One of the first rescues that came into OTR after Sandy relocated to where we live now...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
in VA, was Luke. Some here might remember me mentioning him in a thread about drool and messy water bowl manners.
"Loogie Luke"was a mess for sure. His whole face went into the bowl and every time he finished drinking he'd shake off the excess. It would fly everywhere. That made a HUGE mess but brought us enough laughs(watching the drool/water fly about) that we didn't care. We just put lots of beach towels on the floor to sop up the slick.

When I first met Luke his owner agreed to meet us at our vet's office for evaluation and to begin treatment right away. His owner had lost her means of income and could no longer afford the meds that kept him marginally comfortable. Diagnosed with and being treated for BAD allergies, Luke's battle for healthy skin was a losing one. My wife told me that he would likely need some long term care and she thought, after seeing pics, that he probably had Demodectic mange. What I saw was way more than I expected.

Luke was cute, sweet, and just wanted someone to hug and love on him. I think he was 2 years old at the time. He had little hair and what was still hanging to him could easily be rubbed off. I dare not scratch his sticky swollen itchy gray skin because it would become irritated. He smelled awful, as yeasty as any dog I've ever smelled.

I'll not go into too much detail but it took every bit of 6 months of 2/week baths and many, many doses of well-tolerated Ivermectin to rid him of the mites. With proper treatment, the raging secondary yeast infection cleared up in about a month. During his 6-month stay with us his appetite & strength returned, his gray crusty skin was replaced with soft skin, and he got HAIR...lots of red HAIR!. He became a happy bully. In no time he found a new home and is now thriving. I loved that crazy bully and hated to see him go but we had to make room for another in need so off he went.

Demodectic mange can get really bad if not dealt with correctly, but even cases like Luke can be fixed with proper care and treatment. His was by far, the worst I've ever seen.

I'm posting this as a feel-good, happy ending story. The "before" video is not meant to shock. It's meant to show how bad Demodex can get and that it can be overcome.

Loogie Luke!

Luke on day 1...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This warms my heart. With the amount of horrible people out there its good to know the good ones still exist. Thank you for all you do for these rescue babies. Giving them a second chance at a real life, full of love and caring. I've been following SoCal's Kiki... makes me sick to my stomach, and this reminded me of her. Thank God for rescues, and good people like you - I applaud and commend you and Tyson sends lots of bully hugs, and kisses ;)

Luke looks like a big stud muffin!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:angelheart: I love it..... are you able to go see him?

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
... are you able to go see him?
I wish..he's about 150 miles away so a visit would have to be well-timed. A visit is not out of the question though and it may happen very soon. One good thing is that many of our placements and respective families meet up once or twice(or more) per year at various fund raising events, picnics, and planned get togethers. The largest of which is the Sea Witch Festival in Rehoboth Beach, DE. It is soooo much fun for the bullies and the "bully owned".

Brian Karn

May 6, 2016
Thanks for taking care of that big hunk of drool! Glad he rebounded and was lucky enough to find you guys.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
What a wonderful story! He's a beauty! Thank you for taking care oglf him so well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
What a heartwarming story. Thank you for taking such good care of him

Members online

No members online now.