Hottest temp you walk your bully in?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Actually, I think Fezzik told you everything. By his reactions it was too far and too hot for him under those conditions. I have a lazy bulldog that doesn't like to walk but I don't let him stay laid out in the heat once he starts panting (which only takes a few minutes in Texas). The humidity is also a big factor. When you take him for any walk, don't forget to factor in the return part and allow for that. I don't know what part of the country you are in so don't know your climate year round but it sounds like walks are out for now, or only very short ones.

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Due to her respiratory issues we do not walk Bristol. That being said she follows me all over the house and I walk 10,000 steps pretty much just doing chores and keeping active. She also plays with our other bully so I am not worried about her exercise. The vet said she is in great shape and that should be plenty of movement for her. I agree with other posters they really aren't built for walking long sometimes even short distances, I don't know that I would chance it but I am more intimidated then most due to our struggles.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] I had a minor case of overheating with my baby this past weekend too. I think the weather has been just too humid and hot (at least for us here in Houston - TX). Izzy can usually powerwalk with me for 3 miles... (she is stronger and faster than me!). She is also in great shape but something about this past weekend got her. I know bullies that cant walk 1/2 mile... mine can walk, run and swim like a pro for hours! Just it just depends on your baby... mine has longer legs, i keep her weight low and she has no problems breathing. So just keep an eye on him and watch for signs. Yesterday I had to stop underneath a tree and take a 30 minutes break... then I carried her for 2 blocks!

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I live in Massachusetts. My neighborhood is pretty closed off and there are 3 or 4 loop options I can do. I think the safest thing will be morning/evening walks and loops. He really does love to walk and will tell me when he is too tired. Luckily he started breathing hard when we were down the street from home so we stopped in the shade, sat, and got him some fluids before getting him into the house to cool him down.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
[MENTION=15285]KimDe[/MENTION] I had a minor case of overheating with my baby this past weekend too. I think the weather has been just too humid and hot (at least for us here in Houston - TX). Izzy can usually powerwalk with me for 3 miles... (she is stronger and faster than me!). She is also in great shape but something about this past weekend got her. I know bullies that cant walk 1/2 mile... mine can walk, run and swim like a pro for hours! Just it just depends on your baby... mine has longer legs, i keep her weight low and she has no problems breathing. So just keep an eye on him and watch for signs. Yesterday I had to stop underneath a tree and take a 30 minutes break... then I carried her for 2 blocks!

I can just imagine myself carrying him for 10 steps, putting him down, and doing it all over. Must have been a long 2 blocks.

53lbs is a hefty dog. Good thing he thinks he is a lap dog and will hold still in my arms and always wants to come up on the chair to cuddle with me and his ball.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I live in Massachusetts. My neighborhood is pretty closed off and there are 3 or 4 loop options I can do. I think the safest thing will be morning/evening walks and loops. He really does love to walk and will tell me when he is too tired. Luckily he started breathing hard when we were down the street from home so we stopped in the shade, sat, and got him some fluids before getting him into the house to cool him down.

You are all lucky... here in TX we get 70+F weather most of the year. We are getting ready for 90's and 100's... it's almost impossible to find a perfect time to walk our babies.... even when I try to run at 5am is already too hot!

Pool is the solution for summer... also indoors play areas.... and day care!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I can just imagine myself carrying him for 10 steps, putting him down, and doing it all over. Must have been a long 2 blocks.

53lbs is a hefty dog. Good thing he thinks he is a lap dog and will hold still in my arms and always wants to come up on the chair to cuddle with me and his ball.

Izzy weights 38-39lbs. I just dont want to take a chance so I carry if I notice her panting. She is too active and if I dont exercise her she drives me crazy and gets very anxious!

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky and I walk at 9am when I feed him the first time and around 1030pm now that its getting hot here. I let him outside late in the evening in the backyard and we play frisbee or football for 5-10 minutes at his slow pace and we go in for ice and water. When it was in the 50's and 60's I have walked him the 1 mile that my neighborhood is and its hills but if he got overheated on the hills it is easy to go back down and go through someones yard to get back to the house since I live in the lower section of the neighborhood.

He is getting to heavy so I am going to cut back on how much I feed him. I am guessing 65-70 lbs now and he looks good at that weight. I just don't think its healthy him weighing that much as with summer here

Whitney Chiang

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Ours isn't fond of walks unless we're going somewhere new and fun, so for our daily walks, we just don't even try to go more than a block when it's warm and/or humid. He's pretty much restricted to A/C then - sometimes we'll take him to the park to run if there's a lake to swim in or it's raining. He's pretty active though, so when it's cold (50s or lower), he'll walk for 2-3 miles if we're out somewhere fun or new.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
1.25 miles? I bet my two didn't walk 1.25 miles the whole month of May. Combined. We took them to Hilton Head last week. They were like two little old ladies. They want nothing to do with swimming pools. But they know where every AC vent is located. We quit walking them until fall. If it's under 70 degrees they are good. Above forget about it. But that's just our two.

Sounds like my Jewelie Girl. Cute response.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I have had Fezzik since he was 8 weeks old. He just turned 1 in April. He has gradually been increasing his walking distance. In the cooler weather he will do the loop around my block (1.25 miles) very easily. We are still learning leash manners, but he keeps up a good pace the whole distance. We also stop for water breaks and rest every so often when he tells me to and when I tell him to. I haven't noticed any changes in gait or limping. When he was a puppy, he would sit and refuse to go, but now he loves them and will usually sit and refuse to go when he wants a break and then start up again after a little petting and rest. I usually base how far we go on his energy within the house or yard.

He is typically between 49-53lbs. I have recently reduced his food to 2 cups a day so his weight has been fluctuating slightly but he maintains a good waistline. His waist is skinnier when he stands, but he moves too much to get a picture of him like that.

Here are some pictures ranging from today to a couple of months ago.

View attachment 98887View attachment 98888View attachment 98889

I don't think my vet is as experienced with bullies as I would like, but I haven't really found one within a good driving distance.

Replied to this but it wouldn't post so here goes again ;)

Fezzik looks great and since he's only ONE & still growing (and active too)
I wouldn't cut back on his 1 & 1/2 cup AM & PM until he's 3 yrs old and then
re-evaluate at that point. Bulldogs mature slowly and continue growing until
3 yrs old. First year they grow up (taller) in 2nd year they grow out (widen) as
in, their heads drop & become broader & heavier, their chest widens & deepens.
As long as he's active and looks like this, he's doing great!

What do you breeders suggest, seeing these pics & this info?
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]...

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Just watch and err on the side of caution. My Schultz loves standing and absorbing heat on hot and humid days and I'm the one who has to call time out back to the a/c....
It's 85 and sunny today and I stopped to caution a young woman today who was walking 2 black labs (who were panting and lagging) ... I tried to be as nice as possible (offered to drive all 3 home) and suggested it's probably not a great time for a walk.... She passed on the ride[emoji849]

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Right now, my Bully, Maximus does not leave the house to go out for walks because he tore both of his ACL's. He is still limping some 6-months after the incident. However, I did have an incident outdoors with him a few years ago. We took him to the park
it was a nice day out, sunny and mild. However, for Maximus, it was a little to warm for him and he collapsed of Heat Stroke.
As a result, we had to rush him home and throw him in the bathtub to cool him down. I learned from that experience, and now
will not take Maximus (or my Pug) outdoors if the temperature is above 70-degrees. Both my Bulldog and my Pug are indoor
breeds and this time of year, they stay indoors with Air conditioning.

Staff online

Members online