I'm too attached to my Bulldogs. Just maybe.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Keith and I are headed to North Carolina for the weekend. Chapel Hill/Raleigh area specifically. Keith has an Australian Rules Football game and I went to UNC, so it will be a nice little trip.

As usual, we're taking the dogs with us! I can't wait to walk around campus with them!

However, for some reason whenever we stay in hotels with the dogs -- and it has always been fine, no issues -- I get paranoid that housekeeping is going to accidentally let them out or that someone will steal them.

I'm crazy, I know. Just venting. But am I totally unfounded? What do you guys think the odds are that a dog would get taken from a hotel room?

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Sounds fun! I would probably put up the do not disturb sign and they won't come in. Take it down when you leave with the dogs. Have a good time :)

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Keith and I are headed to North Carolina for the weekend. Chapel Hill/Raleigh area specifically. Keith has an Australian Rules Football game and I went to UNC, so it will be a nice little trip.

As usual, we're taking the dogs with us! I can't wait to walk around campus with them!

However, for some reason whenever we stay in hotels with the dogs -- and it has always been fine, no issues -- I get paranoid that housekeeping is going to accidentally let them out or that someone will steal them.

I'm crazy, I know. Just venting. But am I totally unfounded? What do you guys think the odds are that a dog would get taken from a hotel room?

I've thought the same thing and pictured the same scenario... Talk to the people at the front desk. If it's a pet friendly hotel... they've already heard it all! Ask to postpone maid service until you return. As for someone stealing them from the room... buy the biggest stainless steel dog food bowl you can find and "distress" it. You know, run it over with the car... punch some holes in it with a screwdriver... or if you're in a hurry, just bang the crap out of it with a hammer. Take a marker and write "KILLER" on the side and leave it outside your room. No one wants to mess with that!

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
[MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION] - Good Idea!!
[MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] - You are rightfully justified, I WOULD be the SAME way with Ellie, What are the rooms like when staying at a petfriendly Hotel?? - Sorry little nosy, and curious...

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] OMG Not unfounded AT ALL !!!! Joey has traveled with me since she was a baby and I ALWAYS put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door AND travel with one of my wireless cameras....WITH SD card on RECORD. So if you think you're paranoid........just saying :)

Edited to say HAVE A BLAST!!! Sounds like a perfect weekend!!!

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
[MENTION=15424]MFrey2012[/MENTION] - The "dog friendly" description of hotels can vary drastically and range from the hotel charges you per pet per stay and requires dogs to be crated at all times (accidentally booked on of those once and switched after the first night...) to having a bowl of treats at reception and special "four legged guest" magnets for your door so staff doesn't enter if you've left your dogs in the room.

I generally call the front desk before booking now and feel them out. They're normally pretty honest about how the hotel feels. I've found that the nicest, most dog friendly hotels we've stayed in don't charge fees unless there is some sort of damage or undue noise.

If you're going to a major city, Kimpton hotels allow any domesticated pet -- so cats, dogs, pot bellies pigs, iguanas, etc and are beyond friendly about it. If we're just on the road and have little choice, we've stayed at a dog friendly Res Roof Inn, but didn't leave the dogs alone in the room for a second.

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
[MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] OMG Not unfounded AT ALL !!!! Joey has traveled with me since she was a baby and I ALWAYS put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door AND travel with one of my wireless cameras....WITH SD card on RECORD. So if you think you're paranoid........just saying :)

Edited to say HAVE A BLAST!!! Sounds like a perfect weekend!!!

OMG I'm so glad to know I'm not the no my one who brings her own surveillance!!!!! I set up a camera when I leave always.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As for someone stealing them from the room... buy the biggest stainless steel dog food bowl you can find and "distress" it. You know, run it over with the car... punch some holes in it with a screwdriver... or if you're in a hurry, just bang the crap out of it with a hammer. Take a marker and write "KILLER" on the side and leave it outside your room. No one wants to mess with that!

:rofl: :rofl: FANTASTIC!!! :rofl:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Get a sign that says 'dog bites", and put the do not disturb sign up,too.Have fun,Enjoy!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Unfortunately you do hear of it happening. I think you have been given excellent advice but if you have crates for them, can you take those too, just as an extra precaution? Once when travelling from NC to Florida, we stopped at Animal Kingdom on the way and instead of leaving our dog in the hotel, booked her into a kennel for the day. We enjoyed the day without me being a nervous wreck!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.