Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wallygator & Willow are fighting… Ugh!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wallygator & Willow are fighting… Ugh!

THANK YOU so much for all the advice, I really appreciate it!!!

There is a LOT going on at my house right now… my grandson & his momma are moving out, hubby is home… it's been craziness. PLUS a lot is going on w/Wally… and we don't seem to have definite answers right now. Hopefully the neutering will help, but I know that it will take some time. Wally DOES have a safe place to go to when he has one of his "episodes", he will head to my bedroom. AND he doesn't try to fight me on anything… he isn't trying to push the boundaries yet. It's interesting that Nikki was saying that he is dire need of self-control and I completely agree. I think that if he can control his reactions and learn self-calming behaviors then a LOT of this madness will stop.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

2. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Davidh said it right. Stand in front and be ready with a NO. Dont repeat. Once is enough, grab him put him down for 10 mins on the side. Do NOT let him win. Stand there over him as that will show him YOU'RE the alpha not him. Just have your upper body above his head, keep one hand on his side chest and other hand on his neck pushing him down and say STAY. Also I suggest you are there get a choker on him for training. If you grab that choker when he's ready to beef up, grab him and yank it, put him down, stay above him on one knee and hold him down for a minute till he's calm down but leave him in that position for 10 mins. At the meantime, your other dog will see what you're doing and will back off. Dont let him get close. If he does say BACK. I like to use the word NOW if they didn't listen first time. Stretch your NNOOWWWW. It takes a lot of patience from you. Just breathe, shake off the nerves, then jump in.

Ive worked 20 yrs with kids mostly teens. I know some wont understand this but raising a dog is like raising a child. If you let your child do what they want in the first couple years of their lives cause we find it cute or funny etc etc, you're basically screwed and will start yelling, rambling and child will never listen and do what they want with you. You got to draw the line somewhere to get balance. So what do you do? Stand up, be the boss and don't give a choice. After all, you're the one that pays the bills and puts a roof over their heads and you're buying dog food lolll ok, that was my 2 cents on being the human alpha.
    LORD don't get me started on my kids… that is another thread ALL together… can I send my kids to Canada?!! Maybe Wallygator too…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

4. Likes Chumley, Texas Carol, suzyrainbows liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

I just read this Tracey. I hope you're able to get a handle on it. There's so much going on at your house you probably dobt know where to start!
    Hopefully the neutering helps Wally a bit. We have fights here but it's usually Hershey lunging at chum in a hey lets play type of manner...Chum used to hold his own but with his leg issue now he just roles over and they grapple and bite each other's jowls. It turns nasty occasionally when a toy is involved Hershey gets serious. Usually jus a very loud No and he backs off. I can see on your end how much of a concern it becomes when you fear they're going to seriously hurt each other or when they're afraid of each other or not eating. Sorry for the delayed response ....very busy here too...and chum is going bald.
    Good lick and hope you make headway with the behaviorist

6. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol, ddnene liked this post
    Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Sorry you are having this problem. I agree with @brutus77, great advice. When you see the first sign, yell out NO, or KNOCK IT OFF!!!! Stand up and get in from of him if you have too. Stopping it before it starts is key. Hopefully he will finally get it and stop this behavior. Plus since he was recently neutered his hormones are going crazy and will so for a few months.
    I agree about the hormones, David. While it may have been a problem before the surgery, both the hormones and the discomfort from the surgery are probably making him a little more short-tempered.

I used to train our giant breed puppies to know that I was alpha. As our breeder said to me, "When they act aggressive, knock them on their butts." I used to hold the dogs in a down until they knew that struggling didn't work against me. I had to do that because once they reached their full 145 pounds I would never have been able to even get their attention. Norton was easy. Trixie took longer. She would grumble, but she listened to me when I needed her to stop what she was doing. Thank goodness Mabel is so easy!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

8. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol, ddnene liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

When we adopted Joey and Frasier they were both intact... they were "sold" as a breeding couple, health issues and all included anyway... we fixed them both after we got them home and shortly after that Frasier started to attack Joey for no reason. So like others have said, it might be his hormones playing a big role in that happening right now

Send your "brats" to me, here in Africa we don't float around on a banana peel, lol.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

10. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
    Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We've had issues with Vegas and Orion since Orion was 4 months old. She always instigated it. Bossy little thing. 6 years later and she still starts them. We never went the route of behaviorist or trainers. But we did find that Prozac is helping a lot. It amazes me how many less fights she has started since Christmas. Santa did good bringing her Prozac.

I was worried it would change her spirit and change her personality. Nope. She is still the wacky little girl she's always been. Just better equipped to handle her aggression.

12. Likes Texas Carol, Davidh, 2BullyMama, Petra liked this post
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    We've had issues with Vegas and Orion since Orion was 4 months old. She always instigated it. Bossy little thing. 6 years later and she still starts them. We never went the route of behaviorist or trainers. But we did find that Prozac is helping a lot. It amazes me how many less fights she has started since Christmas. Santa did good bringing her Prozac.

I was worried it would change her spirit and change her personality. Nope. She is still the wacky little girl she's always been. Just better equipped to handle her aggression.
    Well we may go the medicine route if things don't improve… we are just trying to find the cause, and if there is no medical reason then it's just him

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads