How far will your bully walk

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We have a 13 week old, Bella, and she is doing just great. The only issue we have, really not even that bad, is sometimes she just doesn't want to walk. The other day I couldn't get her to move more than about 100 yards from the house. Today we went for about 3/4 mile jaunt. The difference is my wife was with me along with our other dog Harley, as in Davidson, a 2 y/o Yorkie. We also walked at the park rather than along the street.
Today was the longest walk to date with her, and I was wondering how far yours likes to go

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Sometimes down the driveway is a struggle. On a good day, down to the end of the cul de sac and back, about 200 yds each way. He doesn't like to walk. He will just plant his feet and that is it, the only option is going back home (at a faster clip!).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala is 7.5 months old. She walks between 3-6 km. BUT yes a BUT... yours is still small. You do not wany them to over do it and damage their hips. 100yards is fine for now. Add a bit of "yards" per day. Baby steps! I walk very early in the morning as its the coolest time of the day so she can do 5-6km but again that 6 km was too much for her I backed that to 4-5max I noticed she pants more when she reach 4km. She wont drink water either. I always bring a bottle and wet her lips so she can lick the water off. Errrrrgggg when temperature starts this summer at 17cel or highr she will be walking only from 1-3km depending on her breathing. It's mostly all about the breathing and hips if they are young. Im a power walker and if days she cant follow its fine. She'll do her shorter walk, bring her home and then I will take my pedal bike and go back. So basically 100yards ar 13weeks is good. Praise her when you walk with her. Not treats, words like GOOD WALK BELLA GOOD WALK....so she can relay good, walk, bella, your tone of voice will make her move more.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine was like that as a puppy too. He would sit and refuse to walk. I found that he would walk farther if I drove him someplace instead of starting from our lawn. At 1 yr old we are still working on leash manners. Today I think we went 1.5 miles which is the longest we have gone. With him I walk in the middle of the street because otherwise he wants to mark every few steps. Even though he likes walks he is the most stubborn dog I have ever had to walk. When he is distracted or pulling I will give a quick tug on the leash and whistle. He has learned to associate this with we are walking not stopping. If he is really insistent I stop and have him sit. I then praise him for sitting and when his attention is on me we start walking again.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
A pup that young, I wouldn't go that far. Little short walks is good. They still need plenty of rest. Plus it depends on the temp. As it gets hotter, then short walks for sure, and only in the early morning, or late evening when it cools off.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Curly was the same - refused to walk until he was about 7-8 months.

He would walk around without a leash though at around 6 months.

We discovered that harnesses made him uncomfortable so we a walk him with a martingale collar. Fortunately he knows how to heel so he never pulls.

Curly now at almost 3 years old will go on 2 mile walks in the cool morning or evenings. It cannot be warmer than 72 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The temps around here haven't topped 60 since we had her. When the weather starts getting warmer we will go in the evening, when it is a lot cooler, and maybe down by the beach. I try to get a little walk out of her daily but it has been raining here all week. If you say 3/4 mile is to long for a pup that young, what distance should I be looking at?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Honestly - at the very furthest I would just go around the block with a puppy that young...curly only went down on side of the block when he was 13 weeks. Walks are not as important at this age - this is the age that they need to associate relieving themselves with outside. So as soon as she goes number one and number 2 she can go back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rufasim

Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We have a back yard that both dogs use. The do relieve themselves while out on walks but they are used mainly for excercise.

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
diamond is coming up on 4 years old and she'll go around the citizen's lodge park with me which is about 4 miles of sprints, easy walking, jogging, and sniffing.

sent from my brick using clay

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say about a block for a pup that young.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel will walk to the garage door (attached to the house) and "plant" herself behind a potted plant. Unless a stranger comes up the drive. Then she goes out to greet them. We have a stroller for anything longer than that.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
WALK - really !!! Punk just looks at me to say " If it does not involve me sitting in my seat in the car - you can forget it!!!!" :lmaogirl:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mabel will walk to the garage door (attached to the house) and "plant" herself behind a potted plant. Unless a stranger comes up the drive. Then she goes out to greet them. We have a stroller for anything longer than that.

I swear some posts are just too funny. Some of you guys [MENTION=5712]Annie1991[/MENTION] crack me up with these visions. Thanks for the :giggle:

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ha, bulldogs are famous for being very lazy! But it is also true that for them too long walks might be not very healthy bcs of hips and overheating. My Tank is now 4 months old and he can walk 5 km a day at the beach, divided into 3 walks. It is quite a lot, but we walk only at the wet even sand, as it puts less impact on his joints than pavement and at the same time not so difficult as dry sand.
But it was not always like this. I've got him when he was 2 months old and at that time he wouldnt walk more than 100 m. I could also see from his body language that he was visibly uncomfortable in general outside. Scared. But I got him from Chinese kennel, which is hell on earth, and he was brought up in small cage, taken away too early from peers and mom, never out of cage. That's why he was very nervous outside, too much space around after cage.
Don't expect too much from your furball.
You will have to be very patient. Slowly but surely your doggy will walk more. Sometimes we walked, then I carried him, then walked again. Slowly he got into walking, as every time he finds something interesting - catches crabs or turtles at the beach. Now he is unhappy only about morning walks, as he is a sleepy sock ( today i even posted on EBN some pics of the looks he gives me when I drag him for a walk in the morning). In the day he is much more enthusiastic. Harness he hates with all his passion, prefers walking independently.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.