Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 38

Thread: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

  1. #13
    Pet Sitter Biscuitsmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    321
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)
    443

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    In some pics he looks a shade of blue, it's hard to tell what he would carry without DNA testing.

  2. #14
    agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    jimmyjj's Avatar
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Location
    A Scottish guy living in England
    Posts
    2,715
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)
    475

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    I love his markings. Great looking bully


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #15
    Newbie
    Real Name
    Matt Fowler
    Country
    United States
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    7
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    The only thing that I have is a video of when he was young. It's not letting me attach the video. I guess he just has some chocolate along with his fawn so he can't truly be recognized by the AKC for his colors. I was hardly familiar with bulldogs when I got him, and I just always assumed he was fawn. Only recently when I have researched them more when I have thought about possibly studding have I found out that his coat is darker than fawn but lighter than chocolate. I guess they just registered him as fawn with AKC like you said earlier. Should I try to avoid breeding because he's not the traditional colors? Mostly I am just trying to learn the most about the breed as possible.

    How much is DNA testing, and does it tell you every color that the bulldog carries? I've not heard much about that.

    Thanks everybody for your comments & help by the way.

    @Biscuitsmom @nubonics @bullmama @RiiSi

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post
    I love his markings. Great looking bully


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you very much @jimmyjj! That's why I decided to buy him.

  4. Likes 2BullyMama, jimmyjj liked this post
  5. #16
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    I think it's excellent that you are researching. Bloodlines are very important. Are you still in contact with his breeder? Knowing if his siblings are all healthy and none have any health issues is very important. Your boy is gorgeous. I will send you a pm with some reading you can do to further your research- mainly because "studding" really isn't all it's cracked up to be, and is something you really have to think about.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  6. Likes MacAttack liked this post
  7. #17
    Newbie
    Real Name
    Matt Fowler
    Country
    United States
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    7
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    I think it's excellent that you are researching. Bloodlines are very important. Are you still in contact with his breeder? Knowing if his siblings are all healthy and none have any health issues is very important. Your boy is gorgeous. I will send you a pm with some reading you can do to further your research- mainly because "studding" really isn't all it's cracked up to be, and is something you really have to think about.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you very much @bullmama I think that he is completely gorgeous and I honestly have not seen another bulldog with colors exactly the same as him. I am curious how he'll look once he gets older and fills out more because he's 10 months old and they take a bit to fill out all the way. I can order the family tree from AKC and I still have the breeder's contact information. Studding and potentially breeding myself with another bulldog is something I have thought about in the future, but he is always going to be a well treated pet first. I wanted to figure more about his colors and information about breeding before even venturing further into it. Since I have found out that he does not have the traditional bulldog colors, I did not even know if it would be worth it to make those considerations or not. Like I said, though, I would like to at least learn about this stuff and I know that Google has a wide array of information that may or may not be accurate.

    Thanks.

  8. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
  9. #18
    Pet Sitter Biscuitsmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    321
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)
    443

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattfowler2011 View Post
    The only thing that I have is a video of when he was young. It's not letting me attach the video. I guess he just has some chocolate along with his fawn so he can't truly be recognized by the AKC for his colors. I was hardly familiar with bulldogs when I got him, and I just always assumed he was fawn. Only recently when I have researched them more when I have thought about possibly studding have I found out that his coat is darker than fawn but lighter than chocolate. I guess they just registered him as fawn with AKC like you said earlier. Should I try to avoid breeding because he's not the traditional colors? Mostly I am just trying to learn the most about the breed as possible.

    How much is DNA testing, and does it tell you every color that the bulldog carries? I've not heard much about that.

    Thanks everybody for your comments & help by the way.

    @Biscuitsmom @nubonics @bullmama @RiiSi

    - - - Updated - - -



    Thank you very much @jimmyjj! That's why I decided to buy him.
    My girl is traditional fawn and white but as far as breeding colored EBd are "in" right now. I'm part of a breeding group on Facebook and tris are a the rage BUT breeding is much more than colors it's health and bloodlines which he should be tested for if you want to stud him. When I get on my computer I'll link you the group ☺ He is beautiful!

  10. #19
    Newbie
    Real Name
    Matt Fowler
    Country
    United States
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    7
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitsmom View Post
    My girl is traditional fawn and white but as far as breeding colored EBd are "in" right now. I'm part of a breeding group on Facebook and tris are a the rage BUT breeding is much more than colors it's health and bloodlines which he should be tested for if you want to stud him. When I get on my computer I'll link you the group ☺ He is beautiful!
    Thank you @Biscuitsmom. I've already made a commitment to not breed him if he's not healthy with bad hip dysplasia, etc. I'm not sure what EBd is.

  11. Likes Biscuitsmom liked this post
  12. #20
    Drool Catcher Sophatp's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    248
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leonidas
    Likes (Received)
    34

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    -20160202_172513-jpg
    His markings looks like my guy. So he would be chocolate trip

  13. #21
    Pet Sitter Biscuitsmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    321
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)
    443

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattfowler2011 View Post
    Thank you @Biscuitsmom. I've already made a commitment to not breed him if he's not healthy with bad hip dysplasia, etc. I'm not sure what EBd is.
    Sorry english bulldogs, I abbreviate way too much! Everyone these days are into colors, tris, black, chocolates and blues but the AKC doesn't recognize these colors for the show ring. To get him registered they had to put the closest color at that time because only certain ones are listed.

  14. #22
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    My Otis's Avatar
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,386
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)
    1199

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    Buster you are very Handsome

  15. #23
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    English bulldogs come in many colours and black is in the breed. Black is very dominant colour and if they were regognised and used a lot, soon enough most of our bullies would be black. Chocolate, lilac, merle and others that are so called "rare" are not from bulldog. So at some point they have brought it in the breed from some other breed.

  16. Likes Davidh, mybrindlegirl, bullmama, ddnene liked this post
  17. #24
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,705
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3623

    Default Re: Color / DNA of English Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitsmom View Post
    Everyone these days are into colors, tris, black, chocolates and blues but the AKC doesn't recognize these colors for the show ring.
    As stated these colors are not currently recognized by the AKC. To the best of my knowledge the members of the BCA are currently voting to disallow these colors from the AKC registry.
    He's not fawn and he's not brindle. The only way for a "designer" color like this to get AKC registered is for the owner of the dam to misreport the color as, apparently, has happened here. The AKC registry relies on honest reporting and we've seen many misrepresentations over the years.
    That being said, his colors are as cool as they come. I like very much...a very handsome boy you have there.

  18. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •