cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, I spoke w/my puppy's breeder today and little Tate turned 5wks old yesterday:D

I'll be bringing him home in another 3 weeks or so and want to get my home as puppy-ready as possible before he arrives. My question to all you experienced bulldog owners is, what size crate do you recommend i buy for Tate? Ideally, I'd like to just buy one crate that he can grow into but i'm understanding that you don't want to get one that is too large. I know there are crates that come with dividers too...but does anyone have one they could highly recommend to me? I have yet to step into a Petco or any other pet supply store yet so all of this is really kind of foreign to me.
Thanks for any input!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Congratulations. I got a medium sized crate at Petco I think it was for up to 60lbs. I can't remember. I would go larger for him to grow into, you can always but a bed in it or blanket over it to make it feel smaller to your bully.

Can't wait to see photos.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I got the 700 series recommended for beagles,cocker spaniels chow chows and cattle dogs... It has 2 doors and came with a divider. I didn't want to buy her a different crate every few weeks.

This is her in it now at almost 4 months old (I woke her up coming down the steps to take the pic...she's such a light sleeper)

059.jpg

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
we never got the hang of crates, just could not resist the cries at night, had to bring them in bed and snuggle. They do have crates in our room. They mainly go into them during the day, we just leave the door open. I did find them via Craigslist. They tend to be so very expensive.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I have the same crate as [MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION]. Look for the box with the chow on it. this fits them the best. it comes with a divider. very useful. AND DO NOT BUY IT AT PETCO! or petsmart. if you get it from a pet supply warehouse or walmart you will save 20 dollars!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
If you plan on later doing vacations with your dog...look into the ones that fold down. Verses the ones that have the long prongs that hold them together. They compact much easier and assemble back together quite easy...

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah has a medium sized one from Walmart..probably not the best brand, but it works. It had the ASPCA logo on the front..I don't know if they have a brand of kennel or not.

She's been using the same one since she was 8 weeks old and she's 1.5 yrs old now. I just kept moving the divider in it as she grew. It's been really sturdy and everything and I've had no problems..and I think it was only $40, vs like $100.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I should have probably said this one folds down and came with carrying handles. It is super sturdy too because both of my dogs have been on top of it at the same time

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you,everyone, for your advice. I did not even think of going to Wallmart for a crate! I'm definitely going to check it out.
I like the idea of a fold down crate too...
thanks guys!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Sheila is right, MUCH cheaper at Walmart, I got Vegas's at Petsmart his crate is the same as everyone else has from all the pictures I have seen, they had the same one at Walmart $20.00 less. Our Craigslist has them on there all the time for around 25 bucks so check that out to.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
I got Chaos crate at walmart and paid 69.99. It is big enough to last him throughout his adult years. It is the ASPCA brand but did not come with a divider like they use too. That was sorta a bummer but we have improvised with blankets and a bed so he thinks its smaller. Them thinking it is smaller plays a HUGE role when potty training!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I got the 700 series recommended for beagles,cocker spaniels chow chows and cattle dogs... It has 2 doors and came with a divider. I didn't want to buy her a different crate every few weeks.

This is her in it now at almost 4 months old (I woke her up coming down the steps to take the pic...she's such a light sleeper)

059.jpg

Can you tell me the dimensions of this crate? the breeder told me to get a size Large but some of the dimensions i'm reading while looking online don't really give me an idea of just how big these are (for example):
36" L x 24" W x 27" H
42" L x 28" W x 31" H
48" L x 30" W x 33" H

thanks!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.