Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerky Treats...They seem dangerous...

Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harley
    Likes (Received)

Default Jerky Treats...They seem dangerous...

Hi All

I have purchased Chicken breast jerky treats and found only 4 or 5 in a pack... at 2 to 3 months old I would break them up and give pieces... now I am scared to give to him because he doesn't chew much and tries to swallow them. I've pulled a few out of his mouth before he chocked..

I purchased a dehydrator and made some of my own but now not giving them anymore. He is 6 months old now and just wants to swallow them..

Anyone else have same experience?

Regards
    Lou

2. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jerky Treats...They seem dangerous...

I haven't found a solution. I used to give him dental bones and dehydrated sweet potatoes but he doesn't chew them enough. He did chew better if I held it while he gnawed the dental bones. I've pretty much stopped giving him these things.

4. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

My husband got some jerky treats and the little schnauzer loves them--chew,chew,chew. EBD Frith--not so much--same story as yours: tried to swallow and choked. I think it depends upon the temperament of your dog.
    Fritthy

6. Likes helsonwheels, Vikinggirl liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I just won't risk it… bulldogs are notorious for swallowing everything whole. There are SO many more treat options to choose from...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I just won't risk it… bulldogs are notorious for swallowing everything whole. There are SO many more treat options to choose from...
    Agreed
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

9. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harley
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for replies
    Mine lives only for food and treats so to make him happy I give him semi soft treat I make myself from recipe the kindergarten dog trainer gave me..

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LouLanaro View Post
    Thanks for replies
    Mine lives only for food and treats so to make him happy I give him semi soft treat I make myself from recipe the kindergarten dog trainer gave me..
    Hi Lou, you've been given great advice and I totally agree with not giving these treats, as they are dangerous. Go with your gut instinct, plus you know your dog. Many bullies are food motivated and they just inhale their food without chewing it first. My guys just grab and swallow treats, so I stay away from treats that are hard or big pieces, like jerky treats, Nylabones, milk bones etc. I buy them Benny Bully Freeze Dried Liver and I break them up, they are all natural just liver and preservatives or colours added, and they are soft, I give them fruitables treats ( the little ones) and also Well ess soft chews, or Zekes peanut butter treats, which are also all natural. The only other treats they get are fruits like bananas, cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, or watermelon. I give them yogurt and peanut butter, and you can make frozen treats out of these in the summer. I take a ice cube tray and place plain yogurt and a tsp of peanut butter in each cup and place it in the freezer. I used to give them baby carrots, but now only give them cooked carrots, because they didn't chew them and they would poop out baby carrot bullets. Lol

whereabouts in Canada are you from? And I was wondering if you would share the soft treat recipe you make? I'm always looking for good recipes for homemade food or treats for my guys. Thank You in advance.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris Bullski
    Likes (Received)

Yeah I've given up on giving Boris any treats that requiring chewing before swallowing as he'll usually swallow it whole and puke it up later on in the evening... My GF makes him frozen yogurt and coconut oil treats in ice cube trays mixed with ground pumpkin and they do the job and save us some money on treats

Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    whereabouts in Canada are you from? And I was wondering if you would share the soft treat recipe you make? I'm always looking for good recipes for homemade food or treats for my guys. Thank You in advance.
    Hi Vikinggirl
    I live in Collingwood Ontario

Here is the recipe and a few Pictures
    I used a jerky gun but The trainer just spread over cookie sheet then cut with Pizza Cutter

"From Her"
    2 Cans of Sardines/Tuna/Salmon (I often
    do 1 can of sardines and one can of Tuna)
    2 Sleeves of soda crackers
    6 Eggs

Blend everything together. Add a little extra oil/water just to make the mixture more spreadable (never have really measured how much
    unfortunately, but the end result should be a mixture that spreads over a cookie sheet pretty easily). It shouldn't been too thick.

Spread entire mixture over a cookie sheet so that it covers the full sheet. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Will be lightly golden. Let cool. Score into pieces (a pizza cuter works awesome for this!). Soft treats, so easy to break down smaller after as well.

Lasts about 4 days in fridge, but for ages in freezer!

-blender-jpg-blender1-jpg
    -gun-jpg-treats2-jpg

14. Likes Frith liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Lou. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'll definitely have to try these. I'm sure my cat would probably go crazy for them as well, with all that fish in them. She always sits beside the dog bowls while they are eating and waits for them to finish so she can lick the bowls. She swats me with her paw ( she's declawed) as well when she sees them getting a treat, because she wants one too.

I live in Burlington, Ontario, maybe I will see you and Harley at Woofstock one day, or at a future Bully Meetup. I sometimes go to the Toronto Group Meetups.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

The FDA is still warning about jerky treats purchased at stores.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Lou. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'll definitely have to try these. I'm sure my cat would probably go crazy for them as well, with all that fish in them. She always sits beside the dog bowls while they are eating and waits for them to finish so she can lick the bowls. She swats me with her paw ( she's declawed) as well when she sees them getting a treat, because she wants one too.

I live in Burlington, Ontario, maybe I will see you and Harley at Woofstock one day, or at a future Bully Meetup. I sometimes go to the Toronto Group Meetups.

Hi Vikinggirl
    I don't get that way that much but never know..

18. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads