How many times do you have to call your bulldog before they come?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
One way without hesitation is I show her leash. All of a sudden she turns into Speedy Gonzales.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I am pretty sure Frith's name is actually "num-nums" because she doesn't come to any other word or phrase. She will look, but her feet do not move until the word "num-nums" is uttered. AND there better be a treat or some food involved at the end of her journey--even if it is two steps. Some days she actually has to have proof that you have her treat stick in your hand or a bowl of food ready.

OMG!!!!! I love it!!!!! :lmao::rofl: I guess Jersey's name is "Wanna cookie?"

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh, this thread made me feel so much better! I have seriously wondered whether Castor has developed selective hearing or just a streak of stubbornness this last year...now I realise this is pretty normal bulldog behaviour.

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The other day I took Bella out to do her thing, she is only 8 months old. She farted around but finally did both her deeds. While in the process my neighbor came out and we were talking. Upon us finishing I called for her to come back in. She stood at the foot of the stairs. The furthest she would come is up 1 step, out of 10, and sit there. Not moving one muscle. She sat there no matter what I did. I went in the house for 10 minutes and came back out, still sitting in the same spot. I tried bringing out her dinner bowl, nope. It wasn't till I got her leash that she would climb the stairs and back into the house. The rest of the evening was like that also. Just wanted to do what she wanted and nothing more. I was to serve her.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Oh, this thread made me feel so much better! I have seriously wondered whether Castor has developed selective hearing or just a streak of stubbornness this last year...now I realise this is pretty normal bulldog behaviour.

Definitely feel better. LOL

Bella, at 19 months, Does. Not. Listen. When. Her. Name. Is. Called. It's to the point now, that, when I go downstairs (for something quick), I don't want her to follow me because her favorite game is to wait for her third-times-a-charm calls of her name. She'll go downstairs, and then I'll have to call her three times, grab a toy or food, or carry her back up the stairs. She's 45 pounds!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Definitely feel better. LOL

Bella, at 19 months, Does. Not. Listen. When. Her. Name. Is. Called. It's to the point now, that, when I go downstairs (for something quick), I don't want her to follow me because her favorite game is to wait for her third-times-a-charm calls of her name. She'll go downstairs, and then I'll have to call her three times, grab a toy or food, or carry her back up the stairs. She's 45 pounds!

GOD I LOVE HER!!!!! :laugh:

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
The spoiled ones(our own) sometimes need an extra call or 2. But the rescues never get spoiled and when called they come running. It's because they don't get the attention the others get so ANY amount of attention is well-received.
i have to agree with oscarmayer... my rescue seems to love it when i call him and comes running and jumping like he is the happiest dog around.. i can't help from laughing and smiling.. sometimes i call him just to see his sweet face.. well, and because he's been to quiet and it makes me wonder what hes up too.. maybe if you change her name to belle treat.. that would work.. lol..

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
i have to agree with oscarmayer... my rescue seems to love it when i call him and comes running and jumping like he is the happiest dog around.. i can't help from laughing and smiling.. sometimes i call him just to see his sweet face.. well, and because he's been to quiet and it makes me wonder what hes up too.. maybe if you change her name to belle treat.. that would work.. lol..

LOL, like some of the previous posters, I might have to change her name to "Bella You Want Dinner??!" ("Dinner" for short). :D

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I'm relieved to hear that others have the same deal with their dogs that I have with Porkchop. I often feel like he doesn't like me unless there is food or a car ride. Then he's doing a happy dance. Otherwise, call his name and nothing. Not even the turn of the head.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.