HELP!!! Does this sound like a UTI???

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
On Mother's Day? Really?!

So last night Gigi had 2 accidents in her crate overnight, which is not normal for her. After we fed her this morning, I took her out to potty and she squatted maybe six times, highly unusual, and when she was done there was definitely some blood in her urine. This was the pattern for the rest of the day. She's sleeping peacefully right now. I'm definitely calling her doctor first thing in the morning. She's still on her antibiotics for the pneumonia also. I'm trying to figure out what might have caused this all of a sudden. Any ideas? Anything that might help until I talk to her doctor tomorrow??

This poor dog just cannot get a break:(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does sound like a UTI...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

So last night Gigi had 2 accidents in her crate overnight, which is not normal for her. After we fed her this morning, I took her out to potty and she squatted maybe six times, highly unusual, and when she was done there was definitely some blood in her urine. This was the pattern for the rest of the day. She's sleeping peacefully right now. I'm definitely calling her doctor first thing in the morning. She's still on her antibiotics for the pneumonia also. I'm trying to figure out what might have caused this all of a sudden. Any ideas? Anything that might help until I talk to her doctor tomorrow??

Awe!! - Gigi, hang in there little lady, Ms Ellie has been through 2 UTI's, her symptoms do sound like it could be a UTI, however a urine sample and trip to vet to verify would be best.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this with Gigi. It definitely sounds like she has a UTI. Frequent urination and blood in the urine are the usual symptoms of a UTI infection in dogs. Even though she is on antibiotics already, it doesn't mean that she couldn't get a UTI. The infection may be caused by a different strain of bacteria that the current antibiotic doesn't cover. She may need something else to clear it up. The only way to know for certain if she has an infection or the strain of the bacteria is by having the vet check her out and by him doing blood tests and or a urine test.

Does Gigi crouch low down to the ground when she pees? Sometimes when a female dog does this, bacteria from the ground or grass can enter her girly parts and cause a UTI. You can help prevent an infection by wiping her with an unscented baby wipe after she pees to keep her area clean. You can also give her a cranberry pill everyday in her kibble to help prevent a UTI. I buy cranberry pills from the drugstore, and I break open the capsule and sprinkle the powder on the kibble. Cranberry helps to prevent bacteria from sticking to the sides of the bladder. She may have developed the infection as a secondary infection from the pneumonia, since her immune system may be weak from the first infection.
She is young and she may have a immature or compromised immune system, which is sometimes common in some bullies, they seem to be much more sensitive than other breeds of dogs. You can try boosting her immune system with natural supplements such as Apple Cider Vinegar, Plain unsweetened yogurt or Greek yogurt for the Probiotics, and a source of Omega Fatty Acids such as Salmon Oil, or Coconut Oil.

I hope she feels better soon, and her infections clear up. Feel better Sweet Girl and stop worrying Mommy.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this with Gigi. It definitely sounds like she has a UTI. Frequent urination and blood in the urine are the usual symptoms of a UTI infection in dogs. Even though she is on antibiotics already, it doesn't mean that she couldn't get a UTI. The infection may be caused by a different strain of bacteria that the current antibiotic doesn't cover. She may need something else to clear it up. The only way to know for certain if she has an infection or the strain of the bacteria is by having the vet check her out and by him doing blood tests and or a urine test.

Does Gigi crouch low down to the ground when she pees? Sometimes when a female dog does this, bacteria from the ground or grass can enter her girly parts and cause a UTI. You can help prevent an infection by wiping her with an unscented baby wipe after she pees to keep her area clean. You can also give her a cranberry pill everyday in her kibble to help prevent a UTI. I buy cranberry pills from the drugstore, and I break open the capsule and sprinkle the powder on the kibble. Cranberry helps to prevent bacteria from sticking to the sides of the bladder. She may have developed the infection as a secondary infection from the pneumonia, since her immune system may be weak from the first infection.
She is young and she may have a immature or compromised immune system, which is sometimes common in some bullies, they seem to be much more sensitive than other breeds of dogs. You can try boosting her immune system with natural supplements such as Apple Cider Vinegar, Plain unsweetened yogurt or Greek yogurt for the Probiotics, and a source of Omega Fatty Acids such as Salmon Oil, or Coconut Oil.

I hope she feels better soon, and her infections clear up. Feel better Sweet Girl and stop worrying Mommy.

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: Apple Cider Vinegar[/h]
Benefits of Apple cider

Hi here is the article on the benefits of apple cider vinegar, these benefits are listed for dogs, but it also has the same benefits to people as well.
I add 2 Tbsp's to the drinking water, or you can put it directly on the evening kibble. I buy the Bragg's Organic brand from Nutrition House, it costs $9.99 for a bottle. Place it in the fridge once you open it.

If you want to take it for yourself, as a detoxifying drink in the morning, boil a mug of water, add 2 Tbsp's of apple cider vinegar, squish the juice of one whole lemon, and a little bit of honey. Drink it, it tastes good like warm lemonade. Apple cider is known around the world as Mother Natureā€™s miracle medicine, a powerful weapon in the war against aging and disease that is more effective than many high-priced prescription drugs. When God created this fruit He designed it be a food and Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is golden liquid concentrated with the healthy goodness of apples. It contains more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, over 6 vitamins, essential acids and several enzymes. Moreover, it has a large dose of pectin for a healthy heart, and thus, healthy as a whole.

Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine, phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) .
ACV is cheap, easy to use and it really benefits our health in numerous ways. ACV can benefit both people and their pets. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and gives the immune system a good boost. As a high potassium electrolyte balancer, it remineralizes the body and helps normalizethe bloodā€™s alkaline acid balance.ACV is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner. Good old apple cider vinegar either straight or diluted 50/50 with water can be applied directly to the affected area and allowed to dry. It will kill bacteria on hot spots, eliminate dandruff, rejuvenate hair, skin and help sweeten and balance the pH levels in the body. When giving your dog a bath, shampoo, rinse, then apply ACV either straight or diluted, followed by rinsing with water. Notice, any residue shampoo will be washed out and you will feel and see an increased softness and sheen to the coat.

Apple cider vinegar is a powerful detoxifying and purifying agent. It breaks down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. By breaking down these substances it improves the health and function of the vital organs, such as the kidneys, bladder and liver, by preventing excessively alkaline urine. Put a tablespoon of ACV in your dogā€™s drinking water every day and you will no longer have those brown spots in your lawn from the dogā€™s urine. This powerful potion also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination, all the while neutralizing any toxic substances that enter the body. Cider vinegar has been found to neutralize any harmful bacteria that may be found in certain foods. While dogs and cats do not have to worry too much about the bacteria in raw meat, if You are in doubt, you can pour a little Apple Cider Cider vinegar can also be beneficial for symptoms such as tooth decay and splitting of your dogā€™s toenails, which can be symptoms of potassium deficiency. Potassium is essential for the replacement of worn-out tissues within the body. This mineral is also important to soft tissue repair, as calcium is to the bones and teeth which makes it a wonderful supplement for senior dogs.

Tests have proven that when potassium, in the form of cider vinegar is fed to livestock their appearance improves and their stamina increases.

Cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, as a supplement added to your petā€™s daily water supply (or poured over the food) or with compresses soaked in hot vinegar applied directly to the joints. It is also thought to be helpful when used to treat allergies, osteoporosis, cancer, candida, high cholesterol, constipation, muscle cramps, colitis, diabetes, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, kidney stones, kidney and bladder problems, metabolism, and stiff joints.

The supplementation of ACV has been known to naturally remove red tear stains from the inside out. It is also used by many to prevent fleas when used in a rinse for the dogā€™s coat.

Recently, Dr. Louis Ducarre of Geneva, Switzerland, author of the fairly new book,Natural Cures, Natural Life states that when mixed with honey, apple cider becomes potent enough to cure cancer, heart disease and other deadly ailments .

Natural apple cider vinegar is found in health food stores. It should be a rich amber color with the ā€œmotherā€ quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.

There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection ā€”they have no health value..

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=1]How to Successfully Treat a UTI - Urinary Tract Infection[/h]

by bullmama

[h=6]
rating-15_2.png
[/h]

Published on 03-05-2013 08:02 PM Number of Views: 28841

Has your English Bulldog been diagnosed with a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)?

Have you already treated it, and it came back?

If your bulldog is currently suffering from a UTI, here is some important tips on how to successfully beat it- for good.​

Symptoms:

• Strong smelling urine
  • Frequent Peeing
  • Accidents in the house (when fully potty trained)
  • Constantly squatting to pee but not peeing much or at all
  • Blood in urine
  • Bleeding (could even seem or look like a heat cycle in unaltered females)

What is a UTI?

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are very common in English Bulldogs, especially in females. Almost all of these infections are caused by bacteria. The infective organisms usually enter the dogā€™s urinary tract through the urethra and work their way up into the urinary bladder, where they lodge and start to proliferate. Sometimes, the bacterial invaders continue to move up the urinary tract, passing from the bladder through the ureters and setting up camp in the kidneys. There are a few other causes of urinary tract infections in dogs, but they are much less common than bacterial infection.

Bacterial UTIs ā€“ The bacteria that infect a dogā€™s urinary tract can come from the environment, or they can come from the dogā€™s own fecal matter as it exits the digestive tract. Either way, bacteria typically enter the urinary tract through the urethra, which is the tube-like structure leading from the urinary bladder to the outside world. Bacterial infection of the bladder is called cystitis. Bacterial infection of the kidneys is called pyelonephritis, of the prostate is called prostatitis and of the urethra is called urethritis. Occasionally, bacteria circulating in the bloodstream will lodge somewhere in the urinary tract and cause infection. The most common bacterial culprits of UTIs in dogs are Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus, Proteus, Enterococcus, Klebsiella, Streptococcus, Enterobacter, Chlamydia and Pseudomonas. Interstitial nephritis is a kidney infection triggered by bacterial organisms, most often by Leptospira interrogans. Most bacterial UTIs in dogs are caused by only one bacterial species. Occasionally, multiple species are involved.

Non-Bacterial UTIs ā€“ Sometimes, organisms other than bacteria cause UTIs in a dogā€™s bladder, kidneys or elsewhere. These include: fungi (Candida, Cryptococcus neoformans, Trichosporon, Rhodotorula, others), mycoplasma, viruses, algae and parasitic worms. Capillaria plica are small worms that can infect a dogā€™s bladder and, less frequently, its ureters and kidneys; dogs become infected by eating earthworms carrying the parasiteā€™s larvae. Giant kidney worms, Dioctophyma renale, can infect a dogā€™s kidneys but are uncommon in pet dogs; dogs become infected by eating infected raw frogs, fish or earthworms.

How to Treat Sucessfully

First of all, there is no home remedies that can treat a UTI. There are many products out there that can help prevent reoccurrence, but antibiotics are the only way to kill the bad bacteria.

At your first vet visit, your vet will likely do a urinalysis and prescribe antibiotics.​

Sucessfully Treating a UTI:

• Finish all antibiotics. Likely after just one day of treatment you will see a huge improvement, thus many owners will start 'slacking' and forget to give the medicine. Don't miss a single dose.
  • Encourage plenty if drinking. Add some broth or juice to their water. Give ice cubes. You want them to basically over drink to help flush put the bad bacteria. Many owners make the mistake of restricting water because they are peeing so much, which is the exact opposite of what needs to be done.
  • Start a supplement. There are many great supplements out there that can help heal. Urinary Tract Supplements, cranberry pills, ect.
  • Add a tablespoon of yogurt to one or both meals. Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria so this will help replace the good bacteria.
  • Schedule a follow up appointment with your vet for the day after the antibiotics are done. You will want another urinalysis done. If the bacteria is gone, you have successfully treated the UTI. More commonly however, you will have NOT cleared the entire colony of bacteria. It only takes a few of them to regrow, and in a week without antibiotics, you will be back to where you started. This is the most important step!!!
  • Treating with Vet prescribed antibiotics gets very expensive.
    donate.gif
    Ask your vet to prescribe something from your local pharmacy to save you some cash, you will need your money for the follow up visits and urinalysis!
  • IMPORTANT: Repeat all above steps until you get a clean urinalysis.

Preventing UTI:

There are many things you can do to prevent UTIs from reoccurring.

• Always leave fresh water available. Promote drinking. Never restrict water intake!
  • Keep privates clean
  • Give a daily supplement like Cranberry Pills or Resources Urinary Tract Support
  • Check their urine every once in a while. If it has a very strong odor, they are not getting enough fluids.
  • Did I mention they need water? ;)
  • Last but not least, WATER WATER WATER!

Most Reactions