What's the biggest thing your dog has swallowed and did it pass?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
What is the biggest thing your dog has swallowed? Did it pass? I just know I'm going to run into the situation where he swallows something large and I won't know what to do and the vet probably isn't open. In what instance should you consider inducing vomiting?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala hasn't swallowed anything big. Hopefully she doesn't. But yesterday someone posted his/her dog swallowed a mango seed. Most of the time it will pass after 2-3 poops. If not you will need an xray. :(

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
My bulldog hasn't swallowed anything that I've seen. However I used to have a puggle that ate EVERYTHING, underwear, shirts, hats, drywall. I once saw her poop out a piece of cloth from a shirt as long as she was! How she survived doing that I will never know.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus has eaten socks and underpants!! He is so gross. Thank god everything passed sucessfully.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kim. When Blossom was a puppy, she swallowed 7 bags of penny candy from the Bulk Barn. My Hubby had bought my Grandson a variety of candies like gummy bears, sour keys, gummy worms, sour watermelons, and Maltesers. I was worried because I knew that chocolate was poison to dogs. I rushed her to the vet and she induced vomiting. She threw up 5 bowls of candy all undigested and then her kibble, which she had eaten first, so the vet said everything was out of her stomach. She told me that the Maltesers are milk chocolate so would not have poisoned her, maybe just caused diarrhea, the chocolate that is dangerous is dark chocolate, baking chocolate or real Cocoa, basically the higher percentage of cocoa in the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Another time she swallowed a piece of a Kong Wubba, which she ended up vomiting up. Dozer on the other hand loves to swallow sweat socks, and has done so on 4 occasions. I only saw him do it once, the other times, I didn't know he had swallowed them. He has always been able to either throw them up or poop them out. The one that I saw him swallow was in his stomach for a whole month before he threw it up. I watched his poop for a week for signs of the sock, and I watched him for signs of obstruction, but he acted normal, ate and drank normal, and played. Then one morning I woke up, and he threw up in his crate, and there was the sock. Most of the time except for one they have been my Grandsons socks that he takes off and leaves around, and once it was one of my short ankle socks, and it was a thin cotton one, so maybe that's why we've been lucky that he has been able to pass them, because they were a small child's sock. I know that you can induce vomiting with Hydrogen Peroxide, but it can be dangerous to do it, because the object can get lodged in the throat or trachea when it comes back up, and cause a choking hazard. I would ask a vets advice before doing this. Many times they will swallow something and we don't even know it, and they just pass it through their poop or vomit it up and are fine, so many things can pass, but if we see or know that they have swallowed something, or we suspect because something is missing or a piece of toy is gone, then all we can do is watch their poop to see if the object passes, and look for signs of obstruction, which are vomiting and or diarrhea,
drooling water or saliva from the mouth, and being lethargic. If you see these signs and you suspect or know your dog has swallowed something then you should take him to the vet for a check up and x rays or a scope.

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
Penny swallowed a corn on the cobb cobb from a 4th of july picnic that she some how managed to get a hold of, and we found out in January when it had become an obstruction. I almost didn't believe the vet when she said that is what she swallowed because we don't eat on the cobb regularly(kids in braces and all that) and I said the only way she would have gotten it was at our annual Crab boil on the 4th and that was 6 months ago. The vet said she has pulled out 6 month old peach pits out of dogs before so yes it could be that old. It had a hole in it where things were passing through until they couldn't. They gave her something to help her pass it.
Dealing with what I am dealing with Bristol having aspiration pneumonia after being intubated I don't know that I would ever induce vomiting in my dogs but I would absolutely run them to the vet and let the vet decide if that was the only way.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Only thing Harlea has swallowed are socks that she manages to find. Lucky for us she has always puked them back up a few days to a week later.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Dozer, my 5th rescue, swallowed a 4" rubber basketball after he chewed it into smaller pieces(8 pieces as I recall).

That ball stayed in his stomach for over a year and became petrified before it was found quite by accident while X-raying him for something unrelated. He underwent surgery in September 2014 and recovered nicely...not bad for a 10+ yr. old bully. However, he passed from congestive heart failure 6 months later.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Inducing vomiting should be a last resort as if the item/object is too big it may get stuck in the throat.
Banks ate a stone and surgery was needed, that is the biggest we had with her. However, having worked at a dog daycare for 4 years, I can tell you WOW, what they eat that comes back up or out the other end :bigeyes:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
A Boeing 747 for Bentley. he got the remote and flew it out of his belly. He still thinks he is a Captain of the plane.

My response is balderdash, but I just wanted to contribute for the halibut.

karlajgee

Jun 13, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy
When Murphy was a puppy (second day we had him), we didn't know any better and got him some of those long rawhides and almost had a heart attack when he swallowed the whole thing! Fortunately, he was okay.

Nowadays his favorite thing to swallow are those squeakers in toys. Those are like gold to him. He prances around, shows it off because he knows he isn't supposed to have them! He doesn't have any squeaker toys now but when he swallowed them before he would always throw them back up.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh yeah...almost forgot...
Zoey, at 3 yrs old, was dropped off at a Vet practice with orders to put here down. Supposedly she had been throwing up and passing only "soft serve" stools for several weeks. Owners stated that she had bad knees too. The Vet asked them if they would surrender to rescue. Enter OTR and now my wife, Sandy. She had the vet do a barium study on her digestive tract which came back unremarkable. Vet had no easy answer to her condition and Zoey was very weak and thin and did have a bad set of rear wheels...but not knees, t'was hip dispalsia.

Sandy took her home and decided to give her a few days and see what happens before making the decision to test more or put her down. The next morning Zoey was outside trying to poop with Sandy watching closely. She, Zoey, would assume the position and then take a few steps and then assume poop position again...perhaps 10 times this went on.
Finally, Sandy notices something protruding from Zoey's backsides. She grabbed her car keys(in case of emergency) and a few paper towels and gets ahold of the foreign object making its way out. Slowly and patiently she gives gentle pressure to what turned out to be a 2' long piece of 1/2" rope. WTH?! A few days later Zoey is gaining weight and a couple of months after that she has bilateral FHO surgery. Two months after that I adopt her. Nine months after that I marry Sandy. :)
Win, win, win, win...

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Oh yeah...almost forgot...
Zoey, at 3 yrs old, was dropped off at a Vet practice with orders to put here down. Supposedly she had been throwing up and passing only "soft serve" stools for several weeks. Owners stated that she had bad knees too. The Vet asked them if they would surrender to rescue. Enter OTR and now my wife, Sandy. She had the vet do a barium study on her digestive tract which came back unremarkable. Vet had no easy answer to her condition and Zoey was very weak and thin and did have a bad set of rear wheels...but not knees, t'was hip dispalsia.

Sandy took her home and decided to give her a few days and see what happens before making the decision to test more or put her down. The next morning Zoey was outside trying to poop with Sandy watching closely. She, Zoey, would assume the position and then take a few steps and then assume poop position again...perhaps 10 times this went on.
Finally, Sandy notices something protruding from Zoey's backsides. She grabbed her car keys(in case of emergency) and a few paper towels and gets ahold of the foreign object making its way out. Slowly and patiently she gives gentle pressure to what turned out to be a 2' long piece of 1/2" rope. WTH?! A few days later Zoey is gaining weight and a couple of months after that she has bilateral FHO surgery. Two months after that I adopt her. Nine months after that I marry Sandy. :)
Win, win, win, win...

Some people are just so undeserving of having a bulldog. I'm glad you stepped in.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I learned his ball size limit yesterday when he almost choked on a ball. 2.5" is too small, I should have gone by my gut but I got it on Amazon. Next time I will know better; he is fine and it is going back. I'm so glad we are so vigilant with new toys. He was fine with it for about 2 weeks.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I learned his ball size limit yesterday when he almost choked on a ball. 2.5" is too small, I should have gone by my gut but I got it on Amazon. Next time I will know better; he is fine and it is going back. I'm so glad we are so vigilant with new toys. He was fine with it for about 2 weeks.
the most durable ball we've given has been a Lacrosse ball. Over 3" and super tough.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.