Did anyone have the surgery and have it not work?

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Bristol had her palate and nares done almost a month ago and we haven't noticed a difference. She still pants constantly. We haven't noticed any difference. She caught aspiration pneumonia and spent a week in th O2 cage. She is still on meds and has a recheck Tuesday but I am frustrated that after thousands of $ and the scariest week ever we haven't seen improvement. I know she still has a hypoplastic trachea. So will she never be able to play with her sister or toys or go for little walks or do anything other then lay there with out going into distress. And she wants so desperately to play so I had to give her the anxiety med the vet prescribed so she would stay calm.
I just am sad for her and worried for us that it doesn't matter what we did she will always be at such a high risk. For those who had the surgery what changes did you see and after how long?

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We had "the surgery" done for Mabel shortly after we got her. Unfortunately, she has a narrow trachea like many bulldogs, and nothing can be done for that. The rings of cartilage cannot be expanded to make a difference. Did your vet say anything about a narrow trachea? Mabel was a little better right after we got it done, but she is still very limited in what she can do without coughing or panicking because she can't breathe. Or maybe it's me panicking--she's probably used to it. It think she is right back where she was before we had it done, but at 7+ years old, I wouldn't put her through surgery again.

Check with your vet. He or she should be able to tell you if what you are seeing in Bristol is what he'd expect after the surgery. He can give you an idea about the prognosis and what changes you might see. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

OP
Pennyblossom

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
The surgeon, the internist and her vet did all said she had a narrow trachea. After reading the post on here where the puppy had one the size of a drinking straw and wasn't expected to do well. I got frightened and I asked the surgeon the size said it doesn't matter what size just know that it is small but we can see it on X-rays and I have had Bulldogs where you can't even pick it up on X-rays they are so narrow. I was taken aback that she didn't want to give me an answer. My vet said it probably wasn't to alarm me but that it really wouldn't matter what size as there isn't anything they typically do for that.
She is not even 1 yet and I just feel like every day we have with her is such a gift as she has had so many medical issues. I hope she lives a long and happy life I just hope she is allowed to enjoy doing some puppy things.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
The surgeon, the internist and her vet did all said she had a narrow trachea. After reading the post on here where the puppy had one the size of a drinking straw and wasn't expected to do well. I got frightened and I asked the surgeon the size said it doesn't matter what size just know that it is small but we can see it on X-rays and I have had Bulldogs where you can't even pick it up on X-rays they are so narrow. I was taken aback that she didn't want to give me an answer. My vet said it probably wasn't to alarm me but that it really wouldn't matter what size as there isn't anything they typically do for that.
She is not even 1 yet and I just feel like every day we have with her is such a gift as she has had so many medical issues. I hope she lives a long and happy life I just hope she is allowed to enjoy doing some puppy things.

Mabel is a happy little bulldog who is between 7 and 9 years old. While she doesn't have the stamina or play drive that other dogs have because of her narrow trachea, she lives a pretty charmed life. You are right! She is definitely a gift!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We had the surgery done to one of ours and it helped him a lot. Sorry to hear about your baby. It just isn't fair that they can't play the way they should be able to. Give her a hug from us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had it done on Nitschke and he did well after but still had some issues with stamina he was 2 yrs old at the time. We also had to have it done twice for Cheli, our Frenchie, and he still has some issues with sleep apnea... nothing what it was but still happens.

Sending lots of positive thoughts that she continues to progress, but if she has to be limited, find her some great toys an bones to help her enjoy the 'down time' --- that worked great with Nitschke. he got to play for a short period... would nap and then we would sit on the floor with him and hold the bone or toy while he chewed.... gave the impression of play.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Bristol had her palate and nares done almost a month ago and we haven't noticed a difference. She still pants constantly. We haven't noticed any difference. She caught aspiration pneumonia and spent a week in th O2 cage. She is still on meds and has a recheck Tuesday but I am frustrated that after thousands of $ and the scariest week ever we haven't seen improvement. I know she still has a hypoplastic trachea. So will she never be able to play with her sister or toys or go for little walks or do anything other then lay there with out going into distress. And she wants so desperately to play so I had to give her the anxiety med the vet prescribed so she would stay calm.
I just am sad for her and worried for us that it doesn't matter what we did she will always be at such a high risk. For those who had the surgery what changes did you see and after how long?

I am sorry to hear that Bristol is still having issues. The fact that you are trying to increase the quality of life for your girl says a lot.

For Bentley, the verdict is still out because he just had the nares and soft palate surgery last Tuesday coupled with the TPLO surgery on his knee. Jewel just had her palate shortened and that change was essentially immediate as her snoring diminished quite a bit.

I would discuss this issue with your vet.

OP
Pennyblossom

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
She used to "snore" awake and that has gone away and when she does get worked up she seems to recuperate a little faster, but I timed it and just playing with her Bully sister for one minute made her breathe like she went for a long walk in the heat. What I am worried about is she loves to play and chew on toys and just a few minutes of play used to cause such labored breathing. She hasn't been cleared to have any toys back since the surgery and I just worry about when she gets them back how it will affect her breathing.
I know she will never be like our other Bully Penny. Penny is a rescue so I don't know anything about her lineage but she is huge-not in the broad way but in the tall and long way and she has a more pronounced snout with big ol nares. She almost never pants or gets winded. I absolutely think there is a relation to her size and her lack of breathing issues. She still has other EB issues like Skin and allergies and Eye issues.
She is the size of an OEB but her face is more English then OEB. All our vets just think she is a big healthy one who may have some OEB or American bulldog somewhere in her line but that they would just classify her as English.
Just like kids it is so hard not to compare them but they are night and day with their breathing.
We go for our follow up with the internist and the surgeon on Tuesday and then with our general vet for her 1 year check up the following Tuesday. Between the 3 doctors I hope to have more answers as well as more directions as to what she is allowed and not allowed to do.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Bristol had her palate and nares done almost a month ago and we haven't noticed a difference.

She used to "snore" awake and that has gone away and when she does get worked up she seems to recuperate a little faster...

It's been about "another" month since these two statements and it sounds like there has been "some" improvement. While not what you expected or had hoped for, the surgery was successful and will likely improve her quality of life overall...especially as she ages. Opening up the nares and reducing the soft palate did help but those improvements have simply moved the obstruction(traffic jam) to the trachea. As far as I know there is little that can be done from this point forward.
IMO, you have done all you can do to modify her breathing and she WILL benefit from it. That, and the knowledge and awareness that you have concerning her breathing assures her a long healthy life as long as you are diligent in managing her activity and exposure to heat. I'm confident that you will.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.