penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Ugh, just came for a little vent. We've had Betty for just over 3 months now and she always seems to be having one issue or another, the poor girl. She had a bad patch of dermatitis when we first got her, got her on a course of antibiotics and steroid cream. That cleared up than she started getting bald patches and we went back to the vets and she got put on a course of Apoquel, medicated shampoo, and antibiotics again.

We have her on grain free food (we're currently trying to find the best protein source for her, we've tried whitefish and now are trying turkey). She gets greek yoghurt, salmon oil and coconut oil. We wipe her paws down after she goes outside. She started getting little bumps on her skin after the 2nd round of antibiotics again. I am pretty sure she has environmental allergies. She's been wanting to lay outside now that the weather is nice in the garden and that seemed to set off the bumps.

I read online about povidine iodine and we started wiping her down with that after she's been outside and that's cleared up her skin really well. She used to get really smelly after about a week and now with the iodine, she doesn't smell anymore and no more bumps so that's been good.

So thought we finally had things under control, but this morning I found what looks to be an interdigital cyst between her toes :( Soaked her foot in epsom salts and going to do it again tonight before we bring her back into the vets next week.

I just wish she could stay healthy for more than a few weeks! I know everyone has health issues with their dogs reading this forum and I know we are very lucky it's not been anything very serious so far. I just feel bad for my poor girl :(

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hi Mandy! So sorry that sweet Betty is once again having an issue, I know it must be so frustrating! I'm not experienced enough to give any advice BUT I've read all your posts about Betty, I love her and always think to myself "thank God Betty has now such wonderful, loving parents" It's evident in your photos posted, your words, etc.

She's had top notch care since becoming your girl, that's been 3 months or so. Maybe she just needs a bit longer, consistent care before becoming issue free. Just my heart's thought. Hang in there, vent as often as you need. You've got friends here that will always listen. Peace friend!

OP
penguinspam

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Hi Mandy! So sorry that sweet Betty is once again having an issue, I know it must be so frustrating! I'm not experienced enough to give any advice BUT I've read all your posts about Betty, I love her and always think to myself "thank God Betty has now such wonderful, loving parents" It's evident in your photos posted, your words, etc.

She's had top notch care since becoming your girl, that's been 3 months or so. Maybe she just needs a bit longer, consistent care before becoming issue free. Just my heart's thought. Hang in there, vent as often as you need. You've got friends here that will always listen. Peace friend!

Thank you [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION]! My husband thinks she's still adjusting as well, 3 months isn't very long, but it seems like she's been with us forever. It is just a bit disheartening when we think we've got her healthy and well and then something else crops up. This forum has been such a great resource and I really do appreciate everyone here who has helped us out!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO sorry you are going thru this again w/your girl… I think that it may be time to have her go thru allergy testing. Figure out what her triggers are and then go from there…

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, it can take awhile to resolve issues especially allergy related.

I'm thinking tho, turkey may have set off the food issues again
since the toe cyst started afterwards. Some bullies are sensitive
to poultry of any kind. Have you tried beef, venison or bison?

Betty sure is blessed to have y'all as her pawrents, thank you for
rescuing her! Continued prayers for issues to clear up, hang in there ;)

OP
penguinspam

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Yes, it can take awhile to resolve issues especially allergy related.

I'm thinking tho, turkey may have set off the food issues again
since the toe cyst started afterwards. Some bullies are sensitive
to poultry of any kind. Have you tried beef, venison or bison?

Betty sure is blessed to have y'all as her pawrents, thank you for
rescuing her! Continued prayers for issues to clear up, hang in there ;)

Thanks [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] Haven't tried any of those proteins yet, we've literally just fully switched her on the turkey. We've been feeding her Wainwrights grain-free, I think they have lamb, turkey, whitefish and duck varieties so might need to look for a different brand? When we first got her she was on salmon and rice (not grain free), that seemed to make her tear stains quite bad. She wasn't doing badly on the whitefish, but was still itching, but that may not have been food related.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Interdigital cysts are hard to figure out. We've seen them more on larger fat-footed bullies. You might also try Preparation H to help with the inflammation.

Our first rescue, Hoss, had cysts come and go most all his life. They pop up and then they slowly go away. It was rare that they became infected to the point of needing any antibiotics.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Mandy, I'm so sorry you're going through so many issues with Betty, and I know myself how frustrating it is to have a Bully with various health, allergy and skin issues. You have received lots of great advice and suggestions above, and I agree with Sisters3 and Carol, that it could be that she's in an adjustment period from a new home and food. I also agree with Texas Carol that many bullies are sensitive or allergic to chicken and other poultry like turkey or duck, and they can also have issues with salmon and sometimes beef. I have a male EB named Bulldozer and he had allergic reactions to chicken, salmon, beef, at first. He didn't tolerate chicken from day one, so I switched him to Fromms Beef Frittata, which he did well on for about two years, then he developed allergy symptoms again. He locked his paws excessively tot he point that they changed colour, became soggy and puffy, his eyes were constantly goopy, he scratched his chest raw, and his ears were yeasty. I tried him on Fromms salmon, but had the same symptoms, so I switched to Fromms Lamb and Lentil, which he did well on for about 9 months, and then the symptoms came back. At this point I switched him to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble, my idea was to detoxify him from all proteins and then try one of the "Novel" proteins which are proteins that are not common or that they've likely never had before such as rabbit and kangaroo. Rabbit was the worst, and I didn't see any improvements with the kangaroo, and his poop was black, and very smelly and the food itself smelled horrible, so I stopped it. I went back to the Vegan kibble and added non-animal proteins like scrambled eggs, kidney beans, lentils, and cottage cheese. He does really well with this food, so I feed him this way for two weeks, and then the other two weeks I feed him the Go Sensitivity and Shine Venison Kibble. I'm hoping by switching back and forth, he won't become sensitive or develop an allergy to the Venison, because he's doing really well on this protein. He doesn't lick anymore, his hair has grown back on his chest, and his eyes have also cleared up. It can be a really frustrating process to find out what they tolerate and it's mostly eliminating all things like treats, supplements and foods, and then it's trial and error and slowly re-introducing things back one at a time and for a week before re-introducing the next treat or supplement to see which one causes a reaction, that way you will know exactly which one she doesn't tolerate. You are giving her really good supplements, I also give my guys yogurt, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and kelp, all which help to boost the immune system, which helps with allergies. I hope you find a food that Betty tolerates and she gets better. Good Luck.

OP
penguinspam

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Interdigital cysts are hard to figure out. We've seen them more on larger fat-footed bullies. You might also try Preparation H to help with the inflammation.

Our first rescue, Hoss, had cysts come and go most all his life. They pop up and then they slowly go away. It was rare that they became infected to the point of needing any antibiotics.

I might keep treating her with the epsom salts a few days to see if it does clear up on its own before we go back to the vet. I really don't want her on antibiotics continuously. She's not limping and hasn't been trying to lick it.

OP
penguinspam

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Thanks [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] The povidine iodine has really helped with her skin, she used to smell really bad just a week after we washed her, I don't know if she had yeasty skin or what, but we were having to bathe her about once every 2 weeks just because she got so smelly. Her ears used to be quite bad as well, but they cleared up when we switched her onto the grain free food. It is really trial and error. I'm glad Bulldozer is getting better!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Mandy, you are a GREAT MOM. Sometimes things just happen to our Bully's Babies, we Love them so much and we want to make them well no matter what it takes. I will Pray for Precious Betty, and I know she will over come all of her problems she is having. Give Betty a Big Kiss from me and Elmo

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mandy, you live in Poole which means you're near the coast. Just a thought.....I would walk Miss Betty in the salty waters so her paws gets a good salty soak. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor girl..... environmental allergies are a real beeeotch! Lambeau is suffering so much, I feel horrible for him, but all I can do is wipe him and give Benedryl. he is allergic to may weeds, pine trees and dandelions so he is a mess right now.... hoping he will level off after spring.

Good luck and I hope she is feeling better soon

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Mandy, you live in Poole which means you're near the coast. Just a thought.....I would walk Miss Betty in the salty waters so her paws gets a good salty soak. :)

Wow! Excellent idea [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]!! Certainly worth a try... and fun!:yes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.