Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

Here is the facebook group about breeding, most people in this group have been going it for years and lots of colored bullies like yours. I would post your questions about him here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/226996627689694/

Real Name
    Matt Fowler
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    As stated these colors are not currently recognized by the AKC. To the best of my knowledge the members of the BCA are currently voting to disallow these colors from the AKC registry.
    He's not fawn and he's not brindle. The only way for a "designer" color like this to get AKC registered is for the owner of the dam to misreport the color as, apparently, has happened here. The AKC registry relies on honest reporting and we've seen many misrepresentations over the years.
    That being said, his colors are as cool as they come. I like very much...a very handsome boy you have there.
    Thank you @oscarmayer. I think he's very handsome as well. And that is what I have came to a conclusion about it now. When I bought him, I did not know much about colorings and just assumed the fawn they told me was correct. Either way, his colors does not make him any less of my pet! I just had gotten to a point where I figured out what fawn was, and then wasn't sure what he was. I know he's some sort of chocolate tri now carrying quite a few different colors that aren't traditional.

Thanks for your help and support!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitsmom View Post
    Here is the facebook group about breeding, most people in this group have been going it for years and lots of colored bullies like yours. I would post your questions about him here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/226996627689694/
    Thank you @Biscuitsmom. I am joining the group.

3. Likes 2BullyMama, MacAttack liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Probably not a brindle, but a very beautiful bulldog! Lovely face!

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

He looks like a chocolate tri, you can also tell from the brown nose, and in my opinion should not be bred. He is a handsome boy, but should just be a loved pet. People who breed for color are not reputable breeders and are breeding only for the money because they know they can get more money from them because they are the "IN" color and the consumer is uneducated and does not know they are getting a "mix" breed and some come with health problems. Merle is associated with deafness and eye problems. Other breeds have found out that dilutes, (lilacs, lavenders, blues) may be associated with autoimmune issues, skin issues, and food allergies. I am a member of the BCA and we are voting on making these colors a disqualification color with AKC in the conformation ring. I know this does not apply to your bully, but black is a dominate color and should not be bred, as it will eventually take over the color of our bullies. What is ruining our beloved breed is these unethical breeders who insist on breeding for color because they want to make a quick buck, and have no regard for the future of the breed. I used to have a chart showing the gene pool of colors, but can't find it at the moment.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    He looks like a chocolate tri, you can also tell from the brown nose, and in my opinion should not be breed. He is a handsome boy, but should just be a loved pet. People who breed for color are not reputable breeders and are breeding only for the money because they know they can get more money from them because they are the "IN" color and the consumer is uneducated and does not know they are getting a "mix" breed and some come with health problems. Merle is associated with deafness and eye problems. Other breeds have found out that dilutes, (lilacs, lavenders, blues) may be associated with autoimmune issues, skin issues, and food allergies. I am a member of the BCA and we are voting on making these colors a disqualification color with AKC in the conformation ring. I know this does not apply to your bully, but black is a dominate color and should not be bred, as it will eventually take over the color of our bullies. What is ruining our beloved breed is these unethical breeders who insist on breeding for color because they want to make a quick buck, and have no regard for the future of the breed. I used to have a chart showing the gene pool of colors, but can't find it at the moment.
    Very educational and informative information @Davidh, thank you.
    My smooshy face boy!

7. Likes Davidh, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

He looks like a chocolate tri, you can also tell from the brown nose, and in my opinion should not be breed. He is a handsome boy, but should just be a loved pet. People who breed for color are not reputable breeders and are breeding only for the money because they know they can get more money from them because they are the "IN" color and the consumer is uneducated and does not know they are getting a "mix" breed and some come with health problems. Merle is associated with deafness and eye problems. Other breeds have found out that dilutes, (lilacs, lavenders, blues) may be associated with autoimmune issues, skin issues, and food allergies. I am a member of the BCA and we are voting on making these colors a disqualification color with AKC in the conformation ring. I know this does not apply to your bully, but black is a dominate color and should not be bred, as it will eventually take over the color of our bullies. What is ruining our beloved breed is these unethical breeders who insist on breeding for color because they want to make a quick buck, and have no regard for the future of the breed. I used to have a chart showing the gene pool of colors, but can't find it at the moment.
    We have seen this happen in so many different breeds. I have a friend who had to have a white boxer--until she realized that most of them suffered from congenital deafness. I agree that these "designer" colors should not be bred.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

9. Likes RiiSi, 2BullyMama, Davidh liked this post
    Real Name
    Teresa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear, Mac (2/12 - 5/16) & Louis (french)
    Likes (Received)

He's handsome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattfowler2011 View Post
    Here is a picture of his back which lets you see his coat better. I apologize for the peeing picture, but it was one where he could actually stay still for a few seconds. I also am attaching a typical chocolate tri bulldog photo which I believe he does not look like. @Biscuitsmom @RiiSii @bullmama @2BullyMama Attachment 98270Attachment 98271

I think he is some sort of brindle, but I am just looking for the specific color in which to call him.

Thanks everyone!

Real Name
    Teresa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear, Mac (2/12 - 5/16) & Louis (french)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitsmom View Post
    He looks like a chocolate Tri to me too which as they said isn't recognized by AKC but if you aren't going to show him then it doesn't really matter. There is a site that does color testing for not too much if you really want to know what he carries. They do health testing too.
    Biscuitsmom, do you know the site for health testing? I tried googling with no success. We might get another EB puppy (we sadly just lost our 4-year old), but definitely want to make sure it's healthy more than anything. Thanks!

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
    Biscuitsmom, do you know the site for health testing? I tried googling with no success. We might get another EB puppy (we sadly just lost our 4-year old), but definitely want to make sure it's healthy more than anything. Thanks!
    Sure here is the website. Animal Genetics | Genetic Testing Services They have a specific test for English Bulldogs plus others you can do but this just screens for certain traits not specific hips, heart, legs, etc. That I think you must do at your vet under sedation. http://www.bulldogclubofamerica.org/...2014161538.pdf

I'm so sorry about your pup : (. I think the best bet is to make sure the parents are very healthy and have been tested. Good luck!

14. Likes MacAttack liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry for your loss. I just recently lost my first bulldog and he was only 5 years old.
    You want to look for a breeder who has tested their dogs and bitches at least on hips, elbows, back, knees, heart, trachea and HUU. HUU is the only one that needs to be tested via DNA testing. For some reason people who are going on about colour testing don't seem to be so interested on other tests. If you look at the web sites of those breeders all they talk about is the DNA test they have done to know what colour they carry...

I recently joined that group on FB and got booted out cause I made a comment about the breed standard and that these colours are not in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post

16. Likes Davidh, jimmyjj, ddnene, MacAttack liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Koko Blu
    Likes (Received)

Honestly he looks like a sable tri.. look into it. I also have an English Bulldog.. we got him as a Blue.. but he in the light has a shade of brownish at times other times looks super gray.. eyes are gray, used to be really really blue, and has a few spots on coat.. what is the most recommended dna test for color genes?

19. Likes Hceril liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads