Color / DNA of English Bulldog

MacAttack

Sep 17, 2012
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear, Mac (2/12 - 5/16) & Louis (french)
He's handsome!

Here is a picture of his back which lets you see his coat better. I apologize for the peeing picture, but it was one where he could actually stay still for a few seconds. I also am attaching a typical chocolate tri bulldog photo which I believe he does not look like. @Biscuitsmom @RiiSii @bullmama @2BullyMama View attachment 98270View attachment 98271

I think he is some sort of brindle, but I am just looking for the specific color in which to call him.

Thanks everyone!

MacAttack

Sep 17, 2012
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear, Mac (2/12 - 5/16) & Louis (french)
He looks like a chocolate Tri to me too which as they said isn't recognized by AKC but if you aren't going to show him then it doesn't really matter. There is a site that does color testing for not too much if you really want to know what he carries. They do health testing too.

Biscuitsmom, do you know the site for health testing? I tried googling with no success. We might get another EB puppy (we sadly just lost our 4-year old), but definitely want to make sure it's healthy more than anything. Thanks!

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Biscuitsmom, do you know the site for health testing? I tried googling with no success. We might get another EB puppy (we sadly just lost our 4-year old), but definitely want to make sure it's healthy more than anything. Thanks!

Sure here is the website. Animal Genetics | Genetic Testing Services They have a specific test for English Bulldogs plus others you can do but this just screens for certain traits not specific hips, heart, legs, etc. That I think you must do at your vet under sedation. http://www.bulldogclubofamerica.org/pdf/bca_health_screening_tri-fold17012014161538.pdf

I'm so sorry about your pup : (. I think the best bet is to make sure the parents are very healthy and have been tested. Good luck!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry for your loss. I just recently lost my first bulldog and he was only 5 years old.
You want to look for a breeder who has tested their dogs and bitches at least on hips, elbows, back, knees, heart, trachea and HUU. HUU is the only one that needs to be tested via DNA testing. For some reason people who are going on about colour testing don't seem to be so interested on other tests. If you look at the web sites of those breeders all they talk about is the DNA test they have done to know what colour they carry...

I recently joined that group on FB and got booted out cause I made a comment about the breed standard and that these colours are not in it.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
He looks like a chocolate tri, you can also tell from the brown nose, and in my opinion should not be breed. He is a handsome boy, but should just be a loved pet. People who breed for color are not reputable breeders and are breeding only for the money because they know they can get more money from them because they are the "IN" color and the consumer is uneducated and does not know they are getting a "mix" breed and some come with health problems. Merle is associated with deafness and eye problems. Other breeds have found out that dilutes, (lilacs, lavenders, blues) may be associated with autoimmune issues, skin issues, and food allergies. I am a member of the BCA and we are voting on making these colors a disqualification color with AKC in the conformation ring. I know this does not apply to your bully, but black is a dominate color and should not be bred, as it will eventually take over the color of our bullies. What is ruining our beloved breed is these unethical breeders who insist on breeding for color because they want to make a quick buck, and have no regard for the future of the breed. I used to have a chart showing the gene pool of colors, but can't find it at the moment.

:goodpost:

KandO mom

May 18, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koko Blu
Honestly he looks like a sable tri.. look into it. I also have an English Bulldog.. we got him as a Blue.. but he in the light has a shade of brownish at times other times looks super gray.. eyes are gray, used to be really really blue, and has a few spots on coat.. what is the most recommended dna test for color genes?

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Here is a picture of his back which lets you see his coat better. I apologize for the peeing picture, but it was one where he could actually stay still for a few seconds. I also am attaching a typical chocolate tri bulldog photo which I believe he does not look like. [MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]i [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] View attachment 98270View attachment 98271

I think he is some sort of brindle, but I am just looking for the specific color in which to call him.

Thanks everyone!
I really can't believe how much they look alike! I would swear your pup was my Bella! Lol
Her color has changed a lot and still looks differently in different lighting. Some say she is a sable tri and when she was younger heard lilac tri. I tried to post pics so you could see her little spot in top of her head and her coloring.
How old is yours? Bella is 6 months old.

No matter what color she is or if it recognized by anyone! I wouldn't change I thing. We love her to pieces!!

Attachments

• IMG_5707.JPG
    IMG_5707.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5323.JPG
    IMG_5323.JPG
    814.9 KB · Views: 52

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I know everyone has their opinions on colours. But you cant put honest breeders in the same boat as bad breeders. Ive seen great breeders that had different colours of pups cause of dna. Example, I had a black tan doberman. Got her as a pup. Her paperwork, all parents, grandparents etc were black n tan. She did get breed n had one blue pup. Breeder kept the little blue one as it just made sense. Was a ckc and she eventually breed her with a red dobby. Sometimes nature kicks in the right way and sometimes you get like mentioned just for the buck. But before pointing fingers in MY opinion, it starts with ALL the clubs that supports new breeds, new colours if it SUITES them! Well next thing you know bad breeders kicks in for what's in demand. Colours will happen...but new breeds? Now that's scary.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.