Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hottest temp you walk your bully in?

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hottest temp you walk your bully in?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Also...once it's hot outside, their pads can get burned by walking on hot pavement...
    This is very important. Pink pads burn quicker than black(calloused) pads and if the pavement is uncomfortable to "your" bare foot, you can figure it will be just as hot for any bulldog. Keep walks short and try to go in the early AM or late afternoon. If temps are over 80°, no walks! Labored breathing means it's time to STOP.

2. Likes RalphieBoy, Texas Carol liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Mine once walked about 11-13 Km in one round, in WINTER. Now that temperature is getting higher around 20-26C he is being walked about 500 meters to a kilometer depends on the humidity and temp outside. At 30C and above he is 5-10 mins outside max.

4. Likes Texas Carol, rjisaterp liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I never take them for walks over 70 degrees and the distance, regardless of temp is only 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile... sometimes less depending on the panting and once I see drool I turn around
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

6. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Actually, I think Fezzik told you everything. By his reactions it was too far and too hot for him under those conditions. I have a lazy bulldog that doesn't like to walk but I don't let him stay laid out in the heat once he starts panting (which only takes a few minutes in Texas). The humidity is also a big factor. When you take him for any walk, don't forget to factor in the return part and allow for that. I don't know what part of the country you are in so don't know your climate year round but it sounds like walks are out for now, or only very short ones.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

8. Likes Texas Carol, rjisaterp liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penny and Bristol
    Likes (Received)

Due to her respiratory issues we do not walk Bristol. That being said she follows me all over the house and I walk 10,000 steps pretty much just doing chores and keeping active. She also plays with our other bully so I am not worried about her exercise. The vet said she is in great shape and that should be plenty of movement for her. I agree with other posters they really aren't built for walking long sometimes even short distances, I don't know that I would chance it but I am more intimidated then most due to our struggles.

10. Likes Texas Carol, rjisaterp liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

@KimDe I had a minor case of overheating with my baby this past weekend too. I think the weather has been just too humid and hot (at least for us here in Houston - TX). Izzy can usually powerwalk with me for 3 miles... (she is stronger and faster than me!). She is also in great shape but something about this past weekend got her. I know bullies that cant walk 1/2 mile... mine can walk, run and swim like a pro for hours! Just it just depends on your baby... mine has longer legs, i keep her weight low and she has no problems breathing. So just keep an eye on him and watch for signs. Yesterday I had to stop underneath a tree and take a 30 minutes break... then I carried her for 2 blocks!

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

12. Likes Texas Carol, rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

I live in Massachusetts. My neighborhood is pretty closed off and there are 3 or 4 loop options I can do. I think the safest thing will be morning/evening walks and loops. He really does love to walk and will tell me when he is too tired. Luckily he started breathing hard when we were down the street from home so we stopped in the shade, sat, and got him some fluids before getting him into the house to cool him down.

14. Likes Texas Carol, rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    @KimDe I had a minor case of overheating with my baby this past weekend too. I think the weather has been just too humid and hot (at least for us here in Houston - TX). Izzy can usually powerwalk with me for 3 miles... (she is stronger and faster than me!). She is also in great shape but something about this past weekend got her. I know bullies that cant walk 1/2 mile... mine can walk, run and swim like a pro for hours! Just it just depends on your baby... mine has longer legs, i keep her weight low and she has no problems breathing. So just keep an eye on him and watch for signs. Yesterday I had to stop underneath a tree and take a 30 minutes break... then I carried her for 2 blocks!
    I can just imagine myself carrying him for 10 steps, putting him down, and doing it all over. Must have been a long 2 blocks.

53lbs is a hefty dog. Good thing he thinks he is a lap dog and will hold still in my arms and always wants to come up on the chair to cuddle with me and his ball.

16. Likes Texas Carol, rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    I live in Massachusetts. My neighborhood is pretty closed off and there are 3 or 4 loop options I can do. I think the safest thing will be morning/evening walks and loops. He really does love to walk and will tell me when he is too tired. Luckily he started breathing hard when we were down the street from home so we stopped in the shade, sat, and got him some fluids before getting him into the house to cool him down.
    You are all lucky... here in TX we get 70+F weather most of the year. We are getting ready for 90's and 100's... it's almost impossible to find a perfect time to walk our babies.... even when I try to run at 5am is already too hot!

Pool is the solution for summer... also indoors play areas.... and day care!

18. Likes Texas Carol, rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    I can just imagine myself carrying him for 10 steps, putting him down, and doing it all over. Must have been a long 2 blocks.

53lbs is a hefty dog. Good thing he thinks he is a lap dog and will hold still in my arms and always wants to come up on the chair to cuddle with me and his ball.
    Izzy weights 38-39lbs. I just dont want to take a chance so I carry if I notice her panting. She is too active and if I dont exercise her she drives me crazy and gets very anxious!

20. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bg), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

33 degrees ????? At my age in life it gets hot to me at 34 degrees . . .

22. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Chunky and I walk at 9am when I feed him the first time and around 1030pm now that its getting hot here. I let him outside late in the evening in the backyard and we play frisbee or football for 5-10 minutes at his slow pace and we go in for ice and water. When it was in the 50's and 60's I have walked him the 1 mile that my neighborhood is and its hills but if he got overheated on the hills it is easy to go back down and go through someones yard to get back to the house since I live in the lower section of the neighborhood.

He is getting to heavy so I am going to cut back on how much I feed him. I am guessing 65-70 lbs now and he looks good at that weight. I just don't think its healthy him weighing that much as with summer here

Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

24. Likes Texas Carol, rjisaterp liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads