Other dogs randomly hate our bully - is this a bulldog thing?

Whitney Chiang

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
We've had Oliver for a little over 2 years now, he's 4 years old. He had very little training before we got him, but he's never been aggressive and he now knows sit, stay (mostly), okay, shake, and "bring me your toy" (he'll bring his rope or Kong over to play). Since we've had him though, other dogs we know that have never been aggressive will growl at him for no apparent reason - we've even had two dogs nip his ear (didn't break skin), and recently, we left him with family while we were on vacation, and a 2 year old dog that has known our bully his whole life attacked him. He was bruised pretty badly, and lots of scrapes and cuts, but nothing was broken and no stitches. He's healed fully, and he's even back to playing with the dog that got him (heavily supervised of course).

Through all of this, our Oliver just stands there. He doesn't growl or bark or fight back, he just sits there. Is there something he's doing that we can't see to antagonize these normally friendly dogs? Is there anything we can do to fix this? I'm terrified to leave him alone again, and he does usually come with us when we travel, but when we have to fly, he just can't.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Many dog react differently to Bulldogs because they don't approach like other dogs..they stand and stare,don't usually sniff butts like other dogs-so other dogs don't know how to take that. They also look so different. I think since they don't do the usual doggie formalities, other dogs are apprehensive when they come near.

Dukiesmom

Feb 8, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dukie (Duke)
So glad you posted this! My dogs always love all dogs and are fast friends, but when I brought Dukie home at 9 weeks, they acted like they wanted nothing to do with him, totally opposite than they've ever acted! I thought it was an ugly duck syndrome

Brian Karn

May 6, 2016
So glad you posted this! My dogs always love all dogs and are fast friends, but when I brought Dukie home at 9 weeks, they acted like they wanted nothing to do with him, totally opposite than they've ever acted! I thought it was an ugly duck syndrome
Yep! Same here. Brought home Diesel to our lab who LOVES every dog and she immediately disliked him. She threw a fit and wouldn't eat the first week he was here. Today she tolerates him but will put him in check after she's had enough of him swallowing her head or biting her achilles. I think they sense man's hand in the creation of bulldogs and they're pissed.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Yes! Whenever we take Barkley to a dog park, a lot of other dogs don't like him, and of course those are the ones he wants to try and play with haha. He is not the slightest bit aggressive and if any dog ever gets a little aggressive with him, he goes submissive and doesn't know what the heck their problem is.

I think it's because of their smushed faces and their loud breathing, it throws other dogs off. Barkley also will sniff other dogs for SO long, maybe because it takes them longer to get a good sniff in? But I think that probably annoys the other dogs too!

It's funny too because whenever we've taken him to a bulldog meetup, he never has any interest in hanging with the other bullies, he always wants to go play with the huskies and labs and other big dogs that are at the park too haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You had him for 2 yrs and he's 4 now. Do you know anything about him 2 previous years?

One thing for sure when you travel and not there, dont leave him with anyone that has dogs. You just never know. Especially when you're not there you just cant help him out or the situation. Hope that family dog that attack him was immediately put to the floor on his side and submit.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It's a very common thing and so sad.

Discussed often but only theories as to WHY, no hard facts.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] suggestion is a great one, no dogs where you
place him while traveling, not even over to visit. Bringing a pet
sitter to YOUR home would be another alternative.

Welcome to EBN :)

OP
Whitney Chiang

Whitney Chiang

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
You had him for 2 yrs and he's 4 now. Do you know anything about him 2 previous years?

One thing for sure when you travel and not there, dont leave him with anyone that has dogs. You just never know. Especially when you're not there you just cant help him out or the situation. Hope that family dog that attack him was immediately put to the floor on his side and submit.

We didn't know him for the first two years, we got him from a friend of a friend who was going to have to send him to rescue if someone didn't take him in. We have all his vet records, and contact info of his first family. From what we can tell from talking with his first family and seeing photos, he was treated like the baby of the family - we have photos of him in his own room with his name on the wall. They had to give him up because they had a baby and couldn't figure out how to manage both - especially since he wasn't trained at all.

OP
Whitney Chiang

Whitney Chiang

May 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
It's a very common thing and so sad.

Discussed often but only theories as to WHY, no hard facts.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] suggestion is a great one, no dogs where you
place him while traveling, not even over to visit. Bringing a pet
sitter to YOUR home would be another alternative.

Welcome to EBN :)

Thanks - It's really good to know it's not just Oliver. I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with him. And I'm leaning toward just having someone come stay at our place if we have to leave him. Definitely no where with other dogs, but home is probably best.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Whitney, everyone has already given you great advice, and I agree with you, it's probably best to have someone house sit at home with him, or to board him where he can on his own. We used Petsmart boarding when we went to Jamaica a couple of years ago, and we were very happy with their care. They have their own rooms with a coolaroo bed and you bring their own toys and food. They take them out for walks, and they do have a play room for exercise and socializing, but will supervise, or keep him separate if that is what you ask for. I have had the same experiences with my guys at Leash free parks, other dogs always try to hump or dominate, or show aggression towards my fur babies, but they just want to run around and play. They are never aggressive. Most of the time they just ignore other dogs, and play with each other, but anytime I've been to a bully meetup or we see other EB's they all get along.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I think it's because of their smushed faces and their loud breathing, it throws other dogs off. Barkley also will sniff other dogs for SO long, maybe because it takes them longer to get a good sniff in? But I think that probably annoys the other dogs too!

I think so too. Because they breathe loudly, their tails are short if there's any at all, other dogs probably misread them. They simply have very different disposition than other dogs. My boy at 3 years old have been attacked and got bitten 3-4x already. Not counting those near misses that only resulted to nipses because of owner's fast reaction. These bad experinces taught him to be defensive. If the other dog's back fur are up, his would be up too. As a puppy there was nothing else he loves than other dogs but he would either be just ignored or nipped or attacked. As he grows up it taught me to be more vigilant of dogs i don't know.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We didn't know him for the first two years, we got him from a friend of a friend who was going to have to send him to rescue if someone didn't take him in. We have all his vet records, and contact info of his first family. From what we can tell from talking with his first family and seeing photos, he was treated like the baby of the family - we have photos of him in his own room with his name on the wall. They had to give him up because they had a baby and couldn't figure out how to manage both - especially since he wasn't trained at all.

Nice of you to have taken him. :) at least you know his background. Lucky baby. But don't mean he has to be the punching bag either. Some dogs are just big teddy bears which you seem to have one. It will be up to you to keep an eye out on the other alpha dogs. Yes they can play and can get a bit rough, but there is no need for aggressiveness from others. That's where you come in. :)

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Most dogs have gotten along with Chunky so far but the neighbors Jack Russell attacked him a few times. Most big dogs pay him no attention like he does them and the really small ones just bark at him but thats what they do all the time.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Every dog hates Canelo but some will warm up to him. We even joke about it, like we took him to the dog park when he was less than a year old. There was a Boston Terrier that just went nuts at Canelo, his name was Charlie. Charlie was so fired up that he was attached to Canelo's face, biting his jowl and holding on to it. His owner was trying to peel him from Canelo's face, apologizing profusely, and Canelo was fine just wondering why was this little dog on his face. Husband and I were laughing and we had to calm Charlie's owner down because he felt so bad and embarrassed. We hold Canelo back when we come around new dogs. Canelo is so eager and friendly but I think his loud breathing does him in. Once dogs spend some time with him, they do warm up to him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online