The "STARE"

Kristopher T

Apr 5, 2016
Presidio Texas
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Rosie can be fast asleep on the couch, then someone pulls out a kitchen table chair she springs up and is half an inch away from you looking up at you with the STARE... If you try to ignore her she grunts, touches your leg with her nose, then brings on the tears.... What do I do??? She has her food and water but she wants what we are eating.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well KT what you describe as the "STARE" is probably what I would call the proverbial "Stink Eye." Especially if you are eating or doing anything else that she may like but is not included in the activity.

Politely tell Rosie "No" and if you want to give her something after dinner when the family is done....then give her a treat of some sort.

I am sure some others will chime in as well. But this is my two-cents worth.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ignore here or send her back to the other room.... once you give in to that 'beg' she will forever be at your feet/lap asking for your food.

:stinkeye: <---- is that the look?

OP
Kristopher T

Kristopher T

Apr 5, 2016
Presidio Texas
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
I see her face, looks so sad with the tears, I hear In The Arms of an Angel by Sarah Mclachlan in my head lol. I will try the make her wait and give her a treat after.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I see her face, looks so sad with the tears, I hear In The Arms of an Angel by Sarah Mclachlan in my head lol. I will try the make her wait and give her a treat after.

Oh I know what you mean. My Jewel pushes all my buttons but he will not mess with the wife. As a result, the wife refers to me as the weak sister. LOL. You just have to be firm and not the weak sister like me...well according to my better half.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Rosie can be fast asleep on the couch, then someone pulls out a kitchen table chair she springs up and is half an inch away from you looking up at you with the STARE... If you try to ignore her she grunts, touches your leg with her nose, then brings on the tears.... What do I do??? She has her food and water but she wants what we are eating.

Does she add the funny gremlin gurgles and whines? I hate those. We have it really bad here, because for the longest time Frith had to be held to be fed, and then help for 20 minutes afterwards.

I have a "special treat" rule--we share treats when I am in certain places like the back porch. I do not share in other places like the kitchen (she gets the command "out!" instead). So, she associates sharing with the spot and not the person. This has been proven by her attraction to that spot whenever anyone sits there (and the gremlin noises when they do not share).

OP
Kristopher T

Kristopher T

Apr 5, 2016
Presidio Texas
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
photo.JPG She does this, gremlin gurgles only come out if she is ignored lol.

Florasaurus

May 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluebelle
Haha. All of my Bulldogs have done this. My first was the most reasonable. She would only stare and hope. The puppy would jump and bark like crazy. My latest is kind of in between. She doesn't bark but she tries to get our food.

It's hard to say no to a bulldog :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I am glad to see that Rosie is a supervisor like Jewel and Bentley.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Doc Barry or Barry Bob.

May 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsa is 2 1/2. Note: Bruiser left us at almost 14; Boss at almost 13 and Biggie at 10 1/2
We have 2 males and one stares -stares at people, stares at objects and stares at dogs. When he stares at our other one and the other one doesn't turn away and instead locks eyes a fight will occur

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I always heard that a dog should not stare at you while you're eating, shows lack of respect. Because in the dog world, a dog staring at another specially with food, it would be a fight! I usually shhh Izzy when she starts staring... sometimes I am too focused on the TV and forget I have a bulldog staring at my food! So when I catch her I tell her no! and she walks away right away... loops around the couch and she is back in 10 seconds for round 2! I have to do this routine 5 times for her to finally back off and relax somewhere else.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.