Color / DNA of English Bulldog

Mattfowler2011

May 8, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
I am curious what the correct color of my bulldog is. My AKC documents and paperwork says that he is fawn with white markings. He may have had lighter fur as a puppy, however, he seems like he has some sort of brindle because his fur is kind of darker? What is he considered, and also, if possible, could someone explain the color genes that bulldogs carry and what genes this bulldog would technically have?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Resized Buster1.jpg
    Resized Buster1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 417
  • Resized Buster2.jpg
    Resized Buster2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Resized Buster3.jpg
    Resized Buster3.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 433

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will tag knowledgeable members for the genes.... In my opinion your baby is not fawn at all and looks reddish brown
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
To me he looks like chocolate tri, which is not a correct bulldog colour, at least not in most european countrys. Cute though.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree, I believe his color is chocolate which is not recognized by Akc so they instead chose the color fawn.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
He looks like a chocolate Tri to me too which as they said isn't recognized by AKC but if you aren't going to show him then it doesn't really matter. There is a site that does color testing for not too much if you really want to know what he carries. They do health testing too.

OP
M

Mattfowler2011

May 8, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
To me he looks like chocolate tri, which is not a correct bulldog colour, at least not in most european countrys. Cute though.

I know that his color isn't completely chocolate. He does not have that deep of a brown like other chocolate tri bulldogs do. I will try to post a better picture of his top coat because it looks more brindle to me.

OP
M

Mattfowler2011

May 8, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Here is a picture of his back which lets you see his coat better. I apologize for the peeing picture, but it was one where he could actually stay still for a few seconds. I also am attaching a typical chocolate tri bulldog photo which I believe he does not look like. [MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]i [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Buster Back Picture.jpgdark chocolate tri bulldog.jpg

I think he is some sort of brindle, but I am just looking for the specific color in which to call him.

Thanks everyone!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Brindles have stripes and they too come in various colours, maybe he's milk chocolate.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He still looks chocolate or also there is other "colors" like violet and copper. However with the dark tips on your fur it does look like fawn undercoat with dark tips. Do you have a puppy photo?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] He looks like a darker fawn,looks like chocolate markings on his face.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Definitely looks more like a tri - curly has a tri ear and tail. Brindles are striped while tri's fade one color to another. Curly's ears and tail fade from red to black. I have a Boston terrier mix who is Brindle. Pic of the difference below

Curly's tail:

904ebb4741a5072b6c6778adadf1af59.jpg

Curly's ear (excuse the tear stains! Old pic - we finally have them under control)
95a0a2ebe3e637cff9ce8d9b3445365d.jpg

My Brindle Boston terrier:

3f49b598ff293871bf929536f98e1675.jpg

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
In some pics he looks a shade of blue, it's hard to tell what he would carry without DNA testing.

OP
M

Mattfowler2011

May 8, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
The only thing that I have is a video of when he was young. It's not letting me attach the video. I guess he just has some chocolate along with his fawn so he can't truly be recognized by the AKC for his colors. I was hardly familiar with bulldogs when I got him, and I just always assumed he was fawn. Only recently when I have researched them more when I have thought about possibly studding have I found out that his coat is darker than fawn but lighter than chocolate. I guess they just registered him as fawn with AKC like you said earlier. Should I try to avoid breeding because he's not the traditional colors? Mostly I am just trying to learn the most about the breed as possible.

How much is DNA testing, and does it tell you every color that the bulldog carries? I've not heard much about that.

Thanks everybody for your comments & help by the way.
[MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

- - - Updated - - -

I love his markings. Great looking bully

Thank you very much [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION]! That's why I decided to buy him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.