Hottest temp you walk your bully in?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
What is the hottest temperature you will walk your bully in? I just took Fezzik for a walk and I think we overdid it. He was making noises I have never heard from him before and breathing and snorting hard. It is 75 out and i think we did 1.25 miles. He is fine now that he is inside with ac and fans. I also wet him down and gave him ice cubes. Still panting hard but normal walk panting.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That is too hot for that distance. Bullies are not built for long walks even though some people will do so, but they are playing with their lives. 75 doesn't seem hot, but if it is sunny, they will overheat quickly, even just sitting outside. I would only take very short walks when it is sunny and over 72 or so.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
What is the hottest temperature you will walk your bully in? I just took Fezzik for a walk and I think we overdid it. He was making noises I have never heard from him before and breathing and snorting hard. It is 75 out and i think we did 1.25 miles. He is fine now that he is inside with ac and fans. I also wet him down and gave him ice cubes. Still panting hard but normal walk panting.

Kim, so many things go into the determination of overheating risk, not just higher summer temps.

Sounds like your Fezzik did get overheated & it's a very dangerous condition & comes on very suddenly!

Flat faced breeds are especially prone to overheat, many die once they get too hot ;(

Humidity is just as dangerous as actual temps, some breeds have overheated in 70* & humid conditions.

No longer walks in heat above 70*, take them in early am (before 9 am) or late evening (after sundown).
I live in TX and it can be too hot & humid even at 10 pm in summer), my bulldogs only go out to potty &
back in, I take no chances!

Many bulldogs have very narrow tracheas, elongated, soft palates & other things that add to their danger.

Also, once heat stroked, they are susceptible to that condition again, just not worth the risks of walks or
taking them to outdoor events, etc once it's hot & humid. Nope...not me & my bulldogs!

Hoping Fezzik has fully recovered, he says...no more walks until Fall arrives ;)

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Also...once it's hot outside, their pads can get burned by walking on hot pavement,
even (like in TX) regular ground. Best they stay indoors in Summer.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I agree it was too far. The sun wasn't too intense and the pavement was fine but I think the humidity and distance got to him. I always carry water with me. He was fine about five minutes after we got home into the cool. I will just have to commit to morning walks. We usually only go that far every 3 days or so otherwise it is a shorter walk.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great hearing he's okay!

Even bully experienced owners have lost their babies to this, it sneaks up
on them & worst, it's hard to stop it once in full shut down mode.

If you have a treadmill, that's an option for him (inside) or inclement weather too.

As [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] (expert breeder) advises, bulldogs are not a breed for long walks, even
in mild temps. And their joints are loose & prone to problems so gotta be careful with
that too. Short & easy is best, control their weight by watching portions & little to no
snacks.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
So what is the best distance to walk a bully?

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So what is the best distance to walk a bully?

It depends on your bully entirely, so individual in build & fitness level. But again,
bulldogs, especially English Bulldogs are just not bred to be active dogs.

Can you post pics of Fezzik, his age, etc? If you have an experienced bully Vet,
they can recommend what's best for your dog.

Most can tolerate a block maybe two at a reasonable pace but some can't do that.
Many can do down your street & back, remember...those short legs make any walk
so much harder on them.

How long have you had Fezzik and is he used to walking since you've had him on a
regular basis?

I got my Cami at 5 years old, she hates walking, refuses, sits down & will not go!
She's very short legged & fat...65 lbs...she goes potty & wants to come right back in.
Fine by me as she has sprained her leg a couple of times, their joints are loose and
prone to injury. I had her down to 60 lbs & going on down to 55 lbs but got ill these
last 2 months & my son & gf gave her too much 'extra' snacks (I give none). So, we
start back to getting those lbs off! She's 8 yrs old now & needs to be at 50/55 lbs.

Pics please & age, let's help you & Fezzik come up with a plan :)

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
It depends on your bully entirely, so individual in build & fitness level. But again,
bulldogs, especially English Bulldogs are just not bred to be active dogs.

Can you post pics of Fezzik, his age, etc? If you have an experienced bully Vet,
they can recommend what's best for your dog.

Most can tolerate a block maybe two at a reasonable pace but some can't do that.
Many can do down your street & back, remember...those short legs make any walk
so much harder on them.

How long have you had Fezzik and is he used to walking since you've had him on a
regular basis?

I got my Cami at 5 years old, she hates walking, refuses, sits down & will not go!
She's very short legged & fat...65 lbs...she goes potty & wants to come right back in.
Fine by me as she has sprained her leg a couple of times, their joints are loose and
prone to injury. I had her down to 60 lbs & going on down to 55 lbs but got ill these
last 2 months & my son & gf gave her too much 'extra' snacks (I give none). So, we
start back to getting those lbs off! She's 8 yrs old now & needs to be at 50/55 lbs.

Pics please & age, let's help you & Fezzik come up with a plan :)

I have had Fezzik since he was 8 weeks old. He just turned 1 in April. He has gradually been increasing his walking distance. In the cooler weather he will do the loop around my block (1.25 miles) very easily. We are still learning leash manners, but he keeps up a good pace the whole distance. We also stop for water breaks and rest every so often when he tells me to and when I tell him to. I haven't noticed any changes in gait or limping. When he was a puppy, he would sit and refuse to go, but now he loves them and will usually sit and refuse to go when he wants a break and then start up again after a little petting and rest. I usually base how far we go on his energy within the house or yard.

He is typically between 49-53lbs. I have recently reduced his food to 2 cups a day so his weight has been fluctuating slightly but he maintains a good waistline. His waist is skinnier when he stands, but he moves too much to get a picture of him like that.

Here are some pictures ranging from today to a couple of months ago.

Fezz 1.jpgFezz 2.jpgFezz 3.jpg

I don't think my vet is as experienced with bullies as I would like, but I haven't really found one within a good driving distance.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
1.25 miles? I bet my two didn't walk 1.25 miles the whole month of May. Combined. We took them to Hilton Head last week. They were like two little old ladies. They want nothing to do with swimming pools. But they know where every AC vent is located. We quit walking them until fall. If it's under 70 degrees they are good. Above forget about it. But that's just our two.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Early in the mornings only, I started Nyala 3 months going out by the back lane and go around the front of the house for a month. She was restless and needed to move more. Then started once around the block for a few weeks. Still she needed to spend energy as she's like the energizer bunny on tv. When she got to 6 months I ended up doing 3 km which in miles is 1.86. She followed very well. Did that every day for a few weeks. I tried something and I let someone know that if I call to come pick me up. So I had backup. I walked Nyala one morning very cool outside, had my water bottle and walked 6km. She followed very well. But the last 1/2km she started to stick her tongue out. She didn't pant or make noises. I stopped, gave her some water, chit chatted a bit 5 mins and she was fine. So her limit is 5km. Again only on cool days in the morning. I never let her out for any walks if it's 20 cel or higher (68 f). I won't risk that. Today shes 8 months and still walks alot. These days I stick to 3km as it's much warmer and I have a plantar fasciitis. So it's I that has a problem walking lollll. Im ok now almost gone. I can bike for now but Nyala is nowhere near following me on a bike.

You see, it all boils down to the dog. You have very active bullies and the ones not so much. I had an extremely active GS and my brother's was a lazy one, use to breed dobermans that was very active and some were not. Im "not" any expert on bullies as it's new to me. But I do know dogs. Bullies are like we say "man made" or "tailored" to what man made them to be..... for fighting! Yes they're not greyhounds but of course you will get the active bulldog just like you'll get the lazy one. You dont get a lazy dog and expect them to run with you, you just cant. It's like humans, dont expect to do marathons if you're not trained for running or if you're not active. It's plain logic you still need to move to stay fit just like a dog would need to. Use your knowledge and see how far your dog can do. But.... Babysteps! Takes months not weeks and stick to your dogs limits not yours!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with everyone above and their excellent advice. We also don't take our guys on long walks once the temperatures are above 68F. We will only take them out for potty breaks, and we will go,on our longer walks in the evening after the sun goes down. Dozer is t much for walking, but is getting better, he can walk for about 20 to 30 minutes with water breaks and a rest or two. Blossom has tons of energy and loves to walk, she can typically walk for an hour, again with water and rest breaks. We will only let her walk for longer periods, if it is cool outside and with many stops. Every bully is different in their tolerance for exercise, so you have to watch and observe your dog and see how they handle going on walks. If you find he is panting too much, salivating excessively, or drooling, then he's had too much. Bullies do much better in an AC environment when it's hot, they don't tolerate extremes of temperatures hot or cold, and they don't require too much exercise, maybe no more than 20 mins a day. It's always better to be safe than sorry, and to be over cautious, because they can overheat so quickly and it can become dangerous really fast.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Also...once it's hot outside, their pads can get burned by walking on hot pavement...
This is very important. Pink pads burn quicker than black(calloused) pads and if the pavement is uncomfortable to "your" bare foot, you can figure it will be just as hot for any bulldog. Keep walks short and try to go in the early AM or late afternoon. If temps are over 80°, no walks! Labored breathing means it's time to STOP.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Mine once walked about 11-13 Km in one round, in WINTER. Now that temperature is getting higher around 20-26C he is being walked about 500 meters to a kilometer depends on the humidity and temp outside. At 30C and above he is 5-10 mins outside max.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never take them for walks over 70 degrees and the distance, regardless of temp is only 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile... sometimes less depending on the panting and once I see drool I turn around

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.