We went for a walk!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
A quick update for everyone who is curious. I am moving to Philly on the 21-22 to start our obedience training with Jawnie and also allow a reintroduction with Curly on neutral turf but before I leave we decided to go on walks with all the dogs so they can start understanding the pack before I move 3 out of the 4 dogs to Philly. Our trainer her was concerned that curly would become too "lone wolf" if there wasn't some type of socialization before we left.

Anyhow, the walk went well. Curly did look at Jawnie a few times as if wanted to sniff him but we did not allow that interaction. The point of the activity was to walk and that is all we did. My husband walked Curly and I walked the other 3. I have walking 3 dogs down but 4 is going to be tricky lol.

The walk went really well, Jawnie and curly walked at one point together (with a human between) and there wasn't any weirdness. Then we walked ahead, walked behind, no weirdness. Only a couple of times Curly looked at Jawnie like - are you suppose to be here?

I am still not convince that Curly will not go after Jawnie again, just yet. We need the trigger to occur again. We found out from the friend that came into the yard the day everything happened that he was saying hi to curly when he came in the yard and Jawnie (from what he thought) gave a friendly hello bark, wagging his tail, looked happy to see him and that's when curly snapped.

When we explained this to the trainer she said that it probably is linked to his protectiveness over his toys. We can probably term it as toy aggression but it's more like we need to wrestle the toys to get them away from him but he does not try to bite us and when we have the toy he trieS to get it back from us by jumping at the toy or overly excitedly tries to get us to throw it. The things he likes the most are balls. The older two dog can literally grab toys out of his mouth and we won't go aggressive be he wants to wrestle with the toys.

We unfortunately praised this type of play and now we have to break curly of it. The trainer feels that curly associated my husband and the one friend as a play thing and when Jawnie interrupted play curly did not find it was acceptable. In short we need to simulate this again and take charge of curly but that is a task in itself...

Anyhow step one, walk completed. I'll keep everyone posted on the reintegration(we are going to have the behaviorist with us too)

This is a pic from right after the walk:

e6fd5d6147c0af54b11c3814cb48be99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] that you had a good walk! The picture is funny because that cute peeking face in the background! Hope in the long run everything works out-I know it will because I know you can do it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great update --- and, yes, walks are the best way to get them to 'pack up'!

Love the picture.... Curley peeking through under your little guy's belly ....

good luck with the move and looking forward to your updates

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I'm so proud of your dedication to Curly and Jawnie. I know it must be tough because you just want everyone to get along. And, wow Jawnie is getting biiiiiigggg!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I'm so proud of your dedication to Curly and Jawnie. I know it must be tough because you just want everyone to get along. And, wow Jawnie is getting biiiiiigggg!

He's only 17 weeks too. Getting big fast!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Great update --- and, yes, walks are the best way to get them to 'pack up'!

Love the picture.... Curley peeking through under your little guy's belly ....

good luck with the move and looking forward to your updates

I will try to link up with you when I'm in Philly. I'm not sure if I will have Curly with me but you can potentially meet my Frenchie mix or this Great Dane pup.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will try to link up with you when I'm in Philly. I'm not sure if I will have Curly with me but you can potentially meet my Frenchie mix or this Great Dane pup.

Definitely!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.