How far will your bully walk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
One EBNer a while back mentioned...Never walk a Bulldog further than you can carry Bulldog.

Jewel and Bentley will go on a quarter to half mile walks (around our street---culdesac) without any problem as long as the weather is cool.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke loved going for very short leisurely walks, but many times, he was just stop in the middle of it and lay down --- we had to carry him home.
Banks was all about getting to wherever she was not and as fast as she could, Lewis could take her for like a 1 block jog and then she still wanted to walk.
Lambeau at 19 months is a little bit of both, but we limit walks to very cool days and about 2 blocks

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
At that age not far, I remember taking Biscuit for a walk with my girls and she plopped down half way and wouldn't budge. So we put her on the stroller lol. But now she is almost one and can go a while. I even jogged with her the other day with it was 50's out and she did well. (however she doesn't have breathing issues like some). Girls in the stroller.jpg

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
One EBNer a while back mentioned...Never walk a Bulldog further than you can carry Bulldog.

That is really funny! I had better think twice about even walking out the door then! At 69 lbs, there is no way I am carrying Monty anywhere!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It all depends on the temperature and the dog. All bullies have different tolerance for heat and activity. Some do better than others. Once the panting starts it's time to start heading home. Heat exhaustion can come on very quickly so a good rule of thumb is (as has already been stated)NEVER walk further from home than you can carry your bully if you suddenly need to return.
One thing often overlooked by dog owners is the temperature of the walking surface. Many young dogs have pink(no callouses) feet and black top pavement feels to them the same way it would feel to a human with bare feet. Even tougher paws with callouses can only tolerate but so much. Again, a good rule is, if you cannot stand the temp on your bare feet, then don't subject your Bulldog to it.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

That is really funny! I had better think twice about even walking out the door then! At 69 lbs, there is no way I am carrying Monty anywhere!

I'll say...Monty looks like a very healthy big boy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Hahahaha imagine 69lbs!?!?! Call a cab! Nyala is almost 40lbs @ 7.5 months old.. mini bulldog my ":w00t:"

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.