am to go potty for about a month and then all of a sudden stops and sleeps through the night like he always has. Maybe you could just take care of whatever he needs and put him back to sleep? Sleeping in on the weekend is tough. My boys both like to wake up between 8-9am so the solution we came up with in my house is, we handle it just like when our kids were small. My husband gets up with the boys on saturday and I get up on sunday, that way we atleast get to relax on day of the weekend. Now as far as the separation barking, I have no idea because our two are always right behind us! like always!! lol. I could never get away with gating them in another room. Bullies are too social and crave their owners presence and touch to be separated without fussing about it.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I find that my Frankie goes through cycles. Sometimes he will wake up around 1-2am to go potty for about a month and then all of a sudden stops and sleeps through the night like he always has. Maybe you could just take care of whatever he needs and put him back to sleep? Sleeping in on the weekend is tough. My boys both like to wake up between 8-9am so the solution we came up with in my house is, we handle it just like when our kids were small. My husband gets up with the boys on saturday and I get up on sunday, that way we atleast get to relax on day of the weekend. Now as far as the separation barking, I have no idea because our two are always right behind us! like always!! lol. I could never get away with gating them in another room. Bullies are too social and crave their owners presence and touch to be separated without fussing about it.

I have been taking care of his needs in the morning and then he barks for attention. I'm talking about 4:40-5:00am. Way too early for him to be up. I am considering moving a crate to the bedroom for him to sleep so that he can be near us.

I agree Fezzik is very social and wants to be everywhere I am. He doesn't bark when we leave for work. Maybe this is because of the treat ball I leave him with. But as I said, he barks even when he is not gated and I pop outside for a second to get the mail. Maybe he is still reacting to me having been away for a week (back in early May).

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have been taking care of his needs in the morning and then he barks for attention. I'm talking about 4:40-5:00am. Way too early for him to be up. I am considering moving a crate to the bedroom for him to sleep so that he can be near us.

I agree Fezzik is very social and wants to be everywhere I am. He doesn't bark when we leave for work. Maybe this is because of the treat ball I leave him with. But as I said, he barks even when he is not gated and I pop outside for a second to get the mail. Maybe he is still reacting to me having been away for a week (back in early May).
He very well could be reacting to you being away. They can hold a grudge! So if he is barking around 5am try letting him bark for 1/2hr then get up and let him out, and each day try to extend it so it becomes a reasonable time to be awake. The crate in your room may also solve your weekend issues! good luck

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Some may think this is a bit harsh but when we have multiple dogs in the house and one starts barking, others will soon join in. Chaos would soon ensue. Barking in the early AM results in a loud, "Quiet!" and if they continue...and squirt with the water bottle. They don't like that very much. It may take some repeating but it works every time. I recommend that you do not adapt your behavior to accommodate their undesirable behavior.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Some may think this is a bit harsh but when we have multiple dogs in the house and one starts barking, others will soon join in. Chaos would soon ensue. Barking in the early AM results in a loud, "Quiet!" and if they continue...and squirt with the water bottle. They don't like that very much. It may take some repeating but it works every time. I recommend that you do not adapt your behavior to accommodate their undesirable behavior.

I've started spraying with water but it has yet to work. I don't mind if he really has to go potty but after that I expect him to go back to bed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My Banks was a barker.... water bottle worked well when she wanted it to :D

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
Weekends are a bit rough... I keep them on a pretty set schedule that seems to work for us. I get up around 5:30 for work M-F.. which means I get to do that on Sat and Sun as well. :ohmy:
They are waiting patiently by the containment gate, but start whimpering and whining like they haven't eaten in a week if I am running a bit late.

But they will go back to sleep after we go potty and they get their breakfast. :yes:
I have them on an alternating day on and day off at daycare. Reya would go each day, but Vader gets worn down and it doesn't seem good to take him each day. So they get a weekend every other day... Not fair.. :fie:

Going thru an issue with Vader at the moment. Not a barking for attention bark. More of a I have gotten up and got a drink of water and the night light is on.. don't remember the night light.. So he barks at it. Or the trash can... ect.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I think I may have solved the morning barking. I have started feeding him 1/4-1/2 cup of food before I go to bed. He has been sleeping in all week and he comes out eats his food and goes back to sleep. So maybe he wakes up because he is hungry. Also, the birds have stopped chirping.

As far as the other barking, we are just letting him out and letting him tag along all over and just keeping a close eye on him.

Whitney Chiang

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I've been having issues with barking lately. In the morning, he has been waking up really early (my theory is due to the light or the chirping birds) and barking to go potty and be fed. Normally he is a huge sleeper and I have to pry him out of bed, but his behavior has been changing with the season.

Additionally, he has been barking for attention. I was giving him free reign of the house while I have been home, but he lost those privileges when he started chewing on baseboards again. I keep him gated in the kitchen unless my husband or I are monitoring him. So if I'm trying to sleep in a little on the weekend he barks like crazy. Going for walks help calm him down, but with the rising heat those are more difficult to achieve. And I do feel like he gets a lot of attention, but he just won't leave us alone even if it's just to run out to get the mail or something.

So I'm looking for advice on handling the 2 situations: early morning barking and separation barking. Fezzik turned 1 back in April. This started only about a week or so ago. He doesn't bark when we are not home to my knowledge; it's only when he knows we are there.

If you think it's tied to the sun and cycle changes, maybe try blackout curtains? They're pretty inexpensive, and it might help regulate his cycle to match when you get up.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.