Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think it's excellent that you are researching. Bloodlines are very important. Are you still in contact with his breeder? Knowing if his siblings are all healthy and none have any health issues is very important. Your boy is gorgeous. I will send you a pm with some reading you can do to further your research- mainly because "studding" really isn't all it's cracked up to be, and is something you really have to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mattfowler2011

May 8, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
I think it's excellent that you are researching. Bloodlines are very important. Are you still in contact with his breeder? Knowing if his siblings are all healthy and none have any health issues is very important. Your boy is gorgeous. I will send you a pm with some reading you can do to further your research- mainly because "studding" really isn't all it's cracked up to be, and is something you really have to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] I think that he is completely gorgeous and I honestly have not seen another bulldog with colors exactly the same as him. I am curious how he'll look once he gets older and fills out more because he's 10 months old and they take a bit to fill out all the way. I can order the family tree from AKC and I still have the breeder's contact information. Studding and potentially breeding myself with another bulldog is something I have thought about in the future, but he is always going to be a well treated pet first. I wanted to figure more about his colors and information about breeding before even venturing further into it. Since I have found out that he does not have the traditional bulldog colors, I did not even know if it would be worth it to make those considerations or not. Like I said, though, I would like to at least learn about this stuff and I know that Google has a wide array of information that may or may not be accurate.

Thanks.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
The only thing that I have is a video of when he was young. It's not letting me attach the video. I guess he just has some chocolate along with his fawn so he can't truly be recognized by the AKC for his colors. I was hardly familiar with bulldogs when I got him, and I just always assumed he was fawn. Only recently when I have researched them more when I have thought about possibly studding have I found out that his coat is darker than fawn but lighter than chocolate. I guess they just registered him as fawn with AKC like you said earlier. Should I try to avoid breeding because he's not the traditional colors? Mostly I am just trying to learn the most about the breed as possible.

How much is DNA testing, and does it tell you every color that the bulldog carries? I've not heard much about that.

Thanks everybody for your comments & help by the way.

[MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION]! That's why I decided to buy him.

My girl is traditional fawn and white but as far as breeding colored EBd are "in" right now. I'm part of a breeding group on Facebook and tris are a the rage BUT breeding is much more than colors it's health and bloodlines which he should be tested for if you want to stud him. When I get on my computer I'll link you the group ☺ He is beautiful!

OP
M

Mattfowler2011

May 8, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
My girl is traditional fawn and white but as far as breeding colored EBd are "in" right now. I'm part of a breeding group on Facebook and tris are a the rage BUT breeding is much more than colors it's health and bloodlines which he should be tested for if you want to stud him. When I get on my computer I'll link you the group ☺ He is beautiful!

Thank you [MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION]. I've already made a commitment to not breed him if he's not healthy with bad hip dysplasia, etc. I'm not sure what EBd is.

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
20160202_172513.jpg
His markings looks like my guy. So he would be chocolate trip

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Thank you [MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION]. I've already made a commitment to not breed him if he's not healthy with bad hip dysplasia, etc. I'm not sure what EBd is.

Sorry english bulldogs, I abbreviate way too much! Everyone these days are into colors, tris, black, chocolates and blues but the AKC doesn't recognize these colors for the show ring. To get him registered they had to put the closest color at that time because only certain ones are listed.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
English bulldogs come in many colours and black is in the breed. Black is very dominant colour and if they were regognised and used a lot, soon enough most of our bullies would be black. Chocolate, lilac, merle and others that are so called "rare" are not from bulldog. So at some point they have brought it in the breed from some other breed.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Everyone these days are into colors, tris, black, chocolates and blues but the AKC doesn't recognize these colors for the show ring.
As stated these colors are not currently recognized by the AKC. To the best of my knowledge the members of the BCA are currently voting to disallow these colors from the AKC registry.
He's not fawn and he's not brindle. The only way for a "designer" color like this to get AKC registered is for the owner of the dam to misreport the color as, apparently, has happened here. The AKC registry relies on honest reporting and we've seen many misrepresentations over the years.
That being said, his colors are as cool as they come. I like very much...a very handsome boy you have there.

OP
M

Mattfowler2011

May 8, 2016
TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
As stated these colors are not currently recognized by the AKC. To the best of my knowledge the members of the BCA are currently voting to disallow these colors from the AKC registry.
He's not fawn and he's not brindle. The only way for a "designer" color like this to get AKC registered is for the owner of the dam to misreport the color as, apparently, has happened here. The AKC registry relies on honest reporting and we've seen many misrepresentations over the years.
That being said, his colors are as cool as they come. I like very much...a very handsome boy you have there.

Thank you [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]. I think he's very handsome as well. And that is what I have came to a conclusion about it now. When I bought him, I did not know much about colorings and just assumed the fawn they told me was correct. Either way, his colors does not make him any less of my pet! I just had gotten to a point where I figured out what fawn was, and then wasn't sure what he was. I know he's some sort of chocolate tri now carrying quite a few different colors that aren't traditional.

Thanks for your help and support!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the facebook group about breeding, most people in this group have been going it for years and lots of colored bullies like yours. I would post your questions about him here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/226996627689694/

Thank you [MENTION=15628]Biscuitsmom[/MENTION]. I am joining the group.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Probably not a brindle, but a very beautiful bulldog! Lovely face!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He looks like a chocolate tri, you can also tell from the brown nose, and in my opinion should not be bred. He is a handsome boy, but should just be a loved pet. People who breed for color are not reputable breeders and are breeding only for the money because they know they can get more money from them because they are the "IN" color and the consumer is uneducated and does not know they are getting a "mix" breed and some come with health problems. Merle is associated with deafness and eye problems. Other breeds have found out that dilutes, (lilacs, lavenders, blues) may be associated with autoimmune issues, skin issues, and food allergies. I am a member of the BCA and we are voting on making these colors a disqualification color with AKC in the conformation ring. I know this does not apply to your bully, but black is a dominate color and should not be bred, as it will eventually take over the color of our bullies. What is ruining our beloved breed is these unethical breeders who insist on breeding for color because they want to make a quick buck, and have no regard for the future of the breed. I used to have a chart showing the gene pool of colors, but can't find it at the moment.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
He looks like a chocolate tri, you can also tell from the brown nose, and in my opinion should not be breed. He is a handsome boy, but should just be a loved pet. People who breed for color are not reputable breeders and are breeding only for the money because they know they can get more money from them because they are the "IN" color and the consumer is uneducated and does not know they are getting a "mix" breed and some come with health problems. Merle is associated with deafness and eye problems. Other breeds have found out that dilutes, (lilacs, lavenders, blues) may be associated with autoimmune issues, skin issues, and food allergies. I am a member of the BCA and we are voting on making these colors a disqualification color with AKC in the conformation ring. I know this does not apply to your bully, but black is a dominate color and should not be bred, as it will eventually take over the color of our bullies. What is ruining our beloved breed is these unethical breeders who insist on breeding for color because they want to make a quick buck, and have no regard for the future of the breed. I used to have a chart showing the gene pool of colors, but can't find it at the moment.
Very educational and informative information [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], thank you.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
He looks like a chocolate tri, you can also tell from the brown nose, and in my opinion should not be breed. He is a handsome boy, but should just be a loved pet. People who breed for color are not reputable breeders and are breeding only for the money because they know they can get more money from them because they are the "IN" color and the consumer is uneducated and does not know they are getting a "mix" breed and some come with health problems. Merle is associated with deafness and eye problems. Other breeds have found out that dilutes, (lilacs, lavenders, blues) may be associated with autoimmune issues, skin issues, and food allergies. I am a member of the BCA and we are voting on making these colors a disqualification color with AKC in the conformation ring. I know this does not apply to your bully, but black is a dominate color and should not be bred, as it will eventually take over the color of our bullies. What is ruining our beloved breed is these unethical breeders who insist on breeding for color because they want to make a quick buck, and have no regard for the future of the breed. I used to have a chart showing the gene pool of colors, but can't find it at the moment.

We have seen this happen in so many different breeds. I have a friend who had to have a white boxer--until she realized that most of them suffered from congenital deafness. I agree that these "designer" colors should not be bred.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.