Bogey needs a sibling

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Does anyone here have any experience with two intact males in the same home living together? We are looking to bring in another male bully puppy later this year but we're not sure how Bogey (who is also intact) will respond. When the time comes Bogey will almost be 2 years old. Bogey is pretty non confrontational and not at all aggressive. Should we take the plunge and go for it?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have any experience with two males. I have a male and a female, they are siblings and litter mates, so have been together since birth. This is my first time owning two dogs at the same time, but I have heard that sometimes two males can show aggression towards each other, and two females can show jealousy towards each other. I've heard that a male and a female tend to get along better than two same sex dogs. I don't know if that is true or not, but I also know that each dog and each situation is different. It depends on the personality of the dog. I know there are many members who have two dogs of the same sex, either male or female, and they are fine together. When the time comes, it is best to introduce the two dogs to each other in a neutral place to let them get to know each other and to,see how they react to each other.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I had two intact males and there were fights at one point. The older one was about two years old when we got the male pup. All was well until the pup reached 2 years of age. The shared the same toys and bones. My older male Usko, was never aggressive before, but he became very jealouse of us, toys and bones. The younger one was supmissive, but still Usko would attack him. Not viciously, but still it could of escalated in to full fight without our interferance, since Voitto was not going to give up at that point eather. We did a lot of work to correct it and the situation did get better. The older dog has now passed away, but we're bringing home another male and a bitch pup too. Also planning on keeping them intact. Neutering and spaying is not a norm in Finland, without medical reasons.

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
I don't have any experience with two males. I have a male and a female, they are siblings and litter mates, so have been together since birth. This is my first time owning two dogs at the same time, but I have heard that sometimes two males can show aggression towards each other, and two females can show jealousy towards each other. I've heard that a male and a female tend to get along better than two same sex dogs. I don't know if that is true or not, but I also know that each dog and each situation is different. It depends on the personality of the dog. I know there are many members who have two dogs of the same sex, either male or female, and they are fine together. When the time comes, it is best to introduce the two dogs to each other in a neutral place to let them get to know each other and to,see how they react to each other.

Hhhmmmmm.... Maybe a female is in order then.... thanks for getting back vikinggirl!!

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
I had two intact males and there were fights at one point. The older one was about two years old when we got the male pup. All was well until the pup reached 2 years of age. The shared the same toys and bones. My older male Usko, was never aggressive before, but he became very jealouse of us, toys and bones. The younger one was supmissive, but still Usko would attack him. Not viciously, but still it could of escalated in to full fight without our interferance, since Voitto was not going to give up at that point eather. We did a lot of work to correct it and the situation did get better. The older dog has now passed away, but we're bringing home another male and a bitch pup too. Also planning on keeping them intact. Neutering and spaying is not a norm in Finland, without medical reasons.

RiiSi, you summed up exactly what I thought would happen when the new pup turns about 2 years old, testing their limits. I don't plan on neutering/spaying for breeding purposes but I'm a little concerned about what may happen if/when I bring in a female and she comes in heat. I do realize it will be difficult if not impossible for them to naturally mate but do I need to keep them separated? Thanks for your time bulldog nation!

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
How is Bogey around other dogs?

He is amazing with other dogs. However, he's had one run in with another intact male at a bully meet up. The other bully was attempting to hump a female who clearly had no interest by walking away and breaking free from his clutches. This other bully was pretty determined tho. Bogey was doing his own thing sniffing around the grounds when the female came close to Bogey with the other male in hot pursuit. This other dog went after Bogey and he defended himself while the other owner was having a good time laughing at their antics (I was pissed at his lack of attempt to control his dog.) This other bully was fighting with others that day as well. Fast forward to last weekend, we went to a bully fundraiser and guess who's there? Yup! They met again and this bully went for round two with Bogey. Thankfully no injuries occurred for both dogs but other than this particular bully, Bogey has been fantastic with other dogs.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.