Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
After a horrible visit to the ER last Saturday night, and many unsuccessful vet visits, I think with the new bulldog experienced vet we saw this Saturday, we might have some light at the end of that long, long tunnel.

Our appointment was at 1pm on Saturday. We took all of the X-rays that she has had since this started, for him to review. After looking at those, and doing some bloodwork, he had some positive things to say. She did have a high white blood cell count, and her lung did sound wet and congested, so he agrees with pneumonia, but decided to do a respiratory disease panel, and change her over to some better meds. He did see that she has a narrow trachea, but it wasn't the worst he's ever seen. He said her nose and tail look great and that her palate wasn't too bad. He also does not see any evidence of megaesophagus, and to feed her normally, but to slow her down he suggests a slow down bowl for sure. She was on clavamox and baytril, but he switched her over to doxycycline and a z-pack.

So we are extremely hopeful that this is the answer we've been looking for. Since she's started taking her new meds, we've seen her energy level start to rise and she's been breathing easier. Finger crossed, and positive thoughts. I will let y'all know what comes back on the respiratory panel.

I also want to thank every one of y'all who took the time to give valuable advice, listen to my venting, and send prayers. I don't know what I would've done without this forum.

:heartsign:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a promising post! So happy things are turning around and you have a new vet to work with you snd Gigi!!

Continuing to send prayers and positive thoughts --- hugs and kisses to Gigi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Thank you for keeping us posted!- I was thinking of you and Gigi today, so nice to see some better things coming your and Gigi's way

Will keep you and Gigi in our thoughts!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Good news! I hope this will be the "yellow brick road" to GiGi's recovery! :pray:and more:pray:!

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
That is great news. Our little one is in the oxygen cage with pneumonia now so I know how scary it can be and I agree having a bulldog vet makes all the difference. Keep us posted. Prayers for a quick recovery

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you for update as I've checked in & out here to see any news of Gigi.

Sounds like great news and hopeful improvements, hugs & kisses for all :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
FANTASTICOOOOOO!!! Ahhhh our little trooper Gigi. So glad you're getting positive feedback. :yes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
That is great news. Our little one is in the oxygen cage with pneumonia now so I know how scary it can be and I agree having a bulldog vet makes all the difference. Keep us posted. Prayers for a quick recovery

Dont worry your little one will be fine! Hang in there. Positive news for Gigi and so will yours :yes:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww I'm so happy to be reading this update. I'm glad that things are looking better for Gigi, and that you now have a vet that you can trust and have more confidence in. I hope she has continued improvement. Sending positive thoughts and hugs and prayers.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
This makes me so so happy to hear!!!! Lots of love to little Gigi. She sure is lucky to have you!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Well this is a great start to my morning; reading this...
Very good news, indeed!

OP
Jenni23

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
A Gigi update:

So this past Saturday, we went for our 2 week recheck with our new bulldog vet in Maryland. Gigi had been put on new antibiotics for 2 weeks at our last visit. She did develop cystitis in between vet visits, they gave her a shot of convenia for that and it cleared up. Her urinalysis did not show any bacteria, but she did have struvite crystals. We put her on a urinary supplement, and she's had no problems since.

As for the recheck of her pneumonia, everything is great and she was given a clean bill of health! Hallelujah, praise the lord!! What a long road that was!

So the vet said to wait 4 more weeks before getting her rabies vaccine and then at the end of June, she will be spayed and palate shortened.

Since she has gotten well, we have seen her true personality emerge. No one told me Bulldogs have this much energy, lol, she can be a real tyrant:). We are happy to finally see her enjoy what's left of her puppyhood. She turned 5 months old on May 6th, and she weighs 22lbs.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
A Gigi update:

So this past Saturday, we went for our 2 week recheck with our new bulldog vet in Maryland. Gigi had been put on new antibiotics for 2 weeks at our last visit. She did develop cystitis in between vet visits, they gave her a shot of convenia for that and it cleared up. Her urinalysis did not show any bacteria, but she did have struvite crystals. We put her on a urinary supplement, and she's had no problems since.

As for the recheck of her pneumonia, everything is great and she was given a clean bill of health! Hallelujah, praise the lord!! What a long road that was!

So the vet said to wait 4 more weeks before getting her rabies vaccine and then at the end of June, she will be spayed and palate shortened.

Since she has gotten well, we have seen her true personality emerge. No one told me Bulldogs have this much energy, lol, she can be a real tyrant:). We are happy to finally see her enjoy what's left of her puppyhood. She turned 5 months old on May 6th, and she weighs 22lbs.
WTG GIGI!! [emoji7] [emoji7] keep it up girl, yes these little one can have quite the energy levels!! So Great to hear this good news

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A Gigi update:

Fantastic.... so good to hear she is progressing so well and showing that little devil in her! :) great work Momma!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
This is the best news. I hope it just gets better from here!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.