asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
Hi everyone!
I'm still super new to this EB mom thing...and it's a little difficult for me as Sarge is so different from my Boston Terrier. Dutchie (the Boston) has a titanium stomach. He loves milk bones, bully sticks, you name it...he eats it (once he ate almost half of a turkey...I kid you not, an 21lb Thanksgiving turkey that he climbed onto the table to get to well we were helping company into the house! The bird weighed more then Dutch!) Anyways...Dutchie has a routine, he gets 4 mini milk bones when mom leaves for work, and 4 when she gets home (they're the tiny ones). Sarge wants something...I got him some homemade sweet potato treats from our local market and he seemed to like them...but he always looks so disappointed he's not getting cookies! He's actually breaking my heart! Can you guys give me some suggestions for the best treats for EBs?

This is what I come home to...they bulldoze me over to the treat cupboard then look adorable!
IMG_6373.JPG

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
IIRC, Milk Bones are primarily wheat. Not what I consider good for any dog...especially a Bulldog. But they taste good so most dogs gobble them up. Try to avoid grains like Wheat Corn Soy.
There are lots of really good snacks for Bulldogs available. The one we serve is Nuzzles (Duck and Cherry made by The Honest Kitchen). Keep in mind that just because a dog is large doesn't mean they have to have a large treat. All dogs appreciate a treat and even tiny treats are welcomed with enthusiasm.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We do Fruitables... but those are small too :/ I would just look for something grain free, :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Ashley, I agree with Chip, try to stay away from the milk bones they are mostly wheat like he said, and are also full of other fillers, and they have a lot of preservatives that aren't good for dogs. I feed our guys treats like cut up apples, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon. I buy only natural treats from the store like Benny Bullies, which are just natural freeze dried Liver, with no added ingredients or preservatives, I like the Fruitables for the same reason, I also buy the wellness soft chews. If you want to just give him a little treat to reward him or to get him to do something you can just give him a piece of his own kibble.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
No reason why you can't give same treats to both and yeah, treats can be a BITE
of something, even a bite of kibble ;)

Stop milk bones and try boiled eggs (give with shell on *roll on counter to break up, is
great source of calcium), a couple small sardines *water packed only, couple slices of
avocado *peeled & no pits!, is safe for dogs & great for skin & coat, a dollop of plain,
greek yogurt, and bites of apple, melons, banana...alternate these thru the week & your
babies will be happy & healthy :)

Whitney Chiang

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Watermelon bits, green beans, & carrots are good people food, which can make great treats. Sweet potato treats are great too. We have a local guy at our farmer's market that makes homemade dog food and treats that are grain free, and Oliver loves the "cookies" they make. They're a bit crumbly, but I know they're good for him, and he likes them. Maybe stick to something home made and give both dogs the same?

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Rosie gets grain free treats , but her fave is Beef lung ( all my guys love these , have 5 dogs ) , companies name is Benco pet foods , all natural, another huge thing she loves and her pal Nelli is ice cubes out of the ice maker in the fridge , both come running when they here Me getting ice in a glass , in the hot summer it is great for them some dogs will have nothing to do with them but Rosie and Nelli go nuts for them .
One other treat Rosie loves is salmon sweet potato jerky treats goes nuts for them , there grain free , holistic , are made in the USA by Triumph dog treat company

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea gets mostly fruits and veggies for treats. When we give her "cookies" she gets the Wet Noses grain free kale chips and she scarfs them up.

OP
asherose

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
Thank you so much everyone! I had no idea that I could give Sarge real fruit & veggies! And eggs...that's so great!!! I'm going to stop today on the way home and pick him up some of the treats you recommended! The Boston won't eat fruit or veggies, but I think he would love some of the treats you recommended! Thanks again everyone!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
HI! Welcome to EBN. Try to remember when giving fruit, to keep an eye on the amount as they have sugar,albeit natural, still not good inlarge quantities. My guys love sliced up apples. I core them, peel them, and slice and they love it. Frozen green beans are a great summer snack as well. I buy a bag of frozen fruit, which usually has strawberrys, bananas, mango, and peaches sliced up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gang gave some great choices..... I also just use their kibble sometimes -- they do not care what it is as long as they get what you offer :D

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I got these for Fritthy because of ME, but she loves them, and our dog Finn loves then....he a schnauzer, and listens now. Training with these is amazing. And we tried the dog chew, they loved it. Be warned the tube thing turns them off at first, but they get over it. Training, treats, our dogs love this stuff.

https://www.himalayandogchew.com/products/leanlix

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
fruitables and fromm's cookies are good treats.
In addition to the kibbles
I give my dog - watermelon, cantaloupe, sliced apples, persimmons, pineapple
boiled veggies with beef bouillion: celeries,carrots,

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.