Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Ugh, just came for a little vent. We've had Betty for just over 3 months now and she always seems to be having one issue or another, the poor girl. She had a bad patch of dermatitis when we first got her, got her on a course of antibiotics and steroid cream. That cleared up than she started getting bald patches and we went back to the vets and she got put on a course of Apoquel, medicated shampoo, and antibiotics again.

We have her on grain free food (we're currently trying to find the best protein source for her, we've tried whitefish and now are trying turkey). She gets greek yoghurt, salmon oil and coconut oil. We wipe her paws down after she goes outside. She started getting little bumps on her skin after the 2nd round of antibiotics again. I am pretty sure she has environmental allergies. She's been wanting to lay outside now that the weather is nice in the garden and that seemed to set off the bumps.

I read online about povidine iodine and we started wiping her down with that after she's been outside and that's cleared up her skin really well. She used to get really smelly after about a week and now with the iodine, she doesn't smell anymore and no more bumps so that's been good.

So thought we finally had things under control, but this morning I found what looks to be an interdigital cyst between her toes :( Soaked her foot in epsom salts and going to do it again tonight before we bring her back into the vets next week.

I just wish she could stay healthy for more than a few weeks! I know everyone has health issues with their dogs reading this forum and I know we are very lucky it's not been anything very serious so far. I just feel bad for my poor girl :(

Oh Mandy! I feel for you and sweet Betty! I know what you're going through, in fact, Jersey has all the same health issues you describe. She is almost 5 years old and it seems like just as she starts to recover from one problem another one raises its ugly head! She's a wonderful girl and I love her to pieces, but I feel so bad for her and sometimes even guilty as if there's something more I should be doing. Just take it one day at a time and try to stay positive. Know that you're her special angel as she is yours and there's a reason you're together. I know if she could speak she would tell you how lucky she feels to be with you and how sorry she is for making you worry. When Jersey is sick or not feeling well, I hold her on my lap, we look into each others eyes and quietly comfort one another. There's nothing like those moments. There's nothing like a bulldog.

OP
penguinspam

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Mandy, you live in Poole which means you're near the coast. Just a thought.....I would walk Miss Betty in the salty waters so her paws gets a good salty soak. :)

Good idea :D We were just at the beach on Friday, she was more interested in snuffling in the sand for dropped food than going in the water! Will have to give it a try again, she does love the beach, but tonight it's a salty soak in the bathtub, haha!

OP
penguinspam

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
And thank you everyone for all the support! I really appreciate, am feeling a bit better. These guys like to give us so much trouble, but it's so worth it!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Good idea :D We were just at the beach on Friday, she was more interested in snuffling in the sand for dropped food than going in the water! Will have to give it a try again, she does love the beach, but tonight it's a salty soak in the bathtub, haha!

I knew this Italian family which I went to school with her son. He had everything under the sun. Allergies, skin issues, ears eyes nose etc. Old Dr from Italy told her to bring her son to the ocean 2 weeks a year. Living in Canada in Montreal the ocean is either west or north or east. So she would go on vacation to wildwood in usa. After a couple years I swaer all was disappering as issues. Breathing sea water will open your airways no matter what. Never a dry nose either. When I was living in Montreal or moved to British Columbia for work I swear never had breathing issues. Come to Alberta, its so damm dry not funny, nails break, hair dry, blahhhh I go on vacation back home for a weekish beautiful nails, hair and feel great. Go figure. Lolll so yes for Miss Betty, bring her to the ocean. :)

Members online

No members online now.