brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie has been giving us a lot of trouble going into his kennel lately when we go out, so I decided to start small and let him stay out while we were gone for short errands. Brutus always goes happily in his kennel. Anyway, Frankie has proven himself a good boy and sleeps the entire time we are gone. He has graduated to being out all day while we are at work. My daughter came home yesterday to find him sleeping in his favorite chair, completely upside down with all four legs sticking straight up in the air!!! I curse the fact that she didnt snap a picture. I guess he is enjoying the extra leg room! lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yup hard letting them free for first time.... Nyala goes in her kennel on her own at night time. She feels comfortable in her kennel. I leave the door open and she can decide where she wants to sleep. But it's mostly night as day time when I come in n out she's on her bed in living room.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
That's how I start with mine. Short trips to the store,and little by little leaving them out.They are all 3 "freebirds" now,and no bail needed!!! Lucky Frankie!!

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's how I start with mine. Short trips to the store,and little by little leaving them out.They are all 3 "freebirds" now,and no bail needed!!! Lucky Frankie!!
How do they do out together?? They are out together all night and just sleep on the chair and couch, but I am nervous leaving the house and having them together. God forbod they fight and I'm not there to break it up. I think I will continue to put Brutus in his kennel since he likes it.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thats good to hear. Harlea has free roam of the house for the most part. She is only in her crate for meals and at night. We still have her play pen that we will put her in if no one is home and we will be gone longer than an hour or two.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
How do they do out together?? They are out together all night and just sleep on the chair and couch, but I am nervous leaving the house and having them together. God forbod they fight and I'm not there to break it up. I think I will continue to put Brutus in his kennel since he likes it.

Mine do fine together-they only fight when I am home!!! If it will worry you, just leave Brutus in his crate-he doesn't seem to mind. I think they pretty much sleep while I am gone.....

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww what a good boy!!! Willow gets locked up, but we give Wallygator free roam… he just sleeps away, and I'm sure walks by his sister in the pen!!! :biglaugh:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Your baby is all grown up now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
For those that let them free has there been an average age? We got Penny as a rescue we think around 3 or 4. We put her in a crate when we were gone and she hated it, like chew on the metal bars til she bled hated it and we decided she needed to be free and we never have a problem with her. Bristol is just a pup (11 months)and a chewer and I would be afraid she would chew on something and hurt herself.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
@ brutus77 Ohhhhh they grow up so fast! Good boy Frankie! Show momma you can be trusted now and be the man of the house while no one is home. How's Brutus by the way?

For those that let them free has there been an average age? We got Penny as a rescue we think around 3 or 4. We put her in a crate when we were gone and she hated it, like chew on the metal bars til she bled hated it and we decided she needed to be free and we never have a problem with her. Bristol is just a pup (11 months)and a chewer and I would be afraid she would chew on something and hurt herself.

We never crated ours. Ok we did but only for 3 days, when he was 2 months old. He was never a chewer and never a whiner. Never have a problem with him being alone in the house except that i feel bad that he's there alone when we're gone.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
What a good boy

That's how I did it FTSE little time to now always except at night when he goes to bed he needs his playpen for security reasons I think he sits by it when he wants to go to bed.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it depends on the dog rather than age really. Frankie is also a rescue that came to us at 2yrs. He was kept in his crate the majority of the time. He basically let us know when he had enough of the crate. about a month after we got him he decided he wanted to sleep on the couch like his puppy brother Brutus and loved it. Like I said in my post, lately he would go under the dining room table when we would call him into his crate so we could leave the house and it was such a pain, I decided to try leaving him out and have not had any trouble so far. Now my other bully Brutus has to be crated when we go out because he loves to chew the area rugs when we leave. Brutus will be 4 in November and I have tried several times to leave him out but to no avail!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Joey is 11 months old and I started in February to transition her out of the crate to free roam. She never used the crate to sleep but she was ok going in. I stopped crating her at this point. She is doing great, went 3.5 hours last Friday and 4 hours Saturday night. I have cameras set up that I can talk through just in case. She just sits in her chair waiting, sleeping, etc., won't even play with her toys.

I followed close instruction from some members here and it worked great!! I will be happy to share with you anytime.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online